Confirmed with Link: Donovan Sebrango signs 3 Year ELC

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
A second-round pick, 40th overall, by the Kitchener Rangers in the 2018 OHL Priority Selection Draft defenceman Donovan Sebrango has had two strong seasons in the league. Sebrango slipped a bit as teams were concerned that he was committed to attending Boston University. The Rangers convinced him to go the OHL route and Sebrango put up seven goals and 19 assists for 26 points in 62 games as a 16-year-old rookie. He improved this season, putting up six goals and 24 assists for 30 points in 54 games before the season was cancelled. Sebrango also played for Team Red at the 2020 CHL Top Prospects Game in Hamilton. He got into a fight with Windsor Spitfires forward Will Cuylle.

Sebrango has also represented Canada on the international stage. In five games at last summer’s Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, he picked up two assists. Sebrango helped the team to a silver medal. The Kingston, Ontario native also played for Team Canada Black at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, scoring two assists in five games. Prior to coming to the OHL, Sebrango attended the Canadian International Hockey Academy, a prep school located just east of Ottawa.

Donovan Sebrango Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #80

Reactions: hkydave04

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Another high upside type. Good size and offensive instincts, questionable skating and has struggled to put it all together at times. We really need LD so its another lottery ticket in that regard.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Seems to be great pick. There's nothing wrong on this guy, has all the tools, not just matured.

Projection and Comparison

Sebrango has the potential to be a top-four defender in the NHL and play significant minutes if he develops properly. He is a bit raw though and needs time to continue to bulk up, while still maintaining his mobility. Sebrango should be able to contribute at even-strength and on the penalty kill. While he is unlikely to be a first-unit power-play contributor, he might be able to help run the second unit. Sebrango shoots left but often plays on the right defence, showing his versatility. His game is reminiscent of Roman Hamrlik. This is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill and potential.

Donovan Sebrango Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #80

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Another high upside type. Good size and offensive instincts, questionable skating and has struggled to put it all together at times. We really need LD so its another lottery ticket in that regard.
What do you mean questionable skating. ?

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
November 2019 –

Donovan Sebrango is a left-handed defenseman, who has been playing on the right side for the Kitchener Rangers. To date (November 20, 2019), Sebrango has registered one goal and eight assists in 15 games played. Sebrango’s passing is top-notch. He will deliver crisp stretch passes and seam passes. Sebrango will often drive the puck up into the offensive zone. Almost every other shift, you will see Sebrango create a pinch. At times, shot selection can be a challenge for Sebrango and he will shoot the puck into traffic on occasion. In terms of his skating, he always keeps his feet moving, displays solid crossovers and his hockey stop is NHL caliber. Sebrango will likely need a few more seasons in the OHL, before he makes the jump to the AHL/NHL. He will be a second pairing or third pairing defenseman in the NHL someday and will be an asset on an NHL team’s second power-play unit.

Josh Tessler

Donovan Sebrango

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Sebrango, Viro, Hanas and Niederbach all seem like the kind of picks that will take 4 years to reach the big leagues.

Reactions: lilidk

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Leafs fan here.
Sebrango is my favorite non Leafs pick of the draft.
I had to watch a bunch of Kitchener games recently and hes extremely underrated.
I think he gets pinned with the "defensive" player tag somewhat and his offensive skillset is underrated.
He's actually a good skater with strong edges but needs to get stronger and improve his explosiveness.

He can skate, pass, plays with tons of intensity. Just a solid all around D who is well suited to defend in todays style game.

Has some Brodin in his game.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He kinda plays like O'Rourke who I wanted actually. Glad we added this type of defender to the pool. Him and Seider could make a living clobbering top lines in the future

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Leafs fan here.
Sebrango is my favorite non Leafs pick of the draft.
I had to watch a bunch of Kitchener games recently and hes extremely underrated.
I think he gets pinned with the "defensive" player tag somewhat and his offensive skillset is underrated.
He's actually a good skater with strong edges but needs to get stronger and improve his explosiveness.

He can skate, pass, plays with tons of intensity. Just a solid all around D who is well suited to defend in todays style game.

Has some Brodin in his game.

"Brodin" would be awesome. Great defensive defenceman, but not a total wood-hand.

Reactions: weems

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
This is great. Big fan so far. And Detroit signing him this early makes me feel at least slightly vindicated for championing him. Hopefully he continues his good trajectory. I can see this kid being a staple who can kinda fill a few different roles if it all works out. Maybe only a #4/5 in the end, but one of those guys who, on a winning roster, you're like, "damn, we have this real solid top-4 plus Sebrango? Luxury!" That's what I'm hoping for anyway haha.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Just looked.... Sebrango is the youngest player on the GR roster by over three years. And, by all reports, he is holding his own. Impressive.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This is great. Big fan so far. And Detroit signing him this early makes me feel at least slightly vindicated for championing him. Hopefully he continues his good trajectory. I can see this kid being a staple who can kinda fill a few different roles if it all works out. Maybe only a #4/5 in the end, but one of those guys who, on a winning roster, you're like, "damn, we have this real solid top-4 plus Sebrango? Luxury!" That's what I'm hoping for anyway haha.

Tough and can skate, I'm cheering for him too.

The athletic had an article saying hes one of the bigger risers in the wings prospect pools and after almost making team Canada hes actually contributing to the Griffins at his young age as well. The one game I watched with him playing he looked really solid. Didnt stand out except that he skated really well and he battled really hard but at his age thats good. A great sign is the minutes the coach is trusting him with though

Really good for a guy who shouldnt have even been drafted at all according to some on this board

Reactions: Winger98 and jaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad