Don Cherry's Comments on Wearing The Remembrance Day Poppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Mod note:
So everyone kinda went crazy in the last thread which was not surprising. Good news you all got your free shots in (except the various flaming which I'll be going through later).

Here's a new thread with a few of the recent posts copied and here's how it's gonna work.

1. You can talk about Don's Comments.
2. You can talk about the reaction to the comments.
3. You can think he's racist, a patriot, whatever. If you FLAME the posters who have the opposite opinion as you, I'm probably going to give you an NHL talk vacation.
4. If you can't handle discussing the comments without launching into broader issues, this type of thread won't be attempted in the future.

The rules say:
Political discussion is not permitted on the forums except within the narrowly defined scope of hockey-related matters.

I'd like to let you go, but inevitably what happens is someone starts spouting off about Trump, Trudeau, SJWs, Snowflakes, or what have you. So don't drop these stupid political hot button buzzphrases, don't flame other posters, and we'll be able to keep the topic open.

Last edited by a moderator:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Do I think the way Cherry went about doing it was right? Nope. On a National broadcast of which he is employed by was not the right way to voice his own personal opinion on the matter. If he wanted to voice his personal opinion on the matter he should of voiced it on his own social platform like twitter or even an opinion article in a paper.

Personally I wear the poppy for respect as I know vets from the Afghan conflict and have a lot of military history in my family. It doesn't bother me if I see other people not wearing a poppy as it is a personal choice to do so imo.

it is very interesting to read the extreme views from both sides regarding his comments though.

Reactions: stlwahoo and AzHawk

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Wow. There's actually people that think wearing the poppy in Canada is a pro war statement?

Unreal.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
“Those who don’t want to watch immigrants attacked and have their loyalty questioned by a regular weekly paid commentator just shouldn’t watch HNIC.”
Ever heard of free speech? You aren't the only one who has that right. There are many who think everyone in Canada should respect fallen soldiers and show their respect on one day a year by wearing a poppy. They are not attacking anyone. The only one being attacked is Cherry.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I was watching it live and didn't read much into it, if anything came out thinking it was an inspiring message to get more people in Toronto to donate and wear a poppy.

Then I went to bed and woke up to national news accusing him of racism, anti immigration, and xenophobia. Whoooaaa??

I'm a proud immigrant from India and I support what Don Cherry said.

People are too sensitive these days and it's really freaking me out.
If he wanted to just talk about the poppies, he would have done that.

He knew exactly what he was saying.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So everyone kinda went crazy in the last thread which was not surprising. Good news you all got your free shots in (except the various flaming which I'll be going through later).

Here's a new thread with a few of the recent posts copied and here's how it's gonna work.

1. You can talk about Don's Comments.
2. You can talk about the reaction to the comments.
3. You can think he's racist, a patriot, whatever. If you FLAME the posters who have the opposite opinion as you, I'm probably going to give you an NHL talk vacation.
4. If you can't handle discussing the comments without launching into broader issues, this type of thread won't be attempted in the future.

The rules say:
Political discussion is not permitted on the forums except within the narrowly defined scope of hockey-related matters.

I'd like to let you go, but inevitably what happens is someone starts spouting off about Trump, Trudeau, SJWs, Snowflakes, or what have you. So don't drop these stupid political hot button buzzphrases, don't flame other posters, and we'll be able to keep the topic open.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Sportsnet will apologize but keep him on the air because Don Cherry is HNIC

And Canada loves HNIC

And Rogers needs Canadians to keep loving HNIC

Last edited:
Reactions: stlwahoo

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Hockey as a whole will be one of the last place racists will hide. The "Old Boys Club" combined with the economic cost of entry means we will be weeding out these horrible people for a long time. If you dont know who Don is talking about when he says "You people" then either educate yourself or keep your nasty opinions to yourself.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
It's a shame that I'll have to go in to the office on Tuesday and tell all the immigrants I work with that they should be ashamed of themselves for not supporting the Canadian Troops. It will be a really weird conversation, considering that we're a bunch of Air Force guys, but that's how it goes I guess...

Unbelievable how far off the mark Cherry is on this one. Well, not unbelievable, it's par for the course with him, but he's utterly wrong. Canadians of all backgrounds and walks of life have varied and different feelings about Remembrance. I see Canadians of every age, colour, and gender wearing poppies or not wearing poppies. It has nothing to do with where they're from or why they're here. If Don wanted to chew out Canadians as a whole, maybe he'd have a case, but it was just a big racist rant.

As an aside, I particularly hate how he's telling people that they need to buy poppies. It's nice to wear the symbol, but nobody should feel that they need to donate money to the Legion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad