Don Cherry's Comments on Wearing The Remembrance Day Poppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I perceived his point as: “that you or your parents, or grandparents were even able to come here is because this country is still standing, because of sacrifices these men made that not only affected their own country, but the course of the world.”

Just one war for example: imagine if the “Axis” won WW2, the destruction and death of that war... you think if Germany, Japan had emerged dominant you could just up and leave your desperation in your country of origin and move to a more developed region, controlled with institutionalized brutality, racism, xenophobia etc and have a better life? Or that they wouldn’t have eventually come to you?

I think Cherry (just from this quote, with no greater context) was too frustrated about wanting to honor soldiers **and in so sending a message to current and future soldiers that their sacrifice matters. Again, piss poor delivery because people automatically shut down at “you people”,

***But *in welcoming new immigrants to your country, the idea is that they’re now a part of your country, and that the Poppy is an important symbol of national unity and sacrifice, I can see somebody, especially of an older generation, perceiving someone not simply buying a poppy as being ungrateful.

Like, “oh, you’ll benefit from current and future soldiers deaths too, but how much do you really care about them.” Perceiving them as wanting to benefit from the community, but not trying to thank them for allowing in. Right or wrong, I can see how somebody might come to that conclusion

Last edited:

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Sportsnet can apologize, but it feels pretty hollow, because this is very on-brand for Don Cherry. The people who like Don and watch HNIC will likely agree with the statement. In the end, the real victim of this whole thing is really the poppy. Give it 10 years and the poppy will likely be just another political symbol, like what happened to the "Support our troops!" sentiment in the US. And it'll be purely because people like Cherry couldn't keep their dumb opinions out of what is fundamentally a charity campaign.

It's too bad. I like the poppy, but at this point, I think I'd prefer to give directly to the legion rather than wear it.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
At least where I'm from in the Lower Mainland, I haven't really noticed any particular group of people wearing the poppy more than any other. Cadet corps that I see at Remembrance Day ceremonies actually seem full of South Asian and East Asian youth.

11224560_917663941627050_5671388372433960599_o.jpg

web1_170503-SNW-M-Vimy-Commemoration-Cloverdale-BC-9-Apr-2017-No-_-207-1-.jpg

cadets.jpg

There may be a need in some cases to inform recent immigrants about the importance of Remembrance Day. The way to do that though is not to create an "us and them" framework like Don Cherry did in his comments. Why would an immigrant want to join in memory of soldiers of a country that treats them like outsiders? Instead we need to show immigrants that "they" are a part of "us".

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/refugee-remembrance-day-1.3847371

Remembrance Day helped one Sri Lankan immigrant develop his Canadian identity
Social Sharing

• Amara McLaughlin · CBC News · Posted: Nov 11, 2016 4:33 PM ET | Last Updated: November 12, 2016
vathanan-jegatheesan.JPG

Vathanan Jegatheesan commemorated Remembrance Day this year by wearing the poppy close to his heart and participating in a moment of silence to remember the 117,000 Canadians who gave up their lives for their country. (Courtesy of Vathanan Jegatheesan)
Vathanan Jegatheesan was in the third grade when he first felt a sense of connection to Remembrance Day.
The 30-year-old immigrated to Canada in 1990 as a refugee from Jaffna province in Sri Lanka. His family was fleeing the country's civil war.
"I remember every November, more specifically around Remembrance Day, the teachers used to assign us the task of creating poppies with construction paper... and we used to cut it out and stick it around the walls," said Jegatheesan, whose family first settled in Toronto's Flemingdon Park neighbourhood when he was 4.
"They had the poem In Flanders Fields in a poster all over the school. I remember reading it, I remember seeing commercials on TV that explained the In Flanders Fields poem, but I didn't understand the significance of the poem and the symbolism behind what the poem was talking about until we had members of the Canadian Armed Forces come to our school to give the presentation about the importance of Remembrance Day."
Remembrance Day's Canadian identity

travel-trip-wwi-flanders-fields.jpg

Vathanan Jegatheesan says Lt.-Col. John McCrae's poem 'In Flanders Fields' recited during Remembrance Day helped him develop a deeper understanding of his Canadian identity. ( Associated Press)
Flemingdon Park is a community made up of over 70 per cent new immigrants. Jegatheesan recalled on Remembrance Day 22 years ago, Grenoble Public School asked members of the Canadian Armed Forces to join their assembly at 11 a.m.
He told CBC News: "Everyone in that room was a new immigrant like myself." Despite that, "the soldier said that every person in that room is just as much Canadian as he is."
"It was was at that moment that I remember my first Canadian identity sparking in my young mind," he said. "I never felt like an outsider but it was at that moment when the soldier said that, that I felt a sense of pride, a sense of inclusion."
Since then, Jegatheesan says Remembrance Day "holds a special place in my heart."
"It reminds me of the freedom and the privilege that I have, that I necessarily didn't have where I came from, where a lot of people left in seek of refuge, and Canada accepted us with open arms."

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The point is that there's plenty of people born here that don't respect Remembrance Day too. Why single out immigrants

There are also many ways to respect Rememberance Day.
Wearing the Poppy isn't the only one. Attending parades. Giving time and money to Charities who are helping Veterans in some way. The possibilities are endless.

.. not to mention, the thing is getting really politicized.

Reactions: AzHawk

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As I posted in my response

Men and Women join the military to prevent oppression. restriction of person rights and people having freedom --I have seen Cherry's rant--not this is not first time he has done it. He is forcing his views and beliefs on people who may have come from war torn countries where they had no freedom and were under constant oppression from the governments and could not express themselves.

Cherry COULD have used his platform to explain to them why WE wear the poppy

Last edited by a moderator:

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I feel it's obvious he could have made his point without singling out a group of people and implying their putative action was worse than when non-group people did it. At the bare minimum no need to make it xenophobic.
But there are many people coming to Canada that don't integrate into Canadian culture. He made the point because it's the truth. He has a right to be frustrated and express his opinion without having his life ruined for it.

Imagine everything you've known and loved about your nation changing. Don Cherry is a VERY patriotic guy, and when he experiences this change, he's going to be frustrated, at the very least. He didn't say anything millions of other Canadians aren't thinking.

Reactions: theblackadder

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I’ll speak for myself. I look at what these people sacrificed, what they gave up, and I look at my life. Why did these people sacrifice their lives? For what? The least I can do is say thank you. I say thank you by wearing a poppy.

Wearing a poppy is less important than giving money to the veterans. I gave money and didn't pick up a poppy.

I bet you there are people who are wearing a poppy and didn't give a dime.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
His comments are his, he's free to make them. Just not sure a hockey broadcast is the place for them. Still Cherry's always made these types of comments. Hasn't been fired for them before, doubt he gets fired now.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
So I watched the video... and it didn’t seem that bad if at all?

Idk, I’m a second gen immigrant on both sides and I didn’t find anything really offensive. I thought he had gone really off the rails this time from what people were saying, but he’s just asking for people who come to this country to appreciate the sacrifice of those who allowed it to be and such by buying a poppy.

Seems like a huge uproar for nothing tbh.
The thing is he was targeting immigrants in particular. A LOT of people don't wear poppies, including white Canadians. He should have called out everybody.

Reactions: AzHawk and Snakepit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma