Confirmed with Link: Donovan Sebrango signs 3 Year ELC

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
As an aside, these kids don't get contracts as "rewards." They get contracts because they have demonstrated to the parent club that they are worth investing in. They have shown that they are worth further development. Any reward component is secondary to that.
I think you're getting hung up on semantics, Henkka said "just reward" which by Webster is defined as "a deserved outcome or result".

Reactions: kliq and golffuul

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I think you're getting hung up on semantics, Henkka said "just reward" which by Webster is defined as "a deserved outcome or result".

"Reward" was used before Henkka replied (and given his grasp of the English language, it's doubtful he actually meant "just reward" as you've defined it).

The definition of reward is "something that is given in return for good or evil done or received or that is offered or given for some service or attainment."

Contracts are not rewards.

I was arguing for language accuracy before, not semantics. But now that we are discussing actual definitions, it has become a semantics argument :help: :laugh:

This is the stupidest argument of the week, but I've closed the case, and now we can move on, you're welcome :neener:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
"Reward" was used before Henkka replied (and given his grasp of the English language, it's doubtful he actually meant "just reward" as you've defined it).
Actually I thought it was funny BECAUSE he used the term correctly, lol, which is the only reason why I gave you a little crap.

Reactions: jaster

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Great sign for a third rounder. He has looked pretty good under the circumstances in the couple of games I have watched. I would love to see him complete the season in GR, but I am not sure that is in the cards.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Great sign for a third rounder. He has looked pretty good under the circumstances in the couple of games I have watched. I would love to see him complete the season in GR, but I am not sure that is in the cards.

When is the OHL scheduled to start? And are they still toying with the 'no contact' rules?

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Yeah, I don't really know much about this kid aside from the fact that he's ginger. Quite frankly, most of the people here aren't patient enough with any prospect, they get labeled as elite or busts way too early.

Physical defensive defenseman doesn't really seem like a Stevie pick, but it's good to have at least a couple of those in the pipeline, especially if he can skate.

I happen to like physical defensemen, so I may have to overlook his gingerness.

Don't be a hairist, it's not a good look in today's society.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I only watched 2 games with Donovan before we drafted him. My impression was Sebrango is defensive version of Bertuzzi, high energy, good speed and hard work. Sebrango was rated around 100 in the most mock drafts.
Just wondering why. Is it because he didn't have high end potential, like Wallinder for example, but Wallinder have much less chance to become NHL player than Sebrango in my opinion or maybe it's just me who still don't understand a lot about hockey scouting way of thinking.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I only watched 2 games with Donovan before we drafted him. My impression was Sebrango is defensive version of Bertuzzi, high energy, good speed and hard work. Sebrango was rated around 100 in the most mock drafts.
Just wondering why. Is it because he didn't have high end potential, like Wallinder for example, but Wallinder have much less chance to become NHL player than Sebrango in my opinion or maybe it's just me who still don't understand a lot about hockey scouting way of thinking.

Wallinder has enormous potential, possibly a 1st pair defender. His chances to hit it are quite low. Basically I see it like this:

Wallinder: Sky high potential, but has a low floor right now. Questionable if he becomes something better than 3rd pair defender in the NHL
Sebrango: Lower potential, but has a higher floor now. Ceiling is in my opinion a good 3rd line defender.

This is why Detroit "bet" on Wallinder, and took Sebrango later on as a more "safer" pick.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Sebrango looks like the typical Kris Draper pick we get every year where he says, "I don't care where he's rated, that guy is going to be a player."

Givani Smith and Tyler Bertuzzi are two of these guys. There are a couple of others that I'm forgetting right now. But Draper is pretty good at finding the kind of sandpaper players that can fill out the bottom of a roster.

Reactions: lilidk

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

He was ranked 59th by central scouting, 67th by future considerations and 77 by Mckeens before the draft and actually taken 64th. I dont really remember seeing him ranked at 100 at all pre draft. He was taken right where he was projected and seems to be outplaying that spot so far in limited time

Reactions: 14ari13

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Ranked #57 by Mckenzie, and #59 by Central Scouting last year.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He is going back to OHL, or not?

Was there some loophole discussion about staying at Grand Rapids?

Last I read was that there was discussion about giving a pass to those who played in the AHL due to the various CHL shutdowns. Sebrango is a guy who I could see benefit from either destination as long as he is given a good development plan.

Stay in AHL, continue to play higher level competition and improve.
Return to Kitchener, play with a large emphasis on refining offensive skill set.

Either way, I think he has things that he can improve on.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Why would you want him in a lower level? That doesn't seem like it would be very beneficial. Keep him in the AHL and watch his development.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Why would you want him in a lower level? That doesn't seem like it would be very beneficial. Keep him in the AHL and watch his development.

Okay, first and foremost, nobody has said they WANT him to be back in juniors. We might not have a choice.

And my point is that his offensive game is well behind the curve of the offensive game that will have an impact in the NHL. Letting someone get a lot of reps and try to catch up offensively while playing in juniors wouldn't be terrible.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Okay, first and foremost, nobody has said they WANT him to be back in juniors. We might not have a choice.

And my point is that his offensive game is well behind the curve of the offensive game that will have an impact in the NHL. Letting someone get a lot of reps and try to catch up offensively while playing in juniors wouldn't be terrible.

Can't he just go down to the ECHL if necessary? No idea why we'd want him beating up on 16 and 17 year olds. How is that going to improve his game?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Can't he just go down to the ECHL if necessary? No idea why we'd want him beating up on 16 and 17 year olds. How is that going to improve his game?

Why would they want him playing with a bunch of players not good enough to play in the AHL? Have to think quality of competition is better in the OHL than the ECHL...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wouldn't take long for Yzerman to sent him to Europe, if AHL is not possible.

Why not send him to Rögle to replace a spot from Seider or something like that?

In Finland, Ässät also has some spots for skill defenceman open. Like we have some connections there for sure, thanks to the drafting history of Tuomisto, Kotkansalo, and Kivenmäki. All have left the team for next season, but there's some organizational connections.

Reactions: wingerdinger

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Too much Ras/Zadina/Veleno complaining, so I'm going to take this opportunity to break up the 17 threads about them with the bright spot that is Donovan Sebrango.

This kid just keeps impressing. Not providing a ton of offense in GR, with only 3 points in 14 games, but that's actually 2nd on the team amongst defensemen (behind Ryan Murphy with 8 points). He leads the team with a +8 rating (next best is +5) from the 2nd pair and gets high marks for his defense and overall competent play.

Depending on what happens at the trade deadline, I will not be surprised if this kid gets a cup of coffee at the end of the season. I get the impression Stevie is really high on him. I suspect he'll be fighting for a roster spot in camp. I like the sound of a Sebrango-Lindstrom 3rd pair in the future, but I also wouldn't be shocked if this kid reaches the level of a 2nd-pair guy one day.

Big fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad