Management Don Sweeney after Trade Deadline “I haven’t really given much thought to the Patrice Factor….” - 3/21/22

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Honestly, as much as everyone loved Cam the player, he's had zero credentials to be making any sort of business decisions. If he was a figure head as President, great, but it seems even he and Sweeney have butted heads over the years and it's lead to this compromised version of either man's vision.
Agree, Neely was one of my all-time fav players, but he should be in some sort of role that does not make decisions on trades/FA/Drafting

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Ok, different take/question here.

The reality is that in a 32 team league, half of the clubs miss the playoffs.

This is pure speculation, but could there be a mandate from above to make every effort to keep the team competitive and in the playoffs year after year?

Meaning, don’t overextend to try and win a Cup in the short term if it means the risk of bottoming out and becoming the Blackhawks 2-3 seasons from now.

If they don’t rebuild the offense that’s where they’ll be.

Just look at the age of Bergeron, Marchand and Hall and then what’s in the prospect pool

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
I've been thinking about our center issue for at least five years. This team has not developed a good center since Bergeron and Krejci. That means they haven't drafted a genuinely good impact center since 2004.* You go through the list and Sobotka might be the only center you feel good about. But it's not like he ever had top 6 potential. It's a f***ing disaster.

*They played Seguin at wing and never developed him at center.
I heard there was a few good centers still available in 2015.

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
My guess....Bergeron and Krejci are with the Bruins come Fall 2022. :)
As nice as that sounds (albeit unlikely), I would worry it would encourage Sweeney to just punt solving his center problem another year.

This team seems 1-2 years from needing a serious retool, and he has few assets to make that happen because he’s been using his futures to make half-step improvements and to pay other teams to take the shitty UFAs he’s been overpaying every summer.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
That would be fantastic. One last hard run. This defence with those two and centre.
I mean we've been doing our "last run" every season since 2019.

Another "last run" probably means even less at this point.

Bruins put together a better string of games in 2019 SCF, we likely aren't looking at these lackluster attempts the past 2 seasons and what could very likely happen this season.

If that's Sweeney's answer for figuring out the long term C solution is to plug in a 36 and 37 year old C both on the downswing of their careers, then I really don't know what to say.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
As nice as that sounds (albeit unlikely), I would worry it would encourage Sweeney to just punt solving his center problem another year.

This team seems 1-2 years from needing a serious retool, and he has few assets to make that happen because he’s been using his futures to make half-step improvements and to pay other teams to take the shitty UFAs he’s been overpaying every summer.

This absolutely cannot happen.

The fact that they let the possibility of Krejci linger even to midway this season is absurd. Take a hold of the reigns and solve the problem. Stop putting super glue on it. It's not gonna be whole again.

Using Krejci here is sad for both the team and the legacy of Krejci.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
My question to anyone making a big deal out of this: have you not been listening to this guy for past seven years? He rarely says anything of real substance in these things. He is a master of corporate-political speech who always maintains plausible deniability. Listen to him for ten minutes and see if he tells you anything meaningul or something you didn't already know or couldn't figure out for yourself. The guy doesn't give much away and I know some of our insiders here have commented on how tight-lipped the org is about most everything.
I tried listening to him, I really did but I can't listen to bullshit, doubletalk, lack of accountability, and NO plan for Bergerons spot, same as no plan for DK. He's plugging holes. As others have said, other GMs (Tampa, Florida and
Dollar Bill Guerin) Got their men. Sweeney, needed 4 upgrades and got 1.5. We'll see what happens in the playoffs
but I'm not liking this corporate bullshit doubletalk mentality. If you're a STH though, you can look in the mirror and think about JJ and his empire.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I tried listening to him, I really did but I can't listen to bullshit, doubletalk, lack of accountability, and NO plan for Bergerons spot, same as no plan for DK. He's plugging holes. As others have said, other GMs (Tampa, Florida and
Dollar Bill Guerin) Got their men. Sweeney, needed 4 upgrades and got 1.5. We'll see what happens in the playoffs
but I'm not liking this corporate bullshit doubletalk mentality. If you're a STH though, you can look in the mirror and think about JJ and his empire.

You're right it is bullshit and doubletalk, which is why you shouldn't read anything into it. He never says anything worth listening to unless you are a reporter looking for a quote or a soundbite. No plan? Maybe, maybe not, but you'll never know it from listening to one of his pressers.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I’m only speaking to his comment about Bergeron.

He is respecting Bergeron’s wish to wait until the end of the season to discuss a new contract. He has to be out of sight out of mind until then.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
My question to anyone making a big deal out of this: have you not been listening to this guy for past seven years? He rarely says anything of real substance in these things. He is a master of corporate-political speech who always maintains plausible deniability. Listen to him for ten minutes and see if he tells you anything meaningul or something you didn't already know or couldn't figure out for yourself. The guy doesn't give much away and I know some of our insiders here have commented on how tight-lipped the org is about most everything.

100%. This is why as I've said before I've stopped listening to his pressers. He literally says nothing, every time, and that doesn't appear to have changed since I stopped watching them. Which doesn't translate into 'he has nothing to say because he has no idea what's going on', rather it's just as you said - he chooses not to tell the media anything.

Here's the thing I wonder with that - Sweeney not wishing to give much away to the press is all well and good, but what about the fans, who in the end are the actual audience? This is where I need some local guidance. In Australia's major sports, there's still a sense in which the paying members of a team 'own' the club and have a right to know what management are doing, what their plans are and the rationale behind particular decisions and courses of action. In reality there's still a lot than is hidden from the fans, but there is at least some sense in which team managers are accountable to the supporters. But is it the same in America? Does Sweeney have any sort of obligation to keep the fans and STHs informed on what's going on inside the Bruins, or does he have every right to run a closed shop and keep them largely in the dark?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don’t dont know why every time he speaks, people lose their mind. Do people want an essay on his plans? Wtf! No GM spills their beans man. Don’t believe everything you hear or read. You guys really think he’s not thinking about Bergeron or has a n agreement in place to get a decision? Gullible people.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
100%. This is why as I've said before I've stopped listening to his pressers. He literally says nothing, every time, and that doesn't appear to have changed since I stopped watching them. Which doesn't translate into 'he has nothing to say because he has no idea what's going on', rather it's just as you said - he chooses not to tell the media anything.

Here's the thing I wonder with that - Sweeney not wishing to give much away to the press is all well and good, but what about the fans, who in the end are the actual audience? This is where I need some local guidance. In Australia's major sports, there's still a sense in which the paying members of a team 'own' the club and have a right to know what management are doing, what their plans are and the rationale behind particular decisions and courses of action. In reality there's still a lot than is hidden from the fans, but there is at least some sense in which team managers are accountable to the supporters. But is it the same in America? Does Sweeney have any sort of obligation to keep the fans and STHs informed on what's going on inside the Bruins, or does he have every right to run a closed shop and keep them largely in the dark?

No, not the same. I know what you are talking about, and it's the English footie club model where the supporters often have a voice and a stake in the club. Pro teams here generally do not operate like that. I am sure there are exceptions, but the Sweeney way seems to me to be the most common. Give bland statements, take a few softball questions from gathered media, and consider it a job done. It's much more the corporate PR model.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I don’t dont know why every time he speaks, people lose their mind. Do people want an essay on his plans? Wtf! No GM spills their beans man. Don’t believe everything you hear or read. You guys really think he’s not thinking about Bergeron or has a n agreement in place to get a decision? Gullible people.
He had no plan when Krejci left (and the writing was on the wall). The Bruins front office seemed to be the only ones surprised by it. Caught with their pants down around their ankles, or were they so distrusting of Davids words that they thought "he'll be back." FFS, they waited until TDL day to announce that he isn't coming back this year. Never mind the fact that they'd have to pull some shenanigans that they don't seem particularly adept at to get him through waivers if he did.
Regarding not just Bergeron but the center position in general he has shown no plan. Nobody asked him anything personal or professional about Bergeron's plans (that I heard) but some want to make it a rallying point that he's protecting him. Sure, whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad