Don Cherry's Comments on Wearing The Remembrance Day Poppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There was a way to avoid this mess, and it was to keep Cherry off the screen. Everyone and their mother knew Cherry would say something like this at some point.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
He’s an idiot for his delivery, but if all he said was in that tweet in the other thread, then people calling for him to get fired are overreacting.

Unless there’s other, worse examples I’m not aware of that could justify an assumption? Just this quote alone doesn’t seem bad at all except for “you people” which is more unfortunate than anything... obviously he’s made clear he’s referring to specific people, so

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
It's a shame that I'll have to go in to the office on Tuesday and tell all the immigrants I work with that they should be ashamed of themselves for not supporting the Canadian Troops. It will be a really weird conversation, considering that we're a bunch of Air Force guys, but that's how it goes I guess...

Unbelievable how far off the mark Cherry is on this one. Well, not unbelievable, it's par for the course with him, but he's utterly wrong. Canadians of all backgrounds and walks of life have varied and different feelings about Remembrance. I see Canadians of every age, colour, and gender wearing poppies or not wearing poppies. It has nothing to do with where they're from or why they're here. If Don wanted to chew out Canadians as a whole, maybe he'd have a case, but it was just a big racist rant.

As an aside, I particularly hate how he's telling people that they need to buy poppies. It's nice to wear the symbol, but nobody should feel that they need to donate money to the Legion.
This... so much this.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
if he didn't say "you come here" you could brush it off as if he is talking to all viewers but he is actually talking about immigrants

Cherry is obviously a very devout Christian bigot

Ever heard of free speech? You aren't the only one who has that right. There are many who think everyone in Canada should respect fallen soldiers and show their respect on one day a year by wearing a poppy. They are not attacking anyone. The only one being attacked is Cherry.

Free speech is the right to say something and not be arrested, just wanted to be clear

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Cherry is right in trying to get people to support the troops. He is wrong for implying certain people don't do so, would love for the clown to be off my TV.

I dont think anyone would disagree with him telling people to go out and get a poppy. But when you target a certain demographic and tell them they are the problem when there are people of all backgrounds not wearing poppies it's a problem. This guy should not have a platform anymore.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I dont think anyone would disagree with him telling people to go out and get a poppy. But when you target a certain demographic and tell them they are the problem when there are people of all backgrounds not wearing poppies it's a problem. This guy should not have a platform anymore.
I disagree with anyone saying people should go out and buy a poppy.
Giving the legion money for a poppy does nothing to show your support for anything but the legion. You want to support veterans... donate to veteran causes.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
So I watched the video... and it didn’t seem that bad if at all?

Idk, I’m a second gen immigrant on both sides and I didn’t find anything really offensive. I thought he had gone really off the rails this time from what people were saying, but he’s just asking for people who come to this country to appreciate the sacrifice of those who allowed it to be and such by buying a poppy.

Seems like a huge uproar for nothing tbh.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I disagree with anyone saying people should go out and buy a poppy.
Giving the legion money for a poppy does nothing to show your support for anything but the legion.

You can make one if you want it really doesnt matter. And I have no issue with people telling people to support rememberence day. I also have no problem with people not wearing puppies. It's part of that freedom thing people fought and died for. You have a choice and the right to talk about that choice and people should respect that.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
You can make one if you want it really doesnt matter. And I have no issue with people telling people to support rememberence day. I also have no problem with people not wearing puppies. It's part of that freedom thing people fought and died for. You have a choice and the right to talk about that choice and people should respect that.
Lol... I really want to wear a puppy.... is that wrong of me? Lol

I agree it’s a choice and that people have the right to voice an opinion, unless your opinion is singling out a specific group, race, sexuality, or religion.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Just reflecting the feeling of some old angry Canadians living in Canada for many years
Just his opinions and not thing more than that and Cherry doesn’t represent all Canadians

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Theres nothing wrong with his point, the issue is he's basically calling out and bundling every immigrant together just because certain ones don't buy poppies. My parents are immigrants and buy poppies every year, and im sure they aren't the only ones.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Theres nothing wrong with his point, the issue is he's basically calling out and bundling every immigrant together just because certain ones don't buy poppies. My parents are immigrants and buy poppies every year, and im sure they aren't the only ones.

Exactly. And lots of people that were born here don't.

The message that more people need to respect Rememberance Day more is a good one. It's singling out immigrants that's wrong.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Dinosaur gonna dinosaur. It's his typical jingo-esque shtick. The idea that some will believe he actually spoke to someone (as he claims in his "story") is sad. What's also sad is Ron just sitting there. 25 years ago he held Don to task and didn't let him make baseless comments. For more than 10 years he's been nothing but a mic stand.

One doesn't need to wear a poppy to support vets and current members of the military. Refusing one doesn't mean you don't. Living a life of absolutes is ridiculous.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Exactly. And lots of people that were born here don't.

The message that more people need to respect Rememberance Day more is a good one. It's singling out immigrants that's wrong.

It's what people like him do. He probably saw an immigrant not wearing a poppy on his way into the studio so he decided that was the hill he was going to make his stand on.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
You have the right to your opinion even if it's the wrong one.

Considering the accusations are always made without a shred of evidence it would appear that in this case I have my opinion and am right as well.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
as the last thread got closed I was posting a long response

here is a coles notes version of things

1) While I never served--I have family members in the Canadian, US and GB Armed Forces
2) They all joined for the same reason-- Allowing PERSONAL freedom and to stop people from being oppressed
3) This was the first time in nearly 40+ years I have not worn a poppy--I did this out of protest for those like Cherry who laid guilt trip on those who did not previously. I did donate to the cause--I just did not ware a poppy--I talked to SERVING personal and the understood why
4) I show respect to ANY Armed Forces personal 365 days a year--not just on November 11th
5) Forcing people to do something is the most UNCANADIAN THING YOU CAN DO.
6) The problem lies with the fact that people are getting the political views mixed into the situation--I am a left winger and I respect anyone who joins the military for the RIGHT REASONS. My problem lies with what the politicians do with the Military in modern times

just my view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad