Confirmed with Link: Don Waddell Signs Multi-Year Extension With Hurricanes

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I was really thinking this morning that the Canes weren't in the news much these past few days so I wondered what Dundon would do next. It's almost like he's metering out these things and causing some drama to keep the Canes in the headlines.

Just wait until Stephen A Smith mentions our squad. Then we will have really made it

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It's still pretty wild (no pun intended) that a team was actively pursuing a guy that was roundly considered to be an idiot not worthy of the job just a year ago.

That just goes to show you how overrated the position really is. There's a lot to being a good or bad GM that involves luck, not individual skill.
Or being able or allowed (coughAtlantacough) to have a good staff to work with... Giggity.

Long gone are the days of Sam Pollock.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
It seems like for Tom he doesn't agree/believe front office staff should be under contract. Your being paid a salary to work for this team like any other job. Contract or not anybody could be fired tomorrow. He is right contracts are one way and for the employee only. But if someone wants that because it makes them feel better he is willing to do it. I see and understand Tom's view on it. I also understand people wanting a contract if it gives them value as an employee. It really feels like Tom and Don did this so they would stop getting questions and have people talk about it. I got the vibe that Don really didn't need a or want a contract.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
All aboard the troller coaster!!!
Troller Coaster.... of lolz

tumblr_p3937zKXEc1umougao2_250.gif

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
It seems like for Tom he doesn't agree/believe front office staff should be under contract. Your being paid a salary to work for this team like any other job. Contract or not anybody could be fired tomorrow. He is right contracts are one way and for the employee only. But if someone wants that because it makes them feel better he is willing to do it. I see and understand Tom's view on it. I also understand people wanting a contract if it gives them value as an employee. It really feels like Tom and Don did this so they would stop getting questions and have people talk about it. I got the vibe that Don really didn't need a or want a contract.

I am 100% on board with you until the last 2 sentences. My guess is that DW came to see the contract as "tangible" job security and valued it enough to ask Dundon for one. Perhaps he had a conversation or two with friends who advised him to get himself under contract. I'm not allowing myself to easily believe that they were signed to contracts simply for the optics of it.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I’ve been reluctant to buy in to the “stretch out drama to keep the Canes in the news” theory but with how unnecessary this whole episode seems in hindsight, I could begin to appreciate that line of thought. Tom said that if Don really wanted a contract, he would give him one. soooooo... I guess he wanted one? what a weird kabuki dance this has been.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

There are positions within your organization that should be under contract so that people don’t bolt for another role and leave you hanging. There are positions that you can get by with not having someone for 6-8 weeks but you’re stretching your existing staff too much if you got longer than that without a replacement.

If Waddell were to walk mid season it’s not like other nhl teams are going to let one of their executives leave mid season to join your team.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3