Movies: Don't Look Up (Netflix)

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
This looks really good, and has an amazing cast, but I do find the circumstances of its filming pretty funny.

It's a film about scientific experts struggling to get people to take their warnings seriously for a global existential threat. The studio announced on February 19, 2020 that the film was scheduled to go into production shortly, a few weeks before everything shut down for covid.

It look's entertaining, and, likely an awards contender. I admit that I do find it weird (in the best possible way) that the guy who directed Anchorman and Step Brothers is now associated with his films being a shoe in for Oscar nominations.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Anyone else watch this one?

I thought it was a hilarious and depressingly accurate portrait of how we're largely ignoring climate change. But it also felt overly long and unfocused at times with a few too many subplots. Towards the middle it felt like the film was falling apart but it pulls itself together at the end.

7/10

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I read a post on this board that there's apparently a scene where Ariana Grande sings that we should listen to the scientists. I gagged even if I agree with the statement. I don't care that I'll agree with most/all of its political leanings. Add in Jennifer Lawrence doing comedy and that movie sounds like a crock of shit. In all fairness, I think all of Adam Mckay's recent stuff is trash, so I'm not inclined to be indulgent with it in the first place.

Reactions: Primary Assist

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

I thought it was a hilarious and depressingly accurate portrait of how we're largely ignoring climate change. But it also felt overly long and unfocused at times with a few too many subplots. Towards the middle it felt like the film was falling apart but it pulls itself together at the end.

7/10
I pretty much agree with thus except you are in the half-full camp while I am in the half-empty.

Reactions: Beau Knows

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

I thought it was a hilarious and depressingly accurate portrait of how we're largely ignoring climate change. But it also felt overly long and unfocused at times with a few too subplots. Towards the middle it felt like the film was falling apart but it pulls itself together at the end.

7/10

I had similar reactions. Promising start, but got very muddled in the middle.

There's some fun ideas in here, but also a lot of stuff that falls flat. It was probably extremely difficult to nail down the tone on this one as covid was happening, but I think it could have been executed a lot better.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Re-posted:

Don’t Look Up (2021). A biting political satire about the end of the world with, possibly, the most star-studded cast ever assembled. A giant comet is about to hit earth, but the governments, the media, and the people are too busy chasing votes, views, and likes. There is exactly zero nuance, subtlety, and the like: the movie is scorched earth about scorched earth. Meryl Streep (as Trump-like president), Jennifer Lawrence (as a pot-smoking grad student with temper issues), Leonardo DiCaprio (as an astronomer with sex issues and limited social skills), Cate Blanchett (as a Megyn Kelly-like talk show bimbo), Jonah Hill (as Trump Jr.-like Chief of Staff), Ariana Grande (as, essentially, herself), Ron Perlman (as a redneck space pilot, a clear spoof of the entire Armageddon cast), Mark Rylance (as a blend of Elon Mask, Mark Zuckerberg, and himself from the recent Ready Player One film), and Timothee Chalamet (as a punk renegade / secret Evangelical): has a a credits run ever been more impressive? Not since Expendables, that’s for sure. Some jokes are brilliant (“Poor people should pick better lottery numbers”), some are too hamfisted. One of our society’s biggest problems – distrust of experts – is uncovered with scalpel-like precision and mercilessness. At some point, Grande’s ridiculously outfitted character croons “Listen to the goddamn qualified scientists!” Excellent pace, editing, and special effects kindly recall the era of Independence Day, Armageddon, and Deep Impact, when there was not just hope but confidence in humanity uniting in face of clear and present danger. Sadly, those days are gone. 7/10

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I read a post on this board that there's apparently a scene where Ariana Grande sings that we should listen to the scientists. I gagged even if I agree with the statement. I don't care that I'll agree with most/all of its political leanings. Add in Jennifer Lawrence doing comedy and that movie sounds like a crock of shit. In all fairness, I think all of Adam Mckay's recent stuff is trash,
Why? Your post doesn't make sense.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Why do you have a problem with Grande singing that we must listen to scientists and Lawrence doing comedy?

It's like an even worse version of that celebrity cameo crap he kept pulling off in The Big Short. I find the delivery so utterly self-satisfied, gauche and tacky. I watched the Grande scene. In the first movie, you juat want to scream at McKay to just have the balls to use technical language and let the audience sink or swim (like Shane Carruth does in Primer). In the second, the whole thing is way too overt for being satire - and the fun of satire should be that its got wit - and I don't see how having a pop star sing the obvious (even if a lot of people don't follow the obvious) is satisfying. That's before getting into the whole thing of I never understood what his multimillion dollar choir-preaching should get brownie points for playing to an audience who will probably agree with him in the first place. He's not trying to convince anyone - if they can even be convinced - either get serious or stop trying to do what seems to be the equivalent of a feature-length Twitter insult (which would be right up McKay's alley).

As for Lawrence, it's simple. I don't find her funny at all. She reeks of that I'm so quirky! thing that a lot of really well-adjusted folks try to do. I think it falls flat. Especially when you're a super succesful sex symbol.

Last edited:

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I don't see how having a pop star sing the obvious (even if a lot of people don't follow the obvious) is satisfying.
There is no accounting for humor, I guess. My wife and I rolled around our couch laughing when Grande crooned those words. It was hilarious on every level: from her even being able to pronounce them to the notion of her preaching science (while looking like a bona fide bimbo) to her pre-teen audience. It's like like Adam Sandler saying in The Wedding Singer: "If Billy Idol gets it, why can't she?"

As for Lawrence, it's simple. I don't find her funny at all. She reeks of that I'm so quirky! thing that a lot of really well-adjusted folks try to do. I think it falls flat. Especially when you're a super succesful sex symbol.
Her role was not the Streep, Blanchett, Perlman, or Hill "haha" comedy routine. She was supposed to be a serious counterpoint. And, being a fantastic actress, she did just fine. I could do without the noserings though. Yuck.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
There is no accounting for humor, I guess. My wife and I rolled around our couch laughing when Grande crooned those words. It was hilarious on every level: from her even being able to pronounce them to the notion of her preaching science (while looking like a bona fide bimbo) to her pre-teen audience. It's like like Adam Sandler saying in The Wedding Singer: "If Billy Idol gets it, why can't she?"

Her role was not the Streep, Blanchett, Perlman, or Hill "haha" comedy routine. She was supposed to be a serious counterpoint. And, being a fantastic actress, she did just fine. I could do without the noserings though. Yuck.

It's good if they're not relying on Lawrence for comedy. But that immediately gets negated by relying on Meryl Streep, who very much has some of those same qualities as Lawrence's comedic style.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Thought it was pretty funny. Definitely on the nose for a lot of things in the socio-political climate. Cast was excellent, really drove what was a fairly basic plot. Streep & Jonah Hill in particular had me in stitches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad