Movies: Don't Look Up (Netflix)

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
What better way to try and slow down other countries industrial revolutions by telling them they are not allowed to access the same cheap resources that got the colonizers into to absolute power. If I were them I would say screw you too.
That's the big problem. We are telling them, with a golden spoon in our mouth, that this is bad. But god help us if they ever reach the same level of pollution per capita as we do. They can't say screw you, though. Large parts of the most populated areas in China and India will vanish under the sea if they do.

Reactions: glovesave_35

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
What better way to try and slow down other countries industrial revolutions by telling them they are not allowed to access the same cheap resources that got the colonizers into to absolute power. If I were them I would say screw you too.

My ancestors didn't "colonize" China or India. So please speak for yourself.

Did it ever occur to you that the fact that they combine for 40% of the world's population, is exactly why they have some of the problems they have?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Did it ever occur to you that the fact that they combine for 40% of the world's population, is exactly why they have some of the problems they have?
They didn't? So sorry, I didn't realize. Next time I won't include your ancestors.

Reactions: Eisen

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I know the scope of the problem is immense, but the defeatist attitude some have is really disappointing.

First people denied it was happening at all. Then they accepted it, but claimed we had plenty of time to address it later and that the private sector would magically come up with a solution before it was too late. And now finally, the argument is that it's too late and our neighbours aren't doing enough, so why should we?

Losing Earth was one of the more depressing books I've read, it details how close we actually were in the 80's to taking action. But of course, politics won out.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Not really going to step into the topic, but just thought it's worth mentioning that in terms of population density neither India or China are anything exceptional, rather they're right in line with Western European nations. The exceptional thing about them is they're a singular nation with a landmass about the size of Europe. China is basically the size of the US but with the population density somewhere between Italy and France.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Not really going to step into the topic, but just thought it's worth mentioning that in terms of population density neither India or China are anything exceptional, rather they're right in line with Western European nations. The exceptional thing about them is they're a singular nation with a landmass about the size of Europe. China is basically the size of the US but with the population density somewhere between Italy and France.

Yeah, leave China and India alone. If we're going to dump on someone, it should be Canada. Those hosers lead the world in CO2 emissions per capita. How very impolite. For shame, Canada. :nono:

Last edited:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017

Cute way of framing it.

Let's be honest: overpopulated places have problems that places that aren't as crowded, don't have. Which begs the question: every person America adds to its population from places like India or Africa add like 20 times to the carbon footprint by going to America. Curious why that's not a problem with some people?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Cute way of framing it.

Let's be honest: overpopulated places have problems that places that aren't as crowded, don't have. Which begs the question: every person America adds to its population from places like India or Africa add like 20 times to the carbon footprint by going to America. Curious why that's not a problem with some people?

It's more than a little strange to blame immigrants for America being one of the world's worst emitters. Are we also going to tell Americans to ship all their children off to Greenland?

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
It's more than a little strange to blame immigrants for America being one of the world's worst emitters. Are we also going to tell Americans to ship all their children off to Greenland?

Do you care about the environment or don't you?

And I don't "blame immigrants". I blame the so-called leaders in charge and the apologists who think that adding 100 million to America's population in the last 30 years alone is no big deal (and plays no role in our carbon footprint).

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
And I don't "blame immigrants". I blame the so-called leaders in charge and the apologists who think that adding 100 million to America's population in the last 30 years alone is no big deal

(and plays no role in our carbon footprint).

Not sure why the carbon footprint part is in parenthesis, I guess to show you have some other issue with immigration?

Where people are situated in the world isn't the problem. Stopping immigration isn't going to solve anything, in fact you're going to see more immigration as climate change makes certain parts of the world less habitable.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Do you care about the environment or don't you?

And I don't "blame immigrants". I blame the so-called leaders in charge and the apologists who think that adding 100 million to America's population in the last 30 years alone is no big deal (and plays no role in our carbon footprint).
Simply change consumption and production behaviour and the increase won't matter. We will have to, anyway, sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Loved the movie it wasn't subtle about its message but I certainly don't think it was trying to be. Had some great jokes and good acting performances, thought it held up a pretty good mirror to today's world.

Reactions: Eisen

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017

The irony in your post is what China is doing in Africa at this very moment.

"The reason Chinese corporations are in Africa is simple; to exploit the people and take their resources....

“European colonial exploitation in comparison to Chinese exploitation appears benign, because even though the commercial exploitation was just as bad, the colonial agents also invested in social and economic infrastructure services Chinese investment, on the other hand, is focused on taking out of Africa as much as can be taken out, without any regard to the welfare of the local people.” (quoted in Scott D. Taylor's "The Nature of Chinese Capital in Africa, Current History, May 2018, p. 197)""

Strange you would be a shill for their nation - moreover, when there are verifiable concentration camps active today within their borders. Maybe you should educate yourself on their regime and their tactics, globally?

Anyway...I am done with this thread. So much nonsense. I can only handle so much doublespeak.

"Less is more"
"Hate is love"
"You'll own nothing and like it"

LOL.

Getting back to the movie, I like Leo - he's one of my favorite actors and has done legendary work. This doesn't appear to be one of his better contributions.

Reactions: Voight

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I have no problem with Jonah Hill but his character was awful. He was like a SNL parody of Veep

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
7.5/10 for me. Fell flat around the 2/3 mark but was great up until then as a very topical satire. Great ending too!

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The irony in your post is what China is doing in Africa at this very moment.

"The reason Chinese corporations are in Africa is simple; to exploit the people and take their resources....

“European colonial exploitation in comparison to Chinese exploitation appears benign, because even though the commercial exploitation was just as bad, the colonial agents also invested in social and economic infrastructure services Chinese investment, on the other hand, is focused on taking out of Africa as much as can be taken out, without any regard to the welfare of the local people.” (quoted in Scott D. Taylor's "The Nature of Chinese Capital in Africa, Current History, May 2018, p. 197)""

Strange you would be a shill for their nation - moreover, when there are verifiable concentration camps active today within their borders. Maybe you should educate yourself on their regime and their tactics, globally?

Anyway...I am done with this thread. So much nonsense. I can only handle so much doublespeak.

"Less is more"
"Hate is love"
"You'll own nothing and like it"

LOL.

Getting back to the movie, I like Leo - he's one of my favorite actors and has done legendary work. This doesn't appear to be one of his better contributions.

Their entire Belt & Road Initiative is just them exploiting third world countries for their resources. They or their state run companies give loans to these places that they cant pay back and in return take whatever they want.

I think he was supposed to be a parody of Trump's two sons.

Would be weird since neither worked at the White House.

Reactions: Northerner
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I think at about the 45 minute mark I just fast forwarded and caught glimpses of the rest. I watched the ending.

The movie was too heavy-handed to be worth it for me. It just felt too forced and obvious to be satire. I know the point they are making and I agree with it. It just didn't end up in a good film for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad