Management Don Sweeney after Trade Deadline “I haven’t really given much thought to the Patrice Factor….” - 3/21/22

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak 2019
Marchand Bergeron DeBrusk 2022
Advantage 2019

DeBrusk Krejci Kuhlman 2019
Hall Haula Pastrnak 2022
Advantage 2022

Heinen Coyle Johansson 2019
Frederic Coyle Smith 2022
Even

Kuraly Accari Wagner 2019
Foligno Nosek Lazar 2022
Even

Chara McAvoy 2019
Lindholm McAvoy 2022
Advantage 2022

Krug Carlo 2019
Grzelcyk Carlo 2022
Advantage 2019

Grzelcyk Clifton 2019
Forbort Clifton 2022
Even

Rask 2019
Swayman 2022
Advantage 2019

Good comparisons. Only one I disagree with is giving Lindholm McAvoy the edge over Chara McAvoy. I'd call them even. McAvoy is better now, but Zee to me counterbalances that - he was past his best in 2019 but still a force, and playoff hockey suited him. He went an outstanding +11 in the 2019 postseason when even Chucky was only +4. Lindholm is very good but remains to be seen how that translates to the playoffs. That's not a criticism - I'm sure he'll do just fine and he and McAvoy really should be a great pair, but to me what the Bs had in 2019 was every bit as good.

But yeah otherwise, very interesting to look at things this way.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Lysell is in the McAvoy/Pasta/Swayman category - just a matter of when not if. He’s not Zach Hamill or JFK.
You know this for sure? How? Would you turn down some sort of Jake plus for garland deal because you have Lysell in 2-3 years?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Bruins college FA signings exceed every team in the NHL by 500 and Donny Hockey was the guy who watched and followed up.
I wasn’t eating Thanksgiving with the Krug’s but back in the day I knew him enough to have him on my cell phone and he would set my wife up with autographed sticks and photos etc for her school auction. The day he signed was the day I met the head shaven Krug after his NCAA season ended - the Bruins brought him in.

Krug was undrafted but Don Sweeney was always at his games and pushed the Bruins to draft him- they didn’t but he kept showing up and developed a relationship that was pivotal when he signed. Even when his hometown Red Wings came swooping in to sign him.

The first time I met his father he was wearing a Detroit Tigers jacket and I told him that won’t go over here - he laughed and since baseball was my number one sport we could get down to talking Al Kaline, Kirk Gibson, Jack Morris, and Dan Petry - Gibson son I learned was in the ECHL and Petry son is Jeff

But it was Sweeney who watched and recruited these guys

Sorry folks your little poll is cute but Is right up there with Fernwood Tonight for comical

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Sweeney has handed out some hefty contracts for "Veteran presense" (to put it very nicely) throught his tenure. Where he has succeeded over his past GMs is that he
1. Not afraid to send them to providence. No more the days where players are playing on the roster just because of a contract.
2. Ability to get rid of them instead of being stubborn and icing them

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
The majority of hockey gurus think that the Sweeney trade and signing of Lindholm will not win the Bruins a Cup and that the trade was too costly for the future of the Bruins in years to come, too much youth given up. Future Sweeney off season trades, DeBrusk, Reilly over Clifton or both and Foligno to gain cap money.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Good comparisons. Only one I disagree with is giving Lindholm McAvoy the edge over Chara McAvoy. I'd call them even. McAvoy is better now, but Zee to me counterbalances that - he was past his best in 2019 but still a force, and playoff hockey suited him. He went an outstanding +11 in the 2019 postseason when even Chucky was only +4. Lindholm is very good but remains to be seen how that translates to the playoffs. That's not a criticism - I'm sure he'll do just fine and he and McAvoy really should be a great pair, but to me what the Bs had in 2019 was every bit as good.

The 2019 4th line was better than this group. Ill take Nordstrom
Kuraly and Acciari everyday over this 4th line. Even Nordstrom
Kuraly and Wagner I take. Foligno and Nosek bring less to the table
than all but Wagner. Lazar would slot over Wagner for sure and
its close between he and Acciari but I really like Lazar.

The Rask vs Swayman comparison is the one that is the toughest to
analyze given the thin resume Swayman has. Boston wouldn't use
him over a basically crippled Rask last year so that alone
puts 2019 Rask well above Swayman. 2019 Rask came one
win away (looking at you Perfection Line) from The Conn Smythe
so until Swayman wins at least 2 Rounds that is a huge
advantage on paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aussie Bruin

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
You know this for sure? How? Would you turn down some sort of Jake plus for garland deal because you have Lysell in 2-3 years?
That's a classic HF take. Lysell hasn't played a game in the
AHL, never mind NHL. Add to the fact you can't say he's dominated
The WHL. People should be happy if he is added to the PO roster
at seasons end.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Between that and Chiarot getting taken by FLA that's at least two times this deadline Sweeney was saved from making bad moves by other teams.
You do not know if Sweeney would have done that its hearsay .And I say this with respect to insiders we have around here .

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

if McAvoy had come along in 2011, I’d agree with you. But there’s no way in hell 2019 Chara/McAvoy beats Lindholm/McAvoy currently.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
if McAvoy had come along in 2011, I’d agree with you. But there’s no way in hell 2019 Chara/McAvoy beats Lindholm/McAvoy currently.
Interesting thing is both Chara and McAvoy missed one game each
in the 2019 run and Boston won both games. They beat
Columbus G1 with no #73 and closed out Carolina with no #33.

I agree that 73/27 will be over all better than 73/33.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Tuukka was a Vezina Finalist and would have won the Conn Smythe had we won Game 7. Swayman is good, and has a very bright future, but there's really no comparison here.

Until Swayman shows he can manage the grind of being the #1 for a 20-25 game playoff run, there's still a question mark there.
Not saying Swayman will be better... but there have been numerous times in the NHL where a younger unproven goalie makes a name for himself being the guy that can do that when no one expects them to. Hell, Cam Ward made a career out of one run and was rather mediocre the rest of it.

Tim Thomas wasn't young and did the same.

Not blaming Rask at all for any of the losses, just pointing out, we expected Rask to be good. And he was. Just as a team didn't put it all together when we needed to.

Could Swayman do it? Potential is there, imo. Although a lot of things need to go right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad