OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

Hairball

Oct 4, 2002
Oiler Nation
Visit site
Woot!

My little donair thread grew up! I'm excited to see a second installation to preach the goodness of donairs.

I'm currently working in Fort Saskatchewan and there's a place there called SubJoint. She's got a pretty good thing going there. Her donairs are excellent and she offers multiple types of sauce. My current favourite is a combination of curry and sweet sauce.

One thing bad though is the lack of consistency in portion sizes.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
You take that back.

There is absolutely no reason to come in here and start talking like that.

Just an absolute lack of class and respect right there.

Donair Police get this guy the **** out of here!!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
kabobs >>>>>>>>donairs

Those are ****ing fighting words.

You take that back.

There is absolutely no reason to come in here and start talking like that.

Just an absolute lack of class and respect right there.

Donair Police get this guy the **** out of here!!

London Kabobs are ten times better than those things you guys call donairs

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Woot!

My little donair thread grew up! I'm excited to see a second installation to preach the goodness of donairs.

I'm currently working in Fort Saskatchewan and there's a place there called SubJoint. She's got a pretty good thing going there. Her donairs are excellent and she offers multiple types of sauce. My current favourite is a combination of curry and sweet sauce.

One thing bad though is the lack of consistency in portion sizes.

I'l vouch for subjoint in Fort Sask. I'm a sweet and dill sauce fan. Place is pretty good.

I live close to Swiss Donair.. will definately have to check it out.

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
I went to Nitza's Pizza in the park and had a sub donair version. This place loves to push the 2 for 1 on everything. Translation they use the filler donair meat. It was average but you could tell they were cutting corners where they could. Inside needed some sprucing up as the posters and ad were falling down and delapitated. Won't be returning.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I went to Nitza's Pizza in the park and had a sub donair version. This place loves to push the 2 for 1 on everything. Translation they use the filler donair meat. It was average but you could tell they were cutting corners where they could. Inside needed some sprucing up as the posters and ad were falling down and delapitated. Won't be returning.

'Real' Nitza's on Wye Road or Sherwood Nitza's on Graham Road?

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
The one on Graham Road is the one I went to. The reviews of the new location don't seem to be too good.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Fly to Turkey\Lebanon? Why when you can have a great donair in Edmonton.

Halifax, this ain't the doner kabob thread.

The donairs out east aren't fundamentally different but they do approach them differently. I could see someone from Alberta coming back and preferring Edmonton donairs, but I haven't seen it happen yet.

chrisj

Mar 7, 2005
Going to Halifax in two weeks... I may only eat donairs for the week I'm there.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Going to Halifax in two weeks... I may only eat donairs for the week I'm there.

Every donair shop in Halifax seems to have amazing poutine and even better pizza too. Amazing place for drunk food.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
Calgary resident, but I've had the tombstone donair that you can get on the U of A food court, forget the name of the pace but it achieves a whole new level of poutine filled debauchery.

Poochiemoo

Oct 28, 2005
The new donair place in Victoria, Efes, leaves a lot to be desired, which is unfortunate because I work 200 feet away.

So many ol' timers in this thread...

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
What do you guys think of Marco's?

I also went to this place out on the NE side. I think it was called Eddie's Donair? I really liked it. But I'm a huge donair guy - can't go wrong!

For the guys out east, I used to eat Schawarma's and it seemed to be the same thing.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
The new donair place in Victoria, Efes, leaves a lot to be desired, which is unfortunate because I work 200 feet away.
So many ol' timers in this thread...
Efes the beer is exellent. One nice thing about living in Munich is the trips to Turkey the food is unreal but the donair we know in north america does not exist there.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
What do you guys think of Marco's?

I also went to this place out on the NE side. I think it was called Eddie's Donair? I really liked it. But I'm a huge donair guy - can't go wrong!

For the guys out east, I used to eat Schawarma's and it seemed to be the same thing.

In NE you either go Swiss or you go home.

Eddies was a supreme disappointment with that wack mayo sauce that he uses.

And the pompous attitude while I'm eating and him bragging, kid needs to learn about humility. Kept telling me how he's already known as "king of donairs" in Edmonton and all that.

Even if it was good (it wasn't FTR), that attitude turns any customer off

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

And the pompous attitude while I'm eating and him bragging, kid needs to learn about humility. Kept telling me how he's already known as "king of donairs" in Edmonton and all that.

Yeah, I went there once. Donairs weren't too bad, but he is way too cocky for my liking.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton

Seconded. Swiss is the best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad