Confirmed with Link: Don Waddell Signs Multi-Year Extension With Hurricanes

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Cliff notes?

Here ya go:

“It’s probably less drama to have a contract,” Dundon said via teleconference Monday. “But I’m comfortable with what we’re doing and how we’re doing it. I know what our relationship is and I thought it would take something extremely compelling for him to leave but if there was something better for him in this world, something that much better than our situation, I’d be rooting for him. Contracts don’t help me that much, candidly. I understand that I’m alone on this one but that’s how I feel.”

“If somebody wants a contract, if that’s important to them, I’m open-minded to it,” he said Monday. “If that job (Wild GM) hadn’t opened up and he (Waddell) hadn’t called, I wouldn’t have thought twice about this. I don’t think (writing it down) changes the outcome of what he’s going to do or how long he’s going to do it. We have a couple guys on contract right now, I think (Eric) Tulsky is on a five-year contract right now. Don and I really value him, he’s got kids and he wanted security so I gave him a five-year contract. There’s others who aren’t on contracts. Every situation is different. When he (Waddell) got into this situation where it made him more comfortable, then I gave it to him.”

Sara Civ did say that a source confirmed afterwards that Tulsky had 4 years left on his deal, not five as Dundon said.

And this from Waddell:

“We talked about exploring it, and Tom was OK with that, so I felt that at that point I should probably do it,” he told The Athletic. “Unfortunately their timetable was different than my timetable. They said their timetable was longer than either one of us would expect. But we kept talking, business as usual. The day I went in there (Minnesota) that afternoon we (Carolina) made a trade for a player and continued to operate normally.”

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
If Minny hadn't fired Fenton in the middle of July, we wouldn't have even cared that Waddell was working without a contract. I get that Dundon is different, but do we really have to go looking for stuff to criticize? This list of things that he has taken grief for handling poorly, only to end up being completely right, is getting longer by the day. I'm not sure anybody has ever had to work so hard for credibility after making a BILLION dollars in the history of ever.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
There are positions within your organization that should be under contract so that people don’t bolt for another role and leave you hanging.

Agreed. It just so happens that "GM" is *not* one of those positions in Dundon's opinion. Or at least, Waddell is *not* one of the people in his management group he can't function without.

There are positions that you can get by with not having someone for 6-8 weeks but you’re stretching your existing staff too much if you got longer than that without a replacement.

It's not about the position, it's about the person. You have key people and you have replacement-level people. Just like players. There are people that the Canes can live without, and people they can't. You keep the good ones.

Trust me. I had this exact argument with Hurricanes execs during the second lockout in 2005. They didn't get it, and it basically made me pull my hair out. It's one of the bigger reasons I left.

If Waddell were to walk mid season it’s not like other nhl teams are going to let one of their executives leave mid season to join your team.

So? Every time somebody comes over here to post, it's basically to tell us that Dundon can't do it his way because that's not how it's done. Well tough. Don Waddell is still Don Waddell. If we had lost him in the middle of next season, we'd have hired a guy to replace his role and not missed a step. Dundon has gotten it to the point where we don't need a genius, proficient in all facets of running a hockey club, to be our GM. Waddell is a cog in the machine. Deal with it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If Minny hadn't fired Fenton in the middle of July, we wouldn't have even cared that Waddell was working without a contract. I get that Dundon is different, but do we really have to go looking for stuff to criticize?

I don't think MOST posters are criticizing him for this, at least most Canes posters. A few are, but I see most posters not criticizing him for this.

This list of things that he has taken grief for handling poorly, only to end up being completely right, is getting longer by the day. I'm not sure anybody has ever had to work so hard for credibility after making a BILLION dollars in the history of ever.

True, but again, I think it's only a handful of posters on this board and a TON of posters that aren't Canes fans, who are definitely looking for something to criticize. I don't always agree with every move, but I'm of the view to just let it play out, the same as I was last year when Skinner was moved for what looked to be peanuts. As long as the team has success, it's fine with me.

Reactions: zman77

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I'm waiting for someone to go post a "top 5 franchises of the 00's" and jam us in there. Went to conference finals 3 times that decade, beginning, middle and end. It's really a period of sustained excellence, if you think about it.

The only team to make more appearances than Carolina in the conference finals from 00-09 is Detroit, with 4. The canes made it 3 times, same as the devils, stars, flyers, penguins and ducks. Only the wings and devils won more than one cup with 2 each. It'd be hard to argue that there are 5 teams with head and shoulders more playoff success than the canes in that period, though I'm sure that wont stop a lot of people

Reactions: DaveG

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If Minny hadn't fired Fenton in the middle of July, we wouldn't have even cared that Waddell was working without a contract. I get that Dundon is different, but do we really have to go looking for stuff to criticize? This list of things that he has taken grief for handling poorly, only to end up being completely right, is getting longer by the day. I'm not sure anybody has ever had to work so hard for credibility after making a BILLION dollars in the history of ever.

I've said it before and I believe @Boom Boom Apathy holds this belief as well, Tom Dundon is keeping the Hurricanes in the news on a weekly basis. Some may not like some of the reasons why, but this team is relevant and newsworthy. Tom Dundon's business practices seem like fingernails on the blackboard to hockey traditionalists....the results seem to be leaning toward proof that his methods might continue to work. Regardless, the PR benefit and marketing lift this is providing is pretty darn impressive.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We gonna need a bigger bandwagon.
Yeah, but Tom Dundon won't pay for one. We will have to just sit on each other's laps.

bandwagon.jpg

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Waddell and Tulsky signed long-term, with Aho fully signed up throughout the year tearing up the league while other RFAs are unsigned. I don't care how Dundon did it, I'm glad he's doing it.

He did it by playing hard to get.

"Yeah I'm not giving any of you contracts."

"Oh... oh yeah...? We'll see about that!"

And then everyone go their own way to each shenanigaze themselves in various way into position where Dundo has to ink them in.

And he feigns aggravation as everyone falls in line beautifully thinking *they* won here.

It's like the ****er has some previous experience in getting people's autographs on contracts.

"I don't think that car is you. It's a tad on the expensive side. Out of your price range really. There, in the back, I have some nice budget choices..."

Fifteen minutes later dude drives away in fancy car he can't afford. Dundo looks in the window, smiles, and waves.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Almost? That’s exactly what he’s doing.

Williams signing is probably going to be at some season ticket holder event or something the day individual tickets go on sale.

Yeah. If you want to be in professional level in nhl next season, you have been exercising hard already a while. You havent exercised that hard for a wgile if you do not have serious plan to play professionally next season. So its only about when...

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
He did it by playing hard to get.

"Yeah I'm not giving any of you contracts."

"Oh... oh yeah...? We'll see about that!"

And then everyone go their own way to each shenanigaze themselves in various way into position where Dundo has to ink them in.

And he feigns aggravation as everyone falls in line beautifully thinking *they* won here.

It's like the ****er has some previous experience in getting people's autographs on contracts.

"I don't think that car is you. It's a tad on the expensive side. Out of your price range really. There, in the back, I have some nice budget choices..."

Fifteen minutes later dude drives away in fancy car he can't afford. Dundo looks in the window, smiles, and waves.
Holy shit, you f***ing nailed it.

"I'm not sure we really want to part with Victor Rask... lemme go talk with my supervisor."

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Almost? That’s exactly what he’s doing.

Williams signing is probably going to be at some season ticket holder event or something the day individual tickets go on sale.

If nothing else is, it's clear Dundon subscribes to the P.T. Barnum school of "any news is good news". He LOVES it when Canes are getting mentioned. Def different from JR allowing the team to slip into obsolescence.

Feels so weird to be relevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad