Management Don Sweeney - Media Update ( 7/22/21 )

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think that this may have been the idea/plan when Coyle got his new contract. After all, he really is paid to be a second-line C. (Whether Coyle is indeed a top-six C is another thing.)

This was also my thinking the minute I learnt the specifics of Coyle's new contract - it was the kind of deal you only give to a guy you project as being at least a strong chance of becoming a future top-6 forward. I still think Coyle's a solid player who will hopefully be better again post-surgery, but I cannot see him as a 2C on a contending team. That's as unrealistic as ever. Charlie's contract for me isn't outright awful, but it's certainly over-ambitious.

Last edited:

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
This was also my thinking the minute I learnt the specifics of Coyle's new contract - it was the kind of deal you only give to a guy you project as being at least a strong chance of becoming a future top-6 forward. I still think Coyle's a solid player who will hopefully be better again post-surgery, but I cannot see him as a 2C on a contending team. For me that's as unrealistic as ever. Charlie's contract for me isn't outright awful, but it's certainly over-ambitious.
We're competing for a cup if Coyle Is our 2nd c we in deep doo doo.

Reactions: bbfan419

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
We're competing for a cup if Coyle Is our 2nd c we in deep doo doo.

He really has no other choice to say that, because he knows there's no one internally who can step in and do the job, but he has to put his poker face on and act like he doesn't need help via a trade if that was to happen, but Donny your other GMs aren't stupid and its an area you should of addressed a few years back. He's been a terrible GM, and this is just another reason why, he doesn't have the ability to look down the road and address issues that are sure to arise and him trading draft pick after draft pick away and botching the 2015 draft has left the cupboards bare. His only hope is through free-agency and that's a scary thought in its self!

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
He really has no other choice to say that, because he knows there's no one internally who can step in and do the job, but he has to put his poker face on and act like he doesn't need help via a trade if that was to happen, but Donny your other GMs aren't stupid and its an area you should of addressed a few years back. He's been a terrible GM, and this is just another reason why, he doesn't have the ability to look down the road and address issues that are sure to arise and him trading draft pick after draft pick away and botching the 2015 draft has left the cupboards bare. His only hope is through free-agency.
Man if that's the case get Stastny butt in here he's quite capable to hold hall and shouldn't cost much. Bergy is getting there we gotta go for it. Cant waste this season.

Reactions: Gordoff

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Never buy into what GM’s say. They never flip their cards. They are always bluffing. If he told us he was going after Landeskog, nobody would believe him anyways.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don’t get the Kase thing. I just don’t. Do the kid a favor by not allowing him to play.

Reactions: Gordoff

JoeBeef15

Feb 6, 2012
Somerville, MA
guys-head-assplodes.gif
What the hell movie is that from?

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Kase? Ritchie at that $$$$. Wow just wow. Willing to blow over 5 million in cap space on these two guys? This is so brutal. All the money he saves on top players he blows it on crappy guys. Unreal

Reactions: Gordoff and Jtoms

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
Murphy: Why Has Don Sweeney Been Hesitant On NHL Trade Market?

I know it's Murphy, but I can't say I really disagree with him on this one. Although, maybe he should have opened his mouth and asked Sweeney a tough question. The amount of verbal slight of hand that came out of Sweeney's mouth in that presser was obscene and the press let him get away with it.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
“I haven’t been dealing with the trade market, we haven’t reached Free Agency.”

What is wrong with this guy? That is an embarrassing comment from a GM. I know it won’t happy anytime soon but this guy has to go. He is simply whistling past the graveyard at this point.
Sounds like someone is putting all his eggs in Suter to solve all of his blue line issues

Reactions: inactive user

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
“I haven’t been dealing with the trade market, we haven’t reached Free Agency.”

What is wrong with this guy? That is an embarrassing comment from a GM. I know it won’t happy anytime soon but this guy has to go. He is simply whistling past the graveyard at this point.
I'm sure he has had plenty of discussions about trades so this answer is basically just keeping it close to the vest, but the sheer arrogance from him every time he speaks publicly just makes my skin crawl.

Deal Law

Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
Either that or teams are aware that we have nothing of value to realistically offer in trades.
The only trades they can realistically make are leverage plays, a la Hall. They could get Garland by taking on OEL and get retention because they can take the hit. They can also take Taresenko because they can handle the hit. Other than something along those lines I don't see how they beat anyone out in a straight hockey trade

Reactions: inactive user

Deal Law

Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
I'm sure he has had plenty of discussions about trades so this answer is basically just keeping it close to the vest, but the sheer arrogance from him every time he speaks publicly just makes my skin crawl.
He might as well have said "we have nothing to trade because I suck at my job. Every GM I call laughs at me."

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I hate Sweeney, he is one of the worst GM's ever. Saying he is not interested in the trade market right now, because FA has not started yet, that is just being lazy or stupid or both, get this clown gone yesterday and hire Gorton and Al Murray.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad