Management Don Sweeney

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I don't like Sweeney, but what is done is done. ... I probably would have gone all in as well. However, I think the Monty hiring will be a problem. Even though he tinkered with lines continuously-too much frankly; I got the impression that he just rolled them out there. He definitely did not know on whom to rely at the end, and that goes for more than the goalers. Cassidy and Julien both excelled at that.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
blueprint is easy

Do not knock yourself out to create a perfect unbeatable team

This year was a blast - it was a summer on Nantucket spent 24/7 with Jessica Biel tell you she wants to marry you and have your babies - until then let’s practice as much as possible.

Bruins can ice a team tomorrow that can compete for a playoff spot

135 points was amazing but reality 95 is enough

Florida is here with 92 & islanders 93 & Kraken 100

Ideally 100 should be the goal

If Bergeron returns they probably can easily hit 110 but even without 95-100 should be a given

I’m fine with Zacha & Coyle - check what’s available in February

7th or 8th seed gets you in pressure free

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
blueprint is easy

Do not knock yourself out to create a perfect unbeatable team

This year was a blast - it was a summer on Nantucket spent 24/7 with Jessica Biel tell you she wants to marry you and have your babies - until then let’s practice as much as possible.

Bruins can ice a team tomorrow that can compete for a playoff spot

135 points was amazing but reality 95 is enough

Florida is here with 92 & islanders 93 & Kraken 100

Ideally 100 should be the goal

If Bergeron returns they probably can easily hit 110 but even without 95-100 should be a given

I’m fine with Zacha & Coyle - check what’s available in February

7th or 8th seed gets you in pressure free

Did DKH just watch a Summer Catch Marathon before this post

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don't like Sweeney, but what is done is done. ... I probably would have gone all in as well. However, I think the Monty hiring will be a problem. Even though he tinkered with lines continuously-too much frankly; I got the impression that he just rolled them out there. He definitely did not know on whom to rely at the end, and that goes for more than the goalers. Cassidy and Julien both excelled at that.
My takeaway is and it’s a guess but I don’t know any other way - Monty doesn’t use his assistants or the input of his player leadership like I thought

I heard Tedy Bruschi say Belichick would call in captains/leaders in and go over stuff and they had no fear or problem telling him ‘no, let’s do this’ and they discuss and Belichick would say you are on the field you know what works and if you believe it let’s go there’

The lines Monty came up with in game 5 were off script - he gave them all new linemates and basically gave them something else to think about.

People are creatures of habits and the mind is at its most powerful when it can focus on one task

After 8 minutes Bergeron & Coyle switched - after 37 minutes they reverted back to regular 65 win lineup but with Lauko who Tkachuk singled out on FO at 2-2 and tricked into a penalty

30 seconds later Reinhart 3-2 PP

He tried to make all 3 of Clifton Grzelcyk & Forbort happy and all he did was add pressure & doubt and screw up familiarity

There was nothing wrong with this team beyond autopilot

Monty to me turned in the worst week of coaching I’ve ever seen at this time of year games 5-7

If he called in Bergeron & Marchand and said ‘whataya think? Can you hop back on there between 63 & 74?’

Of course he says yes

Bertuzzi at KW game 7?

Nosek playing with Coyle most of game 7 on faceoffs and Hall who was unreal on the bench

Did DKH just watch a Summer Catch Marathon before this post
I don’t have to it plays over in my head

Reactions: missingchicklet

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
My takeaway is and it’s a guess but I don’t know any other way - Monty doesn’t use his assistants or the input of his player leadership like I thought

I heard Tedy Bruschi say Belichick would call in captains/leaders in and go over stuff and they had no fear or problem telling him ‘no, let’s do this’ and they discuss and Belichick would say you are on the field you know what works and if you believe it let’s go there’

The lines Monty came up with in game 5 were off script - he gave them all new linemates and basically gave them something else to think about.

People are creatures of habits and the mind is at its most powerful when it can focus on one task

After 8 minutes Bergeron & Coyle switched - after 37 minutes they reverted back to regular 65 win lineup but with Lauko who Tkachuk singled out on FO at 2-2 and tricked into a penalty

30 seconds later Reinhart 3-2 PP

He tried to make all 3 of Clifton Grzelcyk & Forbort happy and all he did was add pressure & doubt and screw up familiarity

There was nothing wrong with this team beyond autopilot

Monty to me turned in the worst week of coaching I’ve ever seen at this time of year games 5-7

If he called in Bergeron & Marchand and said ‘whataya think? Can you hop back on there between 63 & 74?’

Of course he says yes

Bertuzzi at KW game 7?

Nosek playing with Coyle most of game 7 on faceoffs and Hall who was unreal on the bench

I don’t have to it plays over in my head
That’s an awful lot of focus on the wrong end of the ice, if you ask me. Regardless if it came on the PP or 5 v 5, our forwards scored at a better rate than the RS.

The real issue is if you look at the backend. Our GA was dreadful. Some was on the keeping, some perhaps on some of the line issues you discussed at forward, but most of that came at the hands of our defense turning in a Jekyll v. Hyde performance. Not sure whether it was Jekyll or Hyde who was the RS guy - I always got them confused. But the shitty one was the PO’s I know that.

Again, I believe it‘s the D zone that requires the closest look/analysis as to what went so overwhelmingly wrong.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That’s an awful lot of focus on the wrong end of the ice, if you ask me. Regardless if it came on the PP or 5 v 5, our forwards scored at a better rate than the RS.

The real issue is if you look at the backend. Our GA was dreadful. Some was on the keeping, some perhaps on some of the line issues you discussed at forward, but most of that came at the hands of our defense turning in a Jekyll v. Hyde performance. Not sure whether it was Jekyll or Hyde who was the RS guy - I always got them confused. But the shitty one was the PO’s I know that.

Again, I believe it‘s the D zone that requires the closest look/analysis as to what went so overwhelmingly wrong.
Yes it was a major issue

My take is Monty screwed around with 5-7 personnel and by extension the pairings

If I had one answer to know it would be

1. Who ‘decides’ who the 5th & 6th D are. Monty or Gruden

2. Who decides on pairings

I know Monty is responsible but who made the decision who to scratch and pair

It was such a No brainer to me and my boys you go with every game barring injuries

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Lindholm- Carlo
Orlov- Clifton

Forbort

Monty or Gruden made a shit show out of this

Game 5 Grzelcyk on right side in OT

I can’t get over how Monty lost his f’n mind

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Enough of the endless threads and articles- all I need is to read Dom

He makes it clear what needs to be done to create the space...than it's a case of deciding who they really want here

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
The Bruins still have the fatal flaw of not being able to hold up to a heavy and persistent fore-check in their own end. They are smallish and soft. It leads to bad plays, pig piles around the net, and loads of mistakes in their own end as well.

Monty and Sweeney didn't address this flaw. The playoffs started and the Panthers ground the Bruins D down. They forced loose pucks around the net where the Bruins routinely puked the bed and allowed for extended zone time.

In the offensive end I think what Sweeney put together was more than good enough. Bertuzzi was solid. Hall was ok, still not a factor against 3rd liners the same can be said for alot if the Bruins bottom 6. But the offense was there for sure.

In the end our good old friend Mike Milbury said it best. "The best checking team won the series." The team that played the best playoff hockey won the series. The Panthers got lucky as well.

Its the playoffs not the winter classic. I hope that Montgomery and Sweeney can adjust to what teams are doing to eliminate them.

The Bruins are going to have look and see what type of hockey they want to play. They have been drafting and developing the small/skilled lane really since 2015 maybe earlier.

I want to see what Sweeney is gonna do this off-season. He went all in this year. It will be interesting to see what they team can do with all the cap issues and player departures that are surely going to happen.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
The Bruins still have the fatal flaw of not being able to hold up to a heavy and persistent fore-check in their own end. They are smallish and soft. It leads to bad plays, pig piles around the net, and loads of mistakes in their own end as well.

Monty and Sweeney didn't address this flaw. The playoffs started and the Panthers ground the Bruins D down. They forced loose pucks around the net where the Bruins routinely puked the bed and allowed for extended zone time.

In the offensive end I think what Sweeney put together was more than good enough. Bertuzzi was solid. Hall was ok, still not a factor against 3rd liners the same can be said for alot if the Bruins bottom 6. But the offense was there for sure.

In the end our good old friend Mike Milbury said it best. "The best checking team won the series." The team that played the best playoff hockey won the series. The Panthers got lucky as well.

Its the playoffs not the winter classic. I hope that Montgomery and Sweeney can adjust to what teams are doing to eliminate them.

The Bruins are going to have look and see what type of hockey they want to play. They have been drafting and developing the small/skilled lane really since 2015 maybe earlier.

I want to see what Sweeney is gonna do this off-season. He went all in this year. It will be interesting to see what they team can do with all the cap issues and player departures that are surely going to happen.
They did address it in the beginning of the year. It worked out great. Then they started to wrap the puck around the boards again like in the previous teams.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Begins and Ends here.

Reactions: BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Devils can’t handle forecheck getting destroyed

Odd because Rangers couldn’t handle Devils swarming them with speed on forecheck

It’s clear the NHL perfect forward for playoffs is Sam Bennett

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

The man steps up. Good for you.

Next time, leave the crow to one side and try the ortolan,

Death[edit]​

François Mitterrand died in Paris on 8 January 1996 at the age of 79 from prostate cancer, a condition he and his doctors had concealed for most of his presidency (see section on "Medical secrecy" below).[102] A few days before his death, he was joined by family members and close friends for a "last meal" that attracted controversy because, in addition to other gourmet dishes, it included the serving of roast ortolan bunting, a small wild songbird that is a protected species whose sale was and remains illegal in France.[103][104]

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Love this

Sweeney objective is make the playoffs
Keep all top picks
Open on road and any game 7 away

Coyle
Zacha
Frederic

With those wingers and D get you in - but likely not a top 4 seed

Reactions: Alicat

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Love this

Sweeney objective is make the playoffs
Keep all top picks
Open on road and any game 7 away

Coyle
Zacha
Frederic

With those wingers and D get you in - but likely not a top 4 seed

Sure the Bruins could probably drift into a playoffs spot. But even if they did what would give us cause to believe that they'd have any more chance of success in the postseason than the teams of recent years who have all failed pretty badly? It seems fairly well-established by now that when it comes to playoffs this roster is quite flawed. What changes, and how, to rectify that?

I wouldn't say it can't be done, but the moves they can make are pretty limited give the cap and assets situations, so it's not easy to see a path to genuine improvement simply through adding new pieces. If it is to happen, the step forward's largely going to have to come from what they already have. How much that's a realistic expectation I'm not sure.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Too bad Trent Frederic isn't very good.
Another drafted "big, 200 foot center" that the Bruins don't play at center. I think he would be a good #4 center, but he may want too much for his 17 goals.

They have to get Bergeron back, Coyle is not a top 6 player, but granted he did look ok with Marchand and Jake in like 16 min or so in the play-offs but you can count on him for top 6 imo

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Another drafted "big, 200 foot center" that the Bruins don't play at center. I think he would be a good #4 center, but he may want too much for his 17 goals.

They have to get Bergeron back, Coyle is not a top 6 player, but granted he did look ok with Marchand and Jake in like 16 min or so in the play-offs but you can count on him for top 6 imo

Coyle has never been able to play at a top 6 level consistently. In patches he can bring it, but then he tends to fall away and become ineffective. It's a stretch to think he can finally take that step up at 31 years old. Do a decent job as a 1/2C for a so-so team? Yeah possibly. But get it done for a serious contender? Can't see it.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

Coyle again looked like the 2019 Coyle ,for a couple of games and then disappeared,ok they moved him down in the lineup,but did he have to totally disappear again.Which seems to be who he is .

Reactions: EverettMike

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Sweeney you can’t blame all for this ( and I am considered a Sweeney hater) , he may have underestimated the desire in players for going through a playoff war, but he got the right skill sets as obvious to the type of season they had. It’s on the players to develop a pack of wolves mentality and bring their game to another intensity level which is required in playoffs. Too many games looked like they wanted to just play like a regular season game and win that way. Coach didn’t help much he kind of just watched it unfold.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Coyle has never been able to play at a top 6 level consistently. In patches he can bring it, but then he tends to fall away and become ineffective. It's a stretch to think he can finally take that step up at 31 years old. Do a decent job as a 1/2C for a so-so team? Yeah possibly. But get it done for a serious contender? Can't see it.

Though if he played top 6 on this team he would have a couple of very good wingers.

In Coyle & Frederic you have two centers who are not playmakers. Not good.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Still no word from Chuckie; Cam; or Donny?

Was there a presser or statement that I missed or are they still in hiding? I’ve been too busy to pay that close attention.

f***ing cowards. Too ashamed to show their faces.

Reactions: BMC

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
At what point does Cam Neely and Don Sweeney get held accountable for this? Yes, I get it. 135 Points. President's trophy. All well and fantastic. That trophy can go with the two other ones the Bruins won in this run right behind the Stanley Cups. If the season was the only thing that mattered like in the Premier League, I'd be jumping for joy. But that's not how this works. This was do or die time for a cup and the team blew it. And I'm sorry but I have no confidence in this team bouncing back up off the mat like the Lightning did or even themselves after the embarrassment of 2009-10. This team may be out for the count and unless Neely, Sweeney, or Chuck Jacobs have anything to say about this...then I have to assume it's the front office once again putting their heads in the sand so they don't have to address the Hindenburg like end to this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad