Management Don Sweeney

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So for basically the price it would have cost the Bruins to get Chychrun, Sweeny was instead able to spin that price into Orlov, Hathaway, and Bertuzzi.

He's a wizard.

Reactions: Gordoff

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I do worry a little bit about Bertuzzi fitting into the locker room culture of the team. I guess we'll see how all this plays out.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
1677772030676.jpeg

somebody pass me the ketchup

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
We had 6 first round picks between 2015-18

Just pretend these guys where all 1st rounders…people would call Sweeney a great drafter

DeBrusk- 1st line talent
Carlo- top 4 D, elite shutdown man
McAvoy- Norris trophy worthy
Lindgren- Top 4 D
Frederic- 3rd line talent
Swayman- high end #1 Goalie

Drafting McAvoy who is the 2nd best player from the 2016 draft class

Completely made up for the miss on Zboril and Seny
And the jury is still out on Zboril. The B's thought enough of him to keep him on the roster all season basically without playing him, for fear of losing him to a waiver claim. They didn't trade him, either--yet.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Don’t think I’ve ever seen a GM grow the way he has over the years. Still gives out the bad UFA contract here and there but a lot of his moves lately have been masterful, starting with the hiring of Montgomery

I wanted him and Neely gone after the MM fiasco- I’m glad he’s still around today though because what he’s done this deadline is A+

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Don Sweeney is an assassin
Let`s not forget Evan Gold`s treasure chest of ammunition

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a GM grow the way he has over the years. Still gives out the bad UFA contract here and there but a lot of his moves lately have been masterful, starting with the hiring of Montgomery

I wanted him and Neely gone after the MM fiasco- I’m glad he’s still around today though because what he’s done this deadline is A+
agreed, not one GM in the league though doesn`t have a bad contract or two on their books

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Let`s not forget Evan Gold`s treasure chest of ammunition

agreed, not one GM in the league though doesn`t have a bad contract or two on their books
It’s the nature of unrestricted free agency, can’t hold it against him too much when he’s built a wagon!

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
I've been critical of Don in the past but if they don't win this year this is 100% on the players

StonedZboril

Jul 8, 2022
I do worry a little bit about Bertuzzi fitting into the locker room culture of the team. I guess we'll see how all this plays out.
Is the locker room the board of directors for Moderna? He’ll be fine. We got the most welcoming locker room in the league. Orlov is already giggling like a school girl.

• Haha
Reactions: Kegs

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I've been critical of Don in the past but if they don't win this year this is 100% on the players
I have not just been critical of Sweeney I have been just downright nasty towards the job is was doing , but the Lindholm deal was the start he has been a beast and Zacka , I loved that deal when it was announced ,and he has continued to keep the ball rolling and biggest bitch with him was he never seemed to build his team in offseason , but you are right he has done his job the past year and now it is on the players 10000 % . Now lets pray for good health for all . Fellow fans sit back and enjoy.........

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Bruins don't win the Cup this year and all the Fire Sweeney people will be back.
I was very critical of Sweeney in the off season. Very. Primarily around situation regarding Centers coming in to the season.

I've eaten crow on that already this season (as well as a portion or two on Foligno) and will happily do it again today.

I asked Sweeney to go for it a few days ago, and good lord has he done that.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Bruins don't win the Cup this year and all the Fire Sweeney people will be back.

If they don't win this year it will either be on the players, bad luck, or the simple fact that things can happen in a seven game NHL playoff series when two good teams play. (Especially when random goalies can get insanely hot at the right time and steal a series.) If they don't win it will NOT be on Sweeney. He has put them in as good a spot as humanly possible. There's zero denying he's done an amazing job this year.

If they come up short the fair criticism in regards to him will not have anything to do with the job he did this year, but that he didn't make these kinds of moves in previous seasons to expand their championship window. Depending on what Bergeron and Krejci decide to do this could sort of be a "this is our only real shot for the foreseeable future" type go. And like I just said, one playoff series can ruin everything. Look at Tampa getting swept in Round 1 the year before they won 2 straight Cups and went to a third Final. Shit happens in a short series, which is why you want as long a chance as possible to win.

How many years did we beg for him to fill the hole in the top 6? Or to get another defenseman who could carry a big load? And every year he didn't and those weaknesses manifested in the post-season. Those were fair criticisms then, and the fact he's making big moves this year proves they were. He CAN make big NHL trades that fix the roster. Better late than never, obviously, but it doesn't change the past. (On the flip side, the past is gone and done and it's time to enjoy the upcoming spring and hopefully June.)

I wish we got this Sweeney five years ago. But people can get better at their job and he CLEARLY has based on his performance this season alone. He's like a totally different GM all of a sudden. This is a guy last year who traded a second for cap space and then didn't use it!

All of which is a long way to address your original point: even if they get swept in Round 1 this year I will not call for him to be fired again.* Failure to win a Cup or even seriously contend for one this year won't be on him the way it was in previous seasons. A+ job by him.

*I will never forgive him or Neely for the Mitch Miller bullshit. I think they're bad humans, but I'm talking about Don Sweeney the GM in this post.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
People know that you can be critical when you disagree with the decisions made or with a lack of ability to close deals
And then
Complimentary when the opposite happens
Right?

I've always said that Sweeney has been a mixed bag as a GM. Good at signing contracts, drafting late and acquiring College free agents.

He's struggled at being able to move out cap when required and he's squandered the talented core's prime years by not finding the complimentary pieces that other teams seem to be able to add at will. He's also treated Bruins fans like morons and handled the Mitchell signing like a criminal. There were real reasons to want him (and Cam) fired and I haven't even touched on them all.

So all that said - there's THIS deadline. There's the cap management that allowed for these moves to happen without having to cut off fingers in the process. Firing Cassidy (as angry as it made everyone who wasn't me) was the right move and bringing in Monty was the right replacement. Getting the Pasta deal done for the TDL announcement gives the team the right boost at the right time. However we managed to get here, Sweeney deserves major credit for forging probably the best roster I've ever had the pleasure of watching in my time as a Bruins fan.

Bruins management deserved a lot of shit. And now they deserve a lot of love. Both can be true.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
As much as I disliked a lot of his moves last year, this year he's been crushing it. This contract extension with Pasta is great, but I think his best move of the season was flipping Haula for Zacha. That's turned out to be an incredible move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad