Confirmed with Link: Donovan Sebrango signs 3 Year ELC

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Too much Ras/Zadina/Veleno complaining, so I'm going to take this opportunity to break up the 17 threads about them with the bright spot that is Donovan Sebrango.

This kid just keeps impressing. Not providing a ton of offense in GR, with only 3 points in 14 games, but that's actually 2nd on the team amongst defensemen (behind Ryan Murphy with 8 points). He leads the team with a +8 rating (next best is +5) from the 2nd pair and gets high marks for his defense and overall competent play.

Depending on what happens at the trade deadline, I will not be surprised if this kid gets a cup of coffee at the end of the season. I get the impression Stevie is really high on him. I suspect he'll be fighting for a roster spot in camp. I like the sound of a Sebrango-Lindstrom 3rd pair in the future, but I also wouldn't be shocked if this kid reaches the level of a 2nd-pair guy one day.

Big fan.

I would like to see Sebrango or your absolute favorite McIssac get some games at LD before the end of the season. :)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Too much Ras/Zadina/Veleno complaining, so I'm going to take this opportunity to break up the 17 threads about them with the bright spot that is Donovan Sebrango.

This kid just keeps impressing. Not providing a ton of offense in GR, with only 3 points in 14 games, but that's actually 2nd on the team amongst defensemen (behind Ryan Murphy with 8 points). He leads the team with a +8 rating (next best is +5) from the 2nd pair and gets high marks for his defense and overall competent play.

Depending on what happens at the trade deadline, I will not be surprised if this kid gets a cup of coffee at the end of the season. I get the impression Stevie is really high on him. I suspect he'll be fighting for a roster spot in camp. I like the sound of a Sebrango-Lindstrom 3rd pair in the future, but I also wouldn't be shocked if this kid reaches the level of a 2nd-pair guy one day.

Big fan.

Earlier this AM, Oct.Thrower iirc mentioned Sebrango & Pearson among others. I was surprised to see him outperform McIsaac's -7. (QoC% aside). Hoping it's just McIsaac's injuries that he's still rebounding from...TBD.

Would like to see Pearson 10pts/13gp & Berggren called up. Rowney & Smith can go to GR.

Capture.PNG

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I would like to see Sebrango or your absolute favorite McIssac get some games at LD before the end of the season. :)

lol. My "love" for McIsaac has been that memorable, eh?

It's true I'm bullish on Sebrango and bearish on McIsaac, but I agree I'd be happy to see both get a look if they're healthy and playing well in GR later this season.

Reactions: 14ari13

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I was surprised to see him outperform McIsaac's -7.

@Frk It is going to be shocked to hear this, but that's not the least bit surprising to me :laugh:

Hoping it's just McIsaac's injuries that he's still rebounding from...TBD.

Setting the comparison of these two guys aside, McIsaac's +/- does exist in a very small sample set, so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from it. Hopefully there is some positive regression, though I'm still not sold on McIsaac's ability to play defense as a pro. Hopefully he's catching up on his development in GR.

Reactions: Frk It

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
@Frk It is going to be shocked to hear this, but that's not the least bit surprising to me :laugh:

Setting the comparison of these two guys aside, McIsaac's +/- does exist in a very small sample set, so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from it. Hopefully there is some positive regression, though I'm still not sold on McIsaac's ability to play defense as a pro. Hopefully he's catching up on his development in GR.
Are your impressions of Mc based on viewing GR this yr., or stats/reading (like me) ?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Couldn't it be that McIsaac is playing harder defensive minutes? I'm sure his +/- would look fine if the offense was coming, which it clearly is not right now.

Also, how is 3 points in 14 games 2nd in defensive scoring? Doesn't sound like Simon is doing a great job developing defensemen down there.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Couldn't it be that McIsaac is playing harder defensive minutes? I'm sure his +/- would look fine if the offense was coming, which it clearly is not right now.

Also, how is 3 points in 14 games 2nd in defensive scoring? Doesn't sound like Simon is doing a great job developing defensemen down there.

I added " (QoC% aside). " after...

2yr age diff b/w them. Sebrango stole an AHL spot last yr, good for him. McIsaac, ~on track, hoping for continued growth.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Are your impressions of Mc based on viewing GR this yr., or stats/reading (like me) ?

My opinion of McIsaac is mostly based on viewing him in seasons prior to this one, after he was drafted. I haven't see him this season. Stats, injuries, and lost development time are of course pertinent additional context.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

I can't speak to defensive matchups beyond pointing out that Sebrango has mostly played 2nd pair, and McIsaac 3rd pair, at least according to the lineups I've seen.

Both guys have 3 points, but Sebrango's +/- is 15 points higher, which is notable, even for a stat that typically requires either a large sample size or significant context to be meaningful. Sebrango is 1st on the team in +/-, and McIsaac is last.

Reactions: 14ari13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I can't speak to defensive matchups beyond pointing out that Sebrango has mostly played 2nd pair, and McIsaac 3rd pair, at least according to the lineups I've seen.

Both guys have 3 points, but Sebrango's +/- is 15 points higher, which is notable, even for a stat that typically requires either a large sample size or significant context to be meaningful. Sebrango is 1st on the team in +/-, and McIsaac is last.

15 +/- higher is significant over 82gp. 15 over 14gp is Yuge!

Is it fair to extrapolate over 82gp, no, but the diff. is already scrutiny worthy.

#FollowMeForMoreHotTakes.Org

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Big fan.

Coach Simon isn't big on having his D skate the puck up ice or jump in the play much in the offensive zone so 3 points isn't bad, all things considered.

I only got a chance to catch 2 or 3 Griffs games this year but I liked what I saw from Sebrango. His skating is solid and he's good at making the safe, simple play to his partner to slow the forecheck.

I kind of hope this kid becomes a Deryk Engelland type of tough bottom pair defenseman. Good on the PK, blocks shots, throws hits, stands up for teammates and keeps the front of the net clear.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

Big fan.
Would love to see Sebrango get some time, which I'm sure will happen given that DDK can't go a season without being injured.

Also, to solve your "complaining threads" issue...just hit that "ignore thread" button that I have been exercising with great frequency this year. Makes life so much sweeter. Once the game has been over by an hour or so (or first thing in the morning) smash that button and enjoy the peace and quiet ;)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Earlier this AM, Oct.Thrower iirc mentioned Sebrango & Pearson among others. I was surprised to see him outperform McIsaac's -7. (QoC% aside). Hoping it's just McIsaac's injuries that he's still rebounding from...TBD.

Would like to see Pearson 10pts/13gp & Berggren called up. Rowney & Smith can go to GR.

View attachment 482906
If preseason is any indication, Pearson is soft for a big guy and doesn't drive the play. I think that's the reason why he's stuck in the AHL, the management doesn't think his game will translate well.

While I'm not a big fan, I'd still like to see what he's got later this season since the team will have to make a waivers decision on him next season. Rowney definitely should go to GR, and the team should start handing out cups of coffee or whatever they want to call it.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If preseason is any indication, Pearson is soft for a big guy and doesn't drive the play. I think that's the reason why he's stuck in the AHL, the management doesn't think his game will translate well.

While I'm not a big fan, I'd still like to see what he's got later this season since the team will have to make a waivers decision on him next season. Rowney definitely should go to GR, and the team should start handing out cups of coffee or whatever they want to call it.

Disappointed to hear Pearson is Decaf.

Cup 'o Joe. Java

Cup O'Caesar's

Triple-Dip Venti Latte

Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Disappointed to hear Pearson is Decaf.

Cup 'o Joe. Java

Cup O'Caesar's

Triple-Dip Venti Latte
LOL, good pun. No worse than Gagner though, he's like warm milk.

I dunno if this website is accurate, but it shows the Wings are second to last in hits per game. This is why I'd rather have Joey and Sebrango over Pearson and McIsaac. (Yes, I know McIsaac was physical in juniors but these injuries are gonna take their toll, if not physically then mentally).

What Team Has Most Hits Per Game | StatMuse

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
LOL, good pun. No worse than Gagner though, he's like warm milk.

I dunno if this website is accurate, but it shows the Wings are second to last in hits per game. This is why I'd rather have Joey and Sebrango over Pearson and McIsaac. (Yes, I know McIsaac was physical in juniors but these injuries are gonna take their toll, if not physically then mentally).

What Team Has Most Hits Per Game | StatMuse

Gagner is expired Powdered Milk. Only taking up shelf space in the fallout bunker. Use in extreme emergencies.

Hoping McIsaac can reclaim his pre-injuries prospects ranking to at least salvage a serviceable #4D @ NHL level.

Ras needs to throw his weight around & play intense like in The Wrath of Khan, not the Ras of Butter Pecan.

Durango can help pull the load on 3rd pair.

Still wanna see Pearson over Rowney for a few games. Nothing to lose.

#FollowMeForMoreDadJokes.org

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk and Gniwder

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Coach Simon isn't big on having his D skate the puck up ice or jump in the play much in the offensive zone so 3 points isn't bad, all things considered.

I only got a chance to catch 2 or 3 Griffs games this year but I liked what I saw from Sebrango. His skating is solid and he's good at making the safe, simple play to his partner to slow the forecheck.

I kind of hope this kid becomes a Deryk Engelland type of tough bottom pair defenseman. Good on the PK, blocks shots, throws hits, stands up for teammates and keeps the front of the net clear.
Most defenseman that leave the team to play on anither AHL team produce much better after leaving the Griffs. Hicketts has 5 goals and 7 assists in 12 games this year (he hasn't managed to score as many goals in 4 previous seasons with the Griffs). Oliver Kaski had 5 points in 19 games with the Griffs before being trading mid-season to Charlotte where he scored 20 in 35 games including 11 goals. Murphy won the Eddie Shore award as the AHL"s best defenseman last year with 27 points in 37 games playing for Henderson. He only has 8 in 14 games this year with the Griffs.
I remember watching some Griffs' games and Simon would go with 5 forwards on both PP units.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
3 points in 14 games and people are screaming that he needs to get called up? Based on what?
He’s also a +8. He’s not an offensive juggernaut, but he is going to be a capable bottom pairing defenseman who’s reliable and plays a physical game and does the dirty work. Plus there are calls for him to make the U20’s for Team Canada as well.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Donovan Sebrango has been invited to Canada's world junior selection camp.

Stiff competition and no guarantee of making the cut, but a pretty decent accomplishment just the same.

Ex-Rangers defenceman Donovan Sebrango gets second shot at world juniors

He was one of the last cuts last year and actually a surprise cut based on how well he played in camp, hes one of the front runners to make the team. I would say hes more likely to be on the top pair than to be cut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad