Proposal: Don't Rent....Buy the final core piece.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I personally want nothing to do with Erik Karlsson. Yes he is 28 but his ankle injuries scare me. If John Carlson becomes a free agent, i would like to go hard after him. Zeke, whats your opinion on John?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
A couple years removed from a last place finish and the Pens raided the cupboard for the likes of Kunitz, Guerin, and recchi.

A couple years removed from a last place finish and the hawks raided the cupboard for the likes of Hossa.

A couple years removed from a last place finish and the Kings raided the cupboard for the likes of Carter, Richards.
We’re also no where near the team we were when we finished last 2 years ago.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Then pay for it.

Later.

Once Dermott is a reputable NHL asset with trade value, or once Lilgegren is a repuable NHL asset with trade value.

It's laughable that a year and a half of some winning hockey, with some depth, and everyone thinks this team is someone one move away from being a contender?

Give yourself a reality check.

When a pretty meh Washington Capitals team turned it on last season, the Leafs couldn't live with them. Especially in game 6. And there's several teams that are far better than the Capitals this season.

But you want us to believe the Leafs are just one piece away?

Calm yourself before you hurt yourself

:laugh:

We're also better than we were last year. Why do you give other teams credit and not this one. You're another "fan" who can't accept that this is a really good team. Always a caveat when we beat somebody. Excuses as to why we are where we are in the standings. It never ends.

All of this "But we're not ready!!" You sound like an over-bearing mother who never lets their kid go swimming without a life jacket. Like Bobby Boucher's mother. If we can get a piece that will be here long term, and get them at a reasonable cost, now is as good a time as any. If it costs Lily/1st/etc or something, than so be it. Nobody wants the cupboard stripped bare, but a deal that involves Lily/1st isn't stripping it bare at all.

Relax, and accept that the team is far better than you give them credit for.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
I badly want to add Tavares, just like I wanted to add stamkos last year. Would allow nylander to continue to ride shotgun with Matthews, and bozak can take off. There's ways to make the cap work.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'm advocating for the same thing zeke is.
I didn't write it that well but I was agreeing with you. :D
I agree with the premise too, think there's very few opportunities like this that come along for teams to compete in two different situations.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Erik Johnson would be a great addition. Would cost Liljegren and a 1st though to start imo.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
We're fifth in the East in GA, with 3rd within reach (Columbus has allowed 6 less goals, but has played 3 less games. And we play them Wednesday.)

Not bad considering I keep hearing that we're a tire fire defensively.

The Freddie Anderson effect.

If Freddie puts up his career average this season, which is just slightly less than his numbers this season, that makes a huge difference on where this team is in GA - that's how many shots, shot attempts, and chances he faces every night.

The Leafs don't owe anyone an apology for finally having a good goaltender, but for god sakes let's stop pretending that just because we have a goaltender delivering elite-level goaltending, that we are somehow good defensively.

As a fanbase we are smarter than that.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
So the Leafs are really good. Borderline contenders type good.

They should be seriously trying to win as soon as this year, and most definitely the next couple of years.

People keep speculating about potentially selling some of our rentals or buying someone else's rentals, but for me, that's really not the market we should be playuing in right now.

The target should be a core piece signed for multiple years. A guy to complete the core and who will be around for a few years at least.

And we should be willing to offer up multiple real young assets to get this piece.

For me, that means a strong top pair defensive minded dman. A legit borderline #1 type who plays against elite lines, but also has some skill. But if you think we need something else that's fine too.

But imo now's not the time to nibble around the edges - we should be looking at a legit core talent that's locked up for a bit. Maybe a McDonagh, maybe a Weber, maybe an Erik Johnson......but something along those lines, imo. and we should be willing to give up liljegrens and first rounders to do it.

That's how we move into legit contender/favorite status, and not just for this year.
No.

When the time comes, we'll maybe make such a move but the time is not now. We're still building and have some holes we really need to Spackle over first.

We may be a true contender next season but this one is a bit early.

Reactions: rumman

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
A couple years removed from a last place finish and the Pens raided the cupboard for the likes of Kunitz, Guerin, and recchi.

A couple years removed from a last place finish and the hawks raided the cupboard for the likes of Hossa.

A couple years removed from a last place finish and the Kings raided the cupboard for the likes of Carter, Richards.

Just plain wrong zeke

Can't remember what Pitts gave up for those guys, but I don't think it was much

Hossa was signed in Chicago not traded for.....

Are you really going to compare Jack Johnson and a 1st to 2 first 2 top 30 prospects and Carrick? Haha pass me what you're taking Zeke I've had a bad day and could use some happy time. Although they did raid the cupboards for Richard, It was a pretty bad deal for them looking at it now

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I personally want nothing to do with Erik Karlsson. Yes he is 28 but his ankle injuries scare me. If John Carlson becomes a free agent, i would like to go hard after him. Zeke, whats your opinion on John?

One of the best players in the entire world. He would replace Matthews as our best player but not good enough for the Leafs. Alrighty.

Sell off JVR Bozak Martin Komarov for any pick you can get then add to whatever that is and just deliver it to them already. Just try and avoid giving our prospects, all picks if possible.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
We will struggle to have as much depth after Matthews, Marner and Nylander extensions kick as we do right now.

I don't think we will or should sell the farm to make it happen but the time to load up and take our swing is absolutely now.

The depth the Leafs have accumulated now, is due to the organizational philosophy of no longer giving up draft picks.

What prevents you from keeping that depth, is trading it + picks away, not the extensions to the kids.

Reactions: MattySnipes

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
A kid who was projected to go top 5 in the draft last season, until his health became an issue, has only played 25 games with the Marlies this year due to injury.

"Not being high on him" comes from a place of bias, instead of reasonable thought and common sense.

What Bias do I have!? :laugh:

I barely paid attention to the draft outside of Liljegren last year, and watched all the same things you did in the lead up, and after. I was as happy as anyone when we picked him. Getting a guy that can play in your second pairing at #17 is a pretty good deal.

Just because I don't rate him as a 1st pairing guy doesn't mean I'm biased against him. Talk to me about what my bias is grounded in. I'm all ears.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
they said this on the radio.
Freddy is having a year and we should take advantage of it.
(I do agree).

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
:laugh:

We're also better than we were last year. Why do you give other teams credit and not this one. You're another "fan" who can't accept that this is a really good team. Always a caveat when we beat somebody. Excuses as to why we are where we are in the standings. It never ends.

All of this "But we're not ready!!" You sound like an over-bearing mother who never lets their kid go swimming without a life jacket. Like Bobby Boucher's mother. If we can get a piece that will be here long term, and get them at a reasonable cost, now is as good a time as any. If it costs Lily/1st/etc or something, than so be it. Nobody wants the cupboard stripped bare, but a deal that involves Lily/1st isn't stripping it bare at all.

Relax, and accept that the team is far better than you give them credit for.

Yes - I think the Leafs are better this year than they were last year.

I also think the Leafs next year will be better than the Leafs this year.

That's how natural progression and evolution of a young core works.

I fail to see why you have to accelerate that process unncecessarily, while giving up picks /depth pieces you don't need to give up.

Reactions: MattySnipes

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Just plain wrong zeke

Can't remember what Pitts gave up for those guys, but I don't think it was much

The Pens traded 24yr old 5th overall pick top-10 scoring dman Ryan Whitney for Kunitz.

Are you really going to compare Jack Johnson and a 1st to 2 first 2 top 30 prospects and Carrick? Haha pass me what you're taking Zeke I've had a bad day and could use some happy time.

wat.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Would you guys do:

Andreas Johnsson
Timothy Liljegren
Connor Carrick
2018 1st round pick
2019 1st round pick

for

Erik Karlsson (UFA July 2019, though he would possibly re-sign)

? Ottawa should just be looking towards rebuilding now, and we’d have to pay a lot to get Karlsson. He’s that elite RD we desperately need.

Oh no.

This thread though is getting carried away.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Yes - I think the Leafs are better this year than they were last year.

I also think the Leafs next year will be better than the Leafs this year.

That's how natural progression and evolution of a young core works.

I fail to see why you have to accelerate that process unncecessarily, while giving up picks /depth pieces you don't need to give up.

BECAUSE WE'RE NOT GETTING A TOP PAIRING DEFENDER WITHOUT MOVING PIECES :laugh:

Jesus christ.

We won't be drafting in the top 5 for what could be 15 years! We're overwhelmingly unlikely to draft one where our draft slot will be. If we can add a defender to run point on this defense, then why not add them in the offseason? Then, next year, when natural progression has this team even better, we have the piece bedded in, in-house, ready to help take us where we need to go.

Or do you want to wait, and cry again next year. We'll almost be "there" then, won't we? Just another year or two, then we can make a move.....

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
One of the best players in the entire world. He would replace Matthews as our best player but not good enough for the Leafs. Alrighty.

Sell off JVR Bozak Martin Komarov for any pick you can get then add to whatever that is and just deliver it to them already. Just try and avoid giving our prospects, all picks if possible.

I never said he wasnt good enough for the leafs lol. My personal opinion is that i just dont want him. I would go for Doughty before i go for Karlsson

Reactions: ACC1224

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
If the intent is to buy the final core piece, then for me this thread begins and ends with Erik Karlsson or Drew Doughty. With the thought that you could re-sign either long term.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If the intent is to buy the final core piece, then for me this thread begins and ends with Erik Karlsson or Drew Doughty. With the thought that you could re-sign either long term.

I would also enquire into Pietrangelo, if the Blues begin their inevitable decline next year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
They really aren't. Compare Fred's high quality SV% to the others.

32 goalies with 1500+ minutes played.

HDsv% (from corsica.hockey)

1.Crawford 85.4%
2.Rinne 84.5%
3.Bishop 84.0%
4.Bobrovsky 83.7%
5.Lundqvist 82.7%
6.Gibson 82.7%
7.Rask 82.2%
8.Vasilevsky 82.0%
9.Quick 82.0%
10.Jones 81.9%
11.Schneider 81.3%
12.Reimer 81.0%
13.Smith 80.6%
14.Raanta 80.5%
15.Andersen 80.4%
16.Allen 80.2%

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yes you can do this Zeke. You have to accept trading out some UFA first and then using the returns from that in addition to our own picks to finish it off. We need to get guys with term back for UFA and we can compete for a cup 2-3 yrs and then again most likely when prospects come up.
you have described exactly what should happen, sadly it seems the Leafs will use impending UFA's as "own rentals" and let them walk for nothing. I hate hurting long term organizational depth for short term success.

Reactions: thewave

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
The more this team keeps winning the less likely the Leafs change much mid season. Outside of minor upgrades to #6 RHD (Carrick) and a #4C (Moore), there's not a hell of a lot needed. Even with those two you can argue that they are more or less adequate.

The Leafs are already one of the best 5v5 teams, have a good PP and PK, are good at Faceoffs, and have a top flight goaltender. Also, they are one of the top offensive teams in the NHL. It would seem unlikely any changes would drastically improve this team without a substantial cost to future assets which we already know the Leafs will not spend.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
IMO, this Team won't go far until they have a defenseman better than Rielly.
IF, that player can be brought in and retained long term I don't see how you can't make such a move.
If not, they will still need that player next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00