OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Halifax??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab
People have been eating Doner's (Donairs) in Turkey and the Middle East since the Natives were still the majority in Nova Scotia.

Well since you posted that link, I'm sure you read this:
A variation known as "donair" was introduced in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada in the early 1970s. Peter Gamoulakos immigrated to Canada in 1959.[43] When he failed in his attempt to sell traditional döner, Gamoulakos adapted the dish to local tastes. He substituted beef for lamb and created a sweet sauce. He claimed to invent the donair in 1972 and it debuted at King of Donair's Quinpool Road location in 1973, however this cannot be confirmed.

So my point is that Doner kabob ≠ Donair.
Our westernized and anglicized offspring is something unique to parts of this country and that's why we celebrate it with this prestigious thread.

According to wiki, Hillel the Elder wrapped flatbread around meat during passover in 110BC, do I need a time machine?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Tried MacT/Homestyle on Ellerslie last Friday

Exact same as Homestyle on 43rd [I think it was 43rd] BUT way way way more pricier it seems.

It's not "bad" per se but for the price, not worth it.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
What's the best donair in Nisku? My vote so far goes to Queen Donair, but I've only been to one other place besides that.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
My respect for you.......
:sarcasm:
Seriously come up north and donair with your bro

Seriously. We should go to Swiss.

Marco's in SUB has horrible customer service in my brief experience there. I'll sometimes go there for a post-gym calorie dump if I have some friends in SUB, but whoever is working there seems to be really rude.

Yeah agreed they were sorta rude but ah well. Tombstone wasn't bad but wasn't great either. Certainly not worth the $12.

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
Against my better judgement I went to Brentwood Donair and Pizza in Sherwood Park. What a total mistake. I ordered the chicken donair and told the guy I didn't want the banana peppers on it. I get home and it is stone cold. They didn't bother to cook the chicken. I chicken strips looked like they came out of a package as they were all the same exact size. Zeki sauce was salty. Epic fail. I will stick to Donair Stop by Capilano and save my stomach.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Against my better judgement I went to Brentwood Donair and Pizza in Sherwood Park. What a total mistake. I ordered the chicken donair and told the guy I didn't want the banana peppers on it. I get home and it is stone cold. They didn't bother to cook the chicken. I chicken strips looked like they came out of a package as they were all the same exact size. Zeki sauce was salty. Epic fail. I will stick to Donair Stop by Capilano and save my stomach.

Where in Capilano?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
swiss destroys queen on 50th st, and pretty much every place in the city

Yup.. Swiss in a landslide.

The only place I've found that competes with Swiss is Sub Joint in Fort Saskatchewan. That dill sauce is pretty awesome.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Where in Capilano?

Donair Stop used to be on 101st and 50th, but they moved to 98th just off of 75th street.
The place that replaced Donair Stop on 50th street is called Top Donair and is much much better.

I grew up on Donair Stop, it's where I had my first donair, the old man and me used to go there a few times a year before Oilers games. But after they moved their quality and customer service has gone down big time. Wouldn't recommend it.

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
Donair Stop is one of the few places that purchases the high grade donair meat, rather then the cheaper bread filled one that almost every donair place uses because it is better bang for their pockets.

I have tried about half a dozen places around the city and have been let down period. Nitza's Pizza in Sherwood Park are selling 2 donairs for about 8 bucks. You can't be buying the better meat if your selling it that cheap period.

There is another donair place right by Kings University College on 50 st. I do not know how good the donairs are at this place.

The donair guy that is now on basically 50 st - 101 ave is trying to sell the place. He had an offer and then declined but now after a month is back to trying to sell the place.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Donair Stop used to be on 101st and 50th, but they moved to 98th just off of 75th street.
The place that replaced Donair Stop on 50th street is called Top Donair and is much much better.

I grew up on Donair Stop, it's where I had my first donair, the old man and me used to go there a few times a year before Oilers games. But after they moved their quality and customer service has gone down big time. Wouldn't recommend it.
ya its really good...since I've been working in the east end, I've been looking for great donairs
gonna have to make the trek to Donair Stop to give it a whirl

Donair Stop is one of the few places that purchases the high grade donair meat, rather then the cheaper bread filled one that almost every donair place uses because it is better bang for their pockets.

I have tried about half a dozen places around the city and have been let down period. Nitza's Pizza in Sherwood Park are selling 2 donairs for about 8 bucks. You can't be buying the better meat if your selling it that cheap period.

There is another donair place right by Kings University College on 50 st. I do not know how good the donairs are at this place.

The donair guy that is now on basically 50 st - 101 ave is trying to sell the place. He had an offer and then declined but now after a month is back to trying to sell the place.

they are fantastic...little pricier but served fresh and tons of meat

I'm a West-end guy (St. Albert actually) and sir Donair was great and same with Donna's restaurant in Acheson

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Got to give a shout out to Kabsa on Whyte and 103, beside the E and C. Very good Donair. I have had one a week for the past couple months. Very good drunk Donair!!!!

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
kabobs >>>>>>>>donairs

why would u say something like that? i'm a proud arab and even I know the arab wars are about this very debate. Enshala you learn your lesson mister.

*looks at his donair* "dont worry donairy, he didnt mean that"

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
What do you guys think of Marco's?

I also went to this place out on the NE side. I think it was called Eddie's Donair? I really liked it. But I'm a huge donair guy - can't go wrong!

For the guys out east, I used to eat Schawarma's and it seemed to be the same thing.

MArcos is pretty good....sometimes i find their donairs aren't mixed properly. one side of the donair is all meat, the other side of the donair is all vegetables. it just doesnt feel right

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
MArcos is pretty good....sometimes i find their donairs aren't mixed properly. one side of the donair is all meat, the other side of the donair is all vegetables. it just doesnt feel right

I like the proportions I get there: one side is all meat, and the other side is all meat.

Swiss then Marco's for me so far.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
In Fort Sask a place called Dare2Donair opened right across the street from SubJoint and it blows SJ out of the water. Sooo good.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009

Who gets a chicken donair though?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad