Management Don Sweeney - Media Update ( 7/22/21 )

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I disagree that my paraphrase is disingenuous.

The only answer to the question of what happens if Krejci isn't back is: "then we're going to have to go get somebody"

This word vomit is precisely what he said when he didn't do anything for the defence after Krug and Chara left.

So it is, for sure, but I have to imagine that if the dropoff would be that great (and we seem to think it would), he'd be active to try to find a better option.

I feel for DS when it comes to these media things. We haven't even hit free agency yet, nor the draft, what's he supposed to say to some of these questions?

IMO the only thing we can take him to task here for is the Kase decision, which remains baffling.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I don't care. Do you know what the word paraphrase means?

He said if Krejci decides not to return, he had options internally.

He doesn't.

What are you arguing with me about exactly?
I'd be the first to hang Sweeney if he said what you wrote but he didn't literally and he didn't figuratively. I'm glad you got a bunch of people to 'like' your fake quote. Good for you.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Just fire his ass. Enough of this clown. No need to waste $5m of cap space on QO. Kase is done. Senyshyn is a bust. Ritchie is lazy af.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Nothing about tomorrow night draft? Nobody ask Sweeny if is ready to not repeat stupid 2015 moves

Reactions: TCB

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
I'd be the first to hang Sweeney if he said what you wrote but he didn't literally and he didn't figuratively. I'm glad you got a bunch of people to 'like' your fake quote. Good for you.
Not sure what you think Sweeney meant by what he said? From most peoples understanding it’s pretty clear he would be replacing Krejci with what we already have if Krejci decides to decline the offer.

Reactions: EverettMike

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Not sure what you think Sweeney meant by what he said? From most peoples understanding it’s pretty clear he would be replacing Krejci with what we already have if Krejci decides to decline the offer.

I quoted exactly what he said. He said it was a big hole to fill.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
You know I'm just in this for the likes. :laugh:

Where in your more accurate quote does he say anything about needing to go out and acquire help at Krejci's position if Krejci leaves?

Unless you believe that Krejci could be replaced internally, then you're arguing with me over absolutely nothing.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I disagree that my paraphrase is disingenuous.

The only answer to the question of what happens if Krejci isn't back is: "then we're going to have to go get somebody"

This word vomit is precisely what he said when he didn't do anything for the defence after Krug and Chara left.

I would not be surprised if he thought at the time he was filling those roles. Filling Krugs role with Gryz and Chara with Miller.

Reactions: inactive user

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
You know I'm just in this for the likes. :laugh:

Where in your more accurate quote does he say anything about needing to go out and acquire help at Krejci's position if Krejci leaves?

Unless you believe that Krejci could be replaced internally, then you're arguing with me over absolutely nothing.

You user name is certainly appropriate.

He says "we'll certainly explore options". That's a real quote, not a make believe one.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Any way, I'm stick of fighting over fake news.
Here's another real quote and it explains the struggle for Krejci. Someone get a Czech tutor for his kids.

“I love Boston. This is my home. I just don’t see myself playing anywhere else. But at the same time, we’ll see what happens,” he said. “I wanted to finish my career in Czech, which has not changed. But when I said that, I was younger. I’m a husband. I’m a dad, I have two kids. They’re getting older.
“So yes, I still, at one point, would like to finish my career in Czech – for different reasons now than when I first said it,” he continued. “I would like my kids to speak my language because my parents don’t speak any English. My kids don’t speak Czech. I would like them to learn the language. But again, when that’s going to happen, or if that’s going to happen, we’ll see. I’m going to try to get away from the game a little bit now and think about lots of things. Spend some time with my family and just go from there.”

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I would not be surprised if he thought at the time he was filling those roles. Filling Krugs role with Gryz and Chara with Miller.
Perhaps.

But everyone here knew they needed help. It was the ongoing narrative. Not a surprise, everyone could see it.

Sweeney ended up on the waiver wire and active at the deadline to try to patch things up. Tinordi as a physical presence (Chara) and Reilly as the puck mover (Krug). The fans aren't stupid.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto

Not that I completely disagree, but we shouldn't be ignoring the fact that they gave lots of ice time to Lauzon on the first pair, whose loss everyone is now lamenting. Not that he was meant to replace Chara, but most people seemed pretty happy with his play. Let the kids play, many people said.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
And while it would be nice to think that a post-covid, post-surgery Coyle could be 2C and maybe play great with Hall, I'd prefer to find a true 2C replacement for Krejci, should he choose to move on.

I'll wait to see what Sweeney actually DOES with UFAs and trades before I hop on the Fire Sweeney train.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017

That’s exactly what he thought, and he figured one of Lauzon, Zobril or Vaal would break through

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
The only reason I can think of to qualify Kase is if there is interest in a deal. But 1) Who would be interested after his injury history and 2) if the deal falls through Don is stuck with the contract. Seems like a gamble no matter the reason.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Nothing about tomorrow night draft? Nobody ask Sweeny if is ready to not repeat stupid 2015 moves
He said that he and his staff have learned from their mistakes (*massive failures) in previous drafts. Neely has said the same thing.

Unfortunately, they have still been taking reaches on players they could've taken later. So either:

A.) They have not learned from their mistakes
B.) They are lying through their teeth

My guess is it's a combination of the two. After all, Neely is the same guy who lied his ass off saying they'd have an "exhaustive search" for the next GM in 2015 yet all he did was waddle his fat ass 10 feet down the hall to promote Sweeney.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Have you listen to the interview... forget reading the quotes, listen to the interview.

Reactions: inactive user

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I cannot recall a good press conference he has had. It's more garbage than Chiarelli used to spew.

I've stopped watching Sweeney's press conferences, apart from the immediate post-season one. It's not because I outright hate the guy - I see both good and bad in his tenure as GM - but because he rarely says anything of substance in them, the questioning is usually too soft (admittedly not his fault), and IMO he sometimes straight up lies about things, as in last year's claim that he wanted to develop a blueline that could get pucks on the net with purpose, after which he proceeded to form a D that was even worse at this than it was before.

So for me they just offer very little value. I'd say that, while this is true for everyone, Don's especially a guy to judge by his actions, not his words. Still really appreciate @Fenway posting these and all the other media stuff!

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Unfortunately, people need to realize that he's not going anywhere. He played for the Bruins, is Neely's buddy and former teammate, and Sinden and Jacobs love him.

Neely is not going anywhere. He played for the Bruins, is Sweeney's buddy and former teammate, and Sinden and Jacobs love him.

Dean Malkoc, one of our chief scouts, the architect of the abomination of the 2015 1st Round, is not going anywhere. He played for the Bruins, is Sweeney's buddy and former teammate, and Sinden and Jacobs love him.

Notice the trend? Old Boys Club.

Don is a good boy who does what he is told. I remain convinced that his job is to put together a team that makes playoffs every year or at the very least is legit contending to qualify. That's it. Anything further is a bonus. This limits his options both in the amount of risk he can take on to try and go that extra mile and make it to the finals, or in, at least at this stage, going through even a small rebuild phase.

But of course he can never admit this publicly, so we get lots of waffle instead. Just keeps on pushing the same lines and narratives.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad