Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
if you're going to pay McAvoy 7+ he needs to be QBing a PP unit, and Grz can be 80% of Krug at 40% the cap hit. they have no cap space, Krug is the guy that has some value.
MacAvoy isn’t sniffing anything close.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I love the posters who think 50-60 point DMen just grow on trees. They don't.

How many seasons did we go PINING for a PMD prior to trading for Kaberle for the Cup run?

McAvoy is not that, he's a complete package guy. Grezlyck is somewhat that, but not a true PP QB, and one who can facilitate offense 5v5. I love Gryz, but he's nowhere near Krug, and I doubt he ever comes close.

Krug has his warts for sure, they are obvious, but moving on from those guys typically is a dumb decision.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
You got a team that doesn’t score outside the 1st line. To move Krug and his PP ability would be dumb. Until someone steps up and does them slick passes, your in a pinch.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I love the posters who think 50-60 point DMen just grow on trees. They don't.

How many seasons did we go PINING for a PMD prior to trading for Kaberle for the Cup run?

McAvoy is not that, he's a complete package guy. Grezlyck is somewhat that, but not a true PP QB, and one who can facilitate offense 5v5. I love Gryz, but he's nowhere near Krug, and I doubt he ever comes close.

Krug has his warts for sure, they are obvious, but moving on from those guys typically is a dumb decision.

I’ve watched hockey for 40 years now. Krug is one of the best passers I have ever seen in the entire four decades I have been watching.

You lock him up.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Low offensive IQ but consistently produces at over 0.50 PPG pace. That makes sense. Anymore takes on a player you clearly are not familiar with?
Yeah go stats watch if you want. Watch the player. He did have a first game I'll give you that. Still not sold on him as the answer to the second line.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Yeah go stats watch if you want. Watch the player. He did have a first game I'll give you that. Still not sold on him as the answer to the second line.
Your missing the boat on Johansson, He's a player with not only a high offensive IQ but an extremely high 3-zone Hockey IQ. Yes he did have a good first game with Boston but he's been playing that way his whole career in Washington and Jersey.

Reactions: DKH

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Your missing the boat on Johansson, He's a player with not only a high offensive IQ but an extremely high 3-zone Hockey IQ. Yes he did have a good first game with Boston but he's been playing that way his whole career in Washington and Jersey.
Then why wasnt there a huge bidding war with guy and they kept 30% retained, Doesnt really sound like the player that was coveted

Reactions: Strafer

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere

Stats watch???

Just shows how much you don't know. Johansson is the prototype of player who does so much more to help your team win than put up stats.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Stats watch???

Just shows how much you don't know. Johansson is the prototype of player who does so much more to help your team win than put up stats.
again why no bidding war for this guy, why was NJ willing to eat salary. You guys make it seem he like some all star or something. Think he would a good third liner, but I just dont think he does enough as a second liner

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
again why no bidding war for this guy, why was NJ willing to eat salary. You guys make it seem he like some all star or something. Think he would a good third liner, but I just dont think he does enough as a second liner

Devils held out for the 2 and prospect/pick and knew once some dominoes fell someone would pay the price. He was red hot and looks real good.

As for the retention I wouldn’t be surprised if Sweeney did him a favor at some point down the road.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Then why wasnt there a huge bidding war with guy and they kept 30% retained, Doesnt really sound like the player that was coveted

Actually there was a biding war, which affected every team looking to add and sell. The whole hockey world knew it and were waiting on the Sens to decide where Stone and Duchene were going and by the Sens taking it down too the last 15 minutes to decide on where Stone would go, teams more or less had to take the best offer at that point.

I'm sure a player with MoJo talents and playoff experience was coveted around the league and Sweeney just gave the best offer after the Stone sweepstakes had ended and It was actually 40% the devils retained and that works out to around 535 thousand not a real lot in the scheme of things, but with the lack of 1st round picks being given out for UFA getting a 2nd and a 4th from the bruins was a good return.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The retained money is for bonuses. Chara will get 1.5M. ELC some more.

Who cares about the 4th next year?

Bruins improved two spot in the top-9 for only Donato and a 2nd of value and one of these two players is signed through next year.

Bruins are 2nd best team in the East and 2nd most improved team post deadline.

Very positive deadline to me.

They don't need the retained money to pay Chara's bonuses.

I care about the 4th next year. Danton Heinen was a 4th round pick.

I'm glad they improved, even if it was less than what Sweeney wanted... Hopefully it won't end up being less than what they needed. Time will tell. :crossfing

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Sweeney hasn’t had much success closing big deals. I’ll say this however, aside from the rumblings that Vegas gave up a defensive prospect Boston couldn’t match (unless you’re okay giving up McAvoy), how much were you willing to pay Stone, assuming Sweeney had made the trade?

I read somewhere that Vegas has no state tax, so the equivalent contract here in Boston I would assume is 12m per or close to it. I would not be okay paying Stone DOUBLE what we pay Bergeron or Marchand or Pastrnak.

I would pay him whatever it takes. He's a top5 player. Nobody regrets paying superstars big money, it's always the mid range guys that kill you. That said, I don't think state taxes factored in. Rumor was he had the same deal worked out with Ottawa but wanted a large percent via bonuses and Ottawa wouldn't/couldn't agree to that.

I'll add that I really hope the Bruins take advantage of those sweetheart deals from Bergeron and Marchand at some point. What's the point of them taking discounts if we're never going to spend to the cap?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They are correct in my view

Johansson was right there with Palmieri as far as acquisitions when the Devils got him

His problem is the same that effected Patrice Bergeron his first year back from concussion 64GP/8 goals a shell of self, and most recently the playoff Nash.

The guy suffered a serious concussion

I posted 3 months ago Johansson looked like crap and not the same guy since Marchand hit.

It often takes a year and the 13 games prior to deal he has 12 points split evenly between goals and assists with a whopping 5 at even strength

He’s been out of sight out of mind

He was very good for years as the defensive conscious of a second line with Backstom in Washington

Big big props for whoever in Boston scouting noticed this and recommended it

When healthy he’s a very good 3 zone player - always has - on a second or third line

His hockey IQ is very high

Boston’s Pro Scouting continues to have a Renaissance since the reconstruction last Spring- apparently Sweeney agreed with us and his change are paying him and the Bruins high returns

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I would pay him whatever it takes. He's a top5 player. Nobody regrets paying superstars big money, it's always the mid range guys that kill you. That said, I don't think state taxes factored in. Rumor was he had the same deal worked out with Ottawa but wanted a large percent via bonuses and Ottawa wouldn't/couldn't agree to that.

I'll add that I really hope the Bruins take advantage of those sweetheart deals from Bergeron and Marchand at some point. What's the point of them taking discounts if we're never going to spend to the cap?
Top 5 player in the NHL?? I disagree.

I’m always leary of guys being the big fish in the small pond. Ottawa sucked. Let’s see how Stone does in Vegas before we call him top 5.

I didn’t hear those rumors. The rumor I read was he turned down a 10m per year long term deal from Ottawa. IMO it’s not debatable, we now know what he’s making in Vegas, we know what the equivalent would be here in Boston. I would not pay him that, no chance. Stone is a great player, but not double Bergeron great. 12.5m onnoke player would affect the roster in negative ways.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
They don't need the retained money to pay Chara's bonuses.

I care about the 4th next year. Danton Heinen was a 4th round pick.

I'm glad they improved, even if it was less than what Sweeney wanted... Hopefully it won't end up being less than what they needed. Time will tell. :crossfing
I hope this doesn't keep you up at night?
I'm starting to worry about you

Reactions: TCB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad