Donbass Donetsk 2013/2014 season talk

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I know, it kinda came out of nowhere considering the rather inauspicious start he had. He's on fire now.

He's streaky but is definitely capable of being an elite goalie. He road the flyers all the way to game 7 OT of the SC finals several years back.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
completely forgot about him, he was dynamite last year.

i'm still pulling for Tverdovsky to sign a 1-year deal to retire in Donetsk, he should still be capable enough to provide a nice bonus to the D (which isn't the deepest in the world)

I didn't realize he was free agent this year? Im sure he didn't fit the mould of a Keenan type player anyways lol. Magnitka has moved more towards physical type defenseman this year.. Surprised Babchuk didn't make the move to Donetsk after his short stay last season. Im guessing he took the more profitable road.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
yeah, rumors had him signing out in Amur but no other news reports since. His agent's shopping, he hasn't retired, weird.

for babchuk, i think it was between him wanting good money and him sucking last year in Donetsk anyway. He was a -10 with 3pts in 30. They got Piganovich instead and that's been a huge upgrade.

Last edited:

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
love the Donbass fans showing up in Podolsk
bolely_podolsk_1.jpg

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Proud of the performance vs Dynamo, coming from 1-0 down to deservedly win, great effort all around :D

Great win for sure, especially as it was in Moscow. They've now beaten SKA in St. Pete and Dynamo in Moscow, so that is excellent. But then they followed this up by losing 1-0 to Ak-Bars. This team has got to find a way to start scoring more goals. Should be a good one tomorrow against Admiral, who are having a very nice year for an expansion team.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
As several soccer teams had to play in Cyprus during Europa League already, will Donbass play KHL playoffs in Russia for security reasons? No political talk intended, just thinking about the dangers involved.

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
Dinamo Kiev played in Cyprus. I think in Donetsk the situation is much more stable than in Kiev in last weeks.

TheNomad

Jul 26, 2013
The Ukrainian Premier League has been shutdown indefinitely, and Russian flags are flying in places like Donetsk, Kharkiv, Dnipropetrovsk, and Odessa....so we'll see what happens with Donbass too.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The Ukrainian Premier League has been shutdown indefinitely, and Russian flags are flying in places like Donetsk, Kharkiv, Dnipropetrovsk, and Odessa....so we'll see what happens with Donbass too.

Yeah, some questions will be raised about the KHL in Donetsk. Since it's been "taken over" by pro-Russian forces and could become part of Russia or independent, some things I'd like to know about the team:

- is it funded by Ukrainian Ukrainians or by Russian Ukrainians?
- if the purpose was to help Ukrainian hockey, if Donetsk will no longer be part of Ukraine, what will that mean for the team's goal/purpose?
- will the owners even care about hockey anymore?

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Yeah, some questions will be raised about the KHL in Donetsk. Since it's been "taken over" by pro-Russian forces and could become part of Russia or independent, some things I'd like to know about the team:

- is it funded by Ukrainian Ukrainians or by Russian Ukrainians?
- if the purpose was to help Ukrainian hockey, if Donetsk will no longer be part of Ukraine, what will that mean for the team's goal/purpose?
- will the owners even care about hockey anymore?

Club management and owners have strong business and political ties to both Russia and the pro Russia side in Ukraine.

The team idenity is clearly focussing on the Donbas region, not the whole of Ukraine. The only problem that could occur would be if they stay in Ukraine and the owners get into legal trouble.

The Donbass guys couldn't care less if they help Ukrainian hockey or not.

PS: Club president Borys Kolesnikov was deputy prime minister under Azarov in the Yanukovich era.

alce*

The Donbass guys couldn't care less if they help Ukrainian hockey or not.

It isn't completely true. Kolesnikov had helped NT a lot and wanted to develop Ukrainian hockey. Head coach of NT is also Donbass's head coach. Actually beside Donbass there isn't much hockey on Ukraine at all.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I don't see their team playing hockey while the country is in war

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
well, after their successful coup i'd like to see oligharhs like kolesnikov under investigation. otherwise they look stupid and hypocritical to me. then if everything's all right, welcome back to the khl:laugh:

loppa*

Perhaps they could move to Sochi temporarily if they can't finish the season. But I think they will finish the season. Heck, I bet that they will have more attendance in their small arena in Donetsk than the new one in Sochi.

TheNomad

Jul 26, 2013
http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_...y-offs-in-Donetsk-Vice-President-of-KHL-6601/

Ukrainian Donbass will play its Kontinental Hockey League’s home play-off matches in Donetsk, KHL Vice President Vladimir Shalaev says. Earlier, mass media reported that Donbass would not be able to play home play-off matches because of the tense political situation in the country. In the first round of the playoffs, the Donetsk team will meet with Riga’s Dinamo. Donbass would play play-offs of the KHL in Donetsk, Shalaev said to journalists.

“We’ve already received information from the security service, which was there yesterday,†he added. “Their conclusion is not entirely comforting, there is some anxiety. However, the League will not change the structure and the schedule of the play-off games. Riga’s Dinamo and Donbass have already been informed about it.â€

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad