Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
@bp13 please remind me not to get my hopes up this summer or next year. I'll give you all the reasons why "this year is different" but don't buy it. Tavares, Kovalchuk, Mike Green, Vesey, Duchene/Landeskog, Schenn, Stone/Panarin... At this point there's a pretty big sample showing that Sweeney just can't close the big ones. (Granted, I think he lucked out not closing on a couple of those guys.)

He's much better as a seller when it comes to trades. And he's much better at signing depth guys in free agency (4th line, 3rd pair, backup G) than middle or upper lineup guys.

Even his most ardent "supporters" lead off their compliments by saying "Stone was a pipedream" which I think they say to suggest people were foolish to consider it but it also means they don't think Sweeney could pull it off.

Sweeney does have some good prospects in the stable and I think Studnicka, Vaak, Frederic, Bjork and Keyser can all be top half roster players in a year or two. That's a credit to Sweeney. And the young guys that are here already are studs, guys like Carlo, McAvoy, DeBrusk, Pastrnak, Gryz... they're the guys who are going to be driving this team two years from now.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Why hang onto to Chara?

The only way I'd keep him if he's signs a very team friendly contract and is willing to accept a lesser role. With Lauzon and Vaakanainen waiting in the wings, there's no reason to plan the future around big Z unless he accepts a sustainial pay decrease and ice time.

Backes is going to be nearly impossible to move without giving up another asset. They do have a lot more options like moving Krejci before ts too late and Krug as well. Anyways it should be a very interesting off-season for the Cup Champs!
I can’t see Chara playing last season

He will get his $5 M

Book it

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
@Fenway mentioned somewhere (can't find it now) that this management team isn't profit driven. I think it was in response to someone saying we were stuck on the Sinden treadmill of being good but never willing to take that next step into elite, and Fenway said the big difference was that this management team wasn't focused on profit margins...

The comment stuck in my craw a bit because under Sweeney, we've never actually spent to the cap. I know it drives @Mr. Make-Believe nuts that we leave unused cap space every year. We let the winningest coach in Bruins history sign with our arch-rival so we wouldn't have to pay the last two years on his contract, a contract that was on par with what 3rd/4th liners make in the NHL. People keep talking about the Bergeron/Marchand salary cap, (like the Ray Bourque salary cap during the Sinden-era). And this last deal for Johansson, why give up hockey assets to get NJ to retain 40% of Johansson's contract? We have a dump truck's worth of cap space. I think we could have got Johansson for a 3rd at full value instead of a 2nd and a 5th. We could have added 5 Johansson's.

All of which begs the question, are the Bruins back to being a budget team?

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I wish that, if Sweeney was going to go the low cost route, he would have filled all the holes.

Again, I like the players we got, I wanted them before the deadline and am happy we got them. But Sweeney himself wanted a bigger fish. Ok, he couldn't get one. It is what it is. But it still hurts to see Backes in the lineup. Sweeney signed Stempniak and maybe that's his answer to the problem I'm looking at. I know Lee looked good in Providence so maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised by him, but I'd feel a lot more confident if he could have got someone already in the NHL for a 3rd round pick, to bump Backes into the emergency backup role.

That last piece would really rounded out our top9 nicely.

It will take an exceptionally good performance by a player to bump Backes out. They are giving Backes as long a look / chance to show he still belongs. While he isn't helping too much in the reg season, in the playoffs, as things tighten up, get a little rougher, perhaps he shines a little more.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
@Fenway mentioned somewhere (can't find it now) that this management team isn't profit driven. I think it was in response to someone saying we were stuck on the Sinden treadmill of being good but never willing to take that next step into elite, and Fenway said the big difference was that this management team wasn't focused on profit margins...

The comment stuck in my craw a bit because under Sweeney, we've never actually spent to the cap. I know it drives @Mr. Make-Believe nuts that we leave unused cap space every year. We let the winningest coach in Bruins history sign with our arch-rival so we wouldn't have to pay the last two years on his contract, a contract that was on par with what 3rd/4th liners make in the NHL. People keep talking about the Bergeron/Marchand salary cap, (like the Ray Bourque salary cap during the Sinden-era). And this last deal for Johansson, why give up hockey assets to get NJ to retain 40% of Johansson's contract? We have a dump truck's worth of cap space. I think we could have got Johansson for a 3rd at full value instead of a 2nd and a 5th. We could have added 5 Johansson's.

The retained money is for bonuses. Chara will get 1.5M. ELC some more.

Who cares about the 4th next year?

Bruins improved two spot in the top-9 for only Donato and a 2nd of value and one of these two players is signed through next year.

Bruins are 2nd best team in the East and 2nd most improved team post deadline.

Very positive deadline to me.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I appreciate the gesture. But a goal in making yourself look foolish in a GDT should be about self reward.
Valid, thank you for your input, I will reevaluate my long standing (aka old) feelings about hockey. I will try this new, friendlier version out tonight.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

Having NJ retain salary was a very good move. Several B's have incentive bonuses this year. If they reach them, they are added to this years cap. If they go over the cap, it is applied to next year. Having NJ retain salary gives them a cushion. That said, I don't know what the max amount of the bonuses are, or if they are met what the salary cap would be, but I assume we would be going over thus the reason to have NJ retain.

Jean_Jacket41 beat me to it. Snooze you loose.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
You can get Mark stone and get knocked out in the first round. Cup is all about bounces health and a goaltender standing on his head.
Being the most talented, grittiest and driven have a lot to do with it too. A healthy Dallas even with good bounces and goaltending doesn't really scare anybody do they?

Health is a huge factor, which is a reason some of the prospects should have been moved to create more depth.

Mark Stone helps more than Coyle, and I like what Coyle brings.

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
no way dude, a top 15 player helps more

too bad they couldnt force Ottawa to take what they could offer!

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
@bp13 please remind me not to get my hopes up this summer or next year. I'll give you all the reasons why "this year is different" but don't buy it. Tavares, Kovalchuk, Mike Green, Vesey, Duchene/Landeskog, Schenn, Stone/Panarin... At this point there's a pretty big sample showing that Sweeney just can't close the big ones. (Granted, I think he lucked out not closing on a couple of those guys.)

He's much better as a seller when it comes to trades. And he's much better at signing depth guys in free agency (4th line, 3rd pair, backup G) than middle or upper lineup guys.

Even his most ardent "supporters" lead off their compliments by saying "Stone was a pipedream" which I think they say to suggest people were foolish to consider it but it also means they don't think Sweeney could pull it off.

Sweeney does have some good prospects in the stable and I think Studnicka, Vaak, Frederic, Bjork and Keyser can all be top half roster players in a year or two. That's a credit to Sweeney. And the young guys that are here already are studs, guys like Carlo, McAvoy, DeBrusk, Pastrnak, Gryz... they're the guys who are going to be driving this team two years from now.
Sweeney hasn’t had much success closing big deals. I’ll say this however, aside from the rumblings that Vegas gave up a defensive prospect Boston couldn’t match (unless you’re okay giving up McAvoy), how much were you willing to pay Stone, assuming Sweeney had made the trade?

I read somewhere that Vegas has no state tax, so the equivalent contract here in Boston I would assume is 12m per or close to it. I would not be okay paying Stone DOUBLE what we pay Bergeron or Marchand or Pastrnak.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Sweeney hasn’t had much success closing big deals. I’ll say this however, aside from the rumblings that Vegas gave up a defensive prospect Boston couldn’t match (unless you’re okay giving up McAvoy), how much were you willing to pay Stone, assuming Sweeney had made the trade?

I read somewhere that Vegas has no state tax, so the equivalent contract here in Boston I would assume is 12m per or close to it. I would not be okay paying Stone DOUBLE what we pay Bergeron or Marchand or Pastrnak.
Why isn't it ok to pay someone more than Bergeron or Marchand?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Why isn't it ok to pay someone more than Bergeron or Marchand?

Some untold rule I'll understand the logic behind. The market dictates salaries every year in all pro sports. One year prices are cheaper the next year they go up. An argument that a player signing today should have to reference a deal signed 4 years ago is nonsense

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

I would have gone 10.5 and moved Backes next year. You would probably have to give up a second or good prospect to get somebody to take his contract but it would have been worth it.

I'm good paying whatever it takes to improve the team, bet Bergeron and Marchand are too.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The retained money is for bonuses. Chara will get 1.5M. ELC some more.

Who cares about the 4th next year?

Bruins improved two spot in the top-9 for only Donato and a 2nd of value and one of these two players is signed through next year.

Bruins are 2nd best team in the East and 2nd most improved team post deadline.

Very positive deadline to me.

I would not say for" ONLY "Donato..He has 5 assists n a goal in 3 games in Minny.I get the 2 guys Bruins got look like they fit so far though but the trade of Donato can not be judged yet as great deal unless Bruins win the cup cause he is still so young and not enough time in League yet .If Bruins did not win Cup in 2011 the Wheeler deal would not have felt ok here

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I would have gone 10.5 and moved Backes next year. You would probably have to give up a second or good prospect to get somebody to take his contract but it would have been worth it.

I'm good paying whatever it takes to improve the team, bet Bergeron and Marchand are too.
I don’t think 10.5m in Massachusetts would equal 9.5m Vegas money (tax free). So again, now that we know Stones asking price, would you be okay paying Stone over 12m per year?

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Feb 25 th ... C
Feb 28 th .... B

After carefully thinking about it. Not going into much detail because we already did that. I don’t or can’t get fooled by one game. I may have slightly over-reacted at TDL day. I’m still up in the air on Coyle. But he’s better over what they had. Moving MoJo up on the first line for playoffs somebody posted that and dropping Pasta on DK‘s line for playoffs I might think about. Just a thought . That’s all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad