Speculation: Don Cherry spot on again: Orr or McLaren should have been there right from the start

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
lol Leafs would've been tanking right from the get go if they had those huge ass scrubs on the team.
Of course, you got it right. But in a different manner than with our current losers who lost everything and let every team walk all over us.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I think they should have brought them up when it was apparent that the team was spineless. They wouldn't have made the team better but maybe at least then they would have had some balls. It's one thing if you suck but it's another thing to not have any guts and let everyone else walk all over you. I still get a little ticked off watching that Staal empty-netter.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I think they should have brought them up when it was apparent that the team was spineless. They wouldn't have made the team better but maybe at least then they would have had some balls. It's one thing if you suck but it's another thing to not have any guts and let everyone else walk all over you. I still get a little ticked off watching that Staal empty-netter.

Exactly. And who did anything about it? Who said anything? No one. They all stood there and took like a bunch of *****es. Do you think Orr or McLaren let that happen? They might not jump on Staal, but they'll find another way to send the message. It's ridiculous how people don't understand what a tough guy like Orr does for a team with zero toughness in their top six.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Exactly. And who did anything about it? Who said anything? No one. They all stood there and took like a bunch of *****es. Do you think Orr or McLaren let that happen? They might not jump on Staal, but they'll find another way to send the message. It's ridiculous how people don't understand what a tough guy like Orr does for a team with zero toughness in their top six.

And you don't even have to react with violence. The point is to show that you give a ****. To have Staal do that, and then mouth off on top of it, and not do anything, shows that they don't have a modicum of pride in that instance. Say something back, get in his face, do something, don't just ignore it and skate off.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I haven't been following the Marlies too closely this year, but I can only assume they have been completely dominant. After all, Orr and Mclaren would've been such a great asset to the Leafs, so naturally they must have propelled the Marlies to the top of the standings.

Oh wait, it seems the two of them only combined for about 33 games with the Marlies. Strange that two guys who somehow would've made a huge difference in the NHL aren't even capable of being AHL regulars. Well, I think I'll just ignore that, and ignore all logic so I can agree with Don Cherry. He seems pretty on the ball, and not the least bit senile.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
And you don't even have to react with violence. The point is to show that you give a ****. To have Staal do that, and then mouth off on top of it, and not do anything, shows that they don't have a modicum of pride in that instance. Say something back, get in his face, do something, don't just ignore it and skate off.
That was ridiculous to watch. Havent seen that type of thing happen ever with my Maple Leafs watch during these years.... I also think that in these times we live now (instagram times where so many people live only for the money etc) human beings don't give a flying dirt about important things like respect and other human beings. But it's a shame watching these millionares play for my hockey organization and not give a dirt about the history of the game, the organization and its great memories and players. Didn't like how some of our players played the game this season. Haven't seen that before with the legendary Maple Leafs. We need so many new players who want to bring those great memories for fans again. Do something special on the ice. Doesn't matter if you win or lose, if its something special to remember and giving their best. Give about the team. We're getting old, so there's not that much time left.

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Don Cherry now on HIC. He said it right again. We should have had a guy like Orr or McLaren in from the get go. Get that respect, keep it. Even if we lose and we would have with this horrible team, we would have lost with honor, dignity and getting that respect. It would be tough to play against us when there was all these warriors out there like Orr.

So next season. Get some. Not Orr, but somebody else. Dubinsky, Clutterbuck, Parros, Domi, Tucker, Roberts, Matt Martin, Prust, Downie, Ott... some of these fools who play with all they have. Rinaldo.. etc. Some fools who hit hard and fight tough. Don Cherry knows hockey and its spirit like all real coaches do. We need many other players too, but play with men of honor.

He's yours for a 7th round pick.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
He's yours for a 7th round pick.
He really is a beautiful thing. I would love to have him with the leafs. Hits like 5 times a game during his 8min sting. Now that's, a beautiful thing. Takes stupid penalties though, but we have a solid pk again next season LOL.

We need people who do special things. Rinaldo is one of them. Taking that extra special juicy game misconduct every now and then in a key game and getting some jerky stuff injured during it it's a beautiful life thing homes.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Orr and McLaren aren't the answer to our character problem. I like Orr more than McLaren but the type of role they fill is being phased out quickly in the hockey world these days. Cherry needs to get his head out of you know where and see that. You need players who can put the puck in the net, who are strong and don't get pushed off the puck and our quick on their feet. Orr and McLaren fit none of that, sorry.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
If you want respect you have to earn with the way you play, not smash bodies into boards while you lose games 4-0.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
If you want respect you have to earn with the way you play, not smash bodies into boards while you lose games 4-0.

i lost respect for don cherry when he went off on nylander ,the kid might have been close to leading the AHL in scoring as 18 year old if he plays a full year .....ritchie is more like zack kassian ,nylander more like his dad but better skater ,its the same reason i dont want lawson crouse ,at the end of the day u need scoring chances,its the reason eichel and mcdavid are rated high ,i want strome hanifan or marner ,and don cherry should shut the f@@k up and go watch nylander ,he dont look small in the ahl and hed likely had 140 points i the ohl

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
I don't think Cherry is wrong, enforcers still have their place in the game, but its not the 4th line fighter only guys. When the Bruins play, and they get big hits, you dont see people going after them because you have to deal with Chara or Lucic or Kelly or any other big dude that is willing to pummel you. Same sort of situationw ith the Kings, and the Devils had Kovalchuk who would just straight kill you.

I think the enforcer still has a place in hockey, but its more about being the pest, the guy who's there to agitate and goad people into fights but still has enough hockey skill to get under peoples skin. Steve Ott, Brad Marchand, Clutterbuck, those are all prime examples (or were prime exmaples before they fell off a cliff production wise) essentially Darcy Tucker is the new Tie Domi is the way I'd want to phrase it.

He's not wrong, look at what happens everytime Phaneuf lays a gigantic hit on someone, whistle blows, big scrum, three guys trying to mug Phaneuf. Imagine that but with a guy like Franzen tearing you off of him, you'd be like "Oh **** a gigantic angry swede viking is about to beat my ass in ok I should chill" but the Leafs kind of have the problem where most of their "skill" guys just aren't very intimidating, there's no attitude. The debate for Leafs having attitude is another thing I guess.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I don't think Cherry is wrong, enforcers still have their place in the game, but its not the 4th line fighter only guys. When the Bruins play, and they get big hits, you dont see people going after them because you have to deal with Chara or Lucic or Kelly or any other big dude that is willing to pummel you. Same sort of situationw ith the Kings, and the Devils had Kovalchuk who would just straight kill you.

I think the enforcer still has a place in hockey, but its more about being the pest, the guy who's there to agitate and goad people into fights but still has enough hockey skill to get under peoples skin. Steve Ott, Brad Marchand, Clutterbuck, those are all prime examples (or were prime exmaples before they fell off a cliff production wise) essentially Darcy Tucker is the new Tie Domi is the way I'd want to phrase it.

He's not wrong, look at what happens everytime Phaneuf lays a gigantic hit on someone, whistle blows, big scrum, three guys trying to mug Phaneuf. Imagine that but with a guy like Franzen tearing you off of him, you'd be like "Oh **** a gigantic angry swede viking is about to beat my ass in ok I should chill" but the Leafs kind of have the problem where most of their "skill" guys just aren't very intimidating, there's no attitude. The debate for Leafs having attitude is another thing I guess.

You don't have to look intimidating to be feisty though. I'm sure that players around the league would respect a player who isn't physically imposing yet plays with edge and stands up for himself and his teammates.

The league is moving towards a more skill/tough combination rather than a pure enforcer role. But with that said, I'm not upset in the least about Orr and McLaren not getting called up. At the very least this has exposed the kind of character on the team...or lack thereof I should say. We've more than established that the team's core is fragile but we also know that this core is beyond weak physically. This season all of the band aids were ripped off and even the most optimistic of fans must face how incredibly bad this team is. It needs a major overhaul with its core (a core that's all locked into contracts). It's not going to be easy to undo that.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Sounds like what we did last season. With Orr and McLaren.
Orr or McLaren did not have big roles last season, like they did have two years ago. Two years ago they ruled the world with that iron fist. With Mike Brown, McLaren and Orr our 4th line was a beast. We were the playoff team number uno and we almost beat the boston bruins. We challenged them in 7 games.

Our last year team could never, ever do that. Not at all, we lost everything and did it in shameful soft manner. Our team was not brave, unlike many old leafs teams were.

There's a way to lose... Orr and Mclaren can lose with dignity and honor. They play tough game. Our current pansies cannot play the game with dying with their boots on. Last season would have been better with Mclaren or Orr in the lineup. Next season we WON'T need these two at all. We need others as we are trying to win games. This was exactly the season we could have played games with these two losers mclaren and orr, they make other teams pay tough price. Unlike our current softies mellow cats.

Dallas Eakins*

Don Cherry now on HIC. He said it right again. We should have had a guy like Orr or McLaren in from the get go. Get that respect, keep it. Even if we lose and we would have with this horrible team, we would have lost with honor, dignity and getting that respect. It would be tough to play against us when there was all these warriors out there like Orr.

So next season. Get some. Not Orr, but somebody else. Dubinsky, Clutterbuck, Parros, Domi, Tucker, Roberts, Matt Martin, Prust, Downie, Ott... some of these fools who play with all they have. Rinaldo.. etc. Some fools who hit hard and fight tough. Don Cherry knows hockey and its spirit like all real coaches do. We need many other players too, but play with men of honor.

:laugh: Nope. Also they were a joke team that was easy to play against last year too. Maybe if anyone with size in the lineup this year ie/JVR and Franson werent soft as butter they would get some respect. As it is its pretty clear everyone sees these guys as the joke they are.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Orr or McLaren did not have big roles last season, like they did have two years ago.
Yeah.... flagrantly making **** up about their roles doesn't really work when the NHL tracks time on ice, linemates, etc.

Last edited:

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
:laugh: Nope. Also they were a joke team that was easy to play against last year too. Maybe if anyone with size in the lineup this year ie/JVR and Franson werent soft as butter they would get some respect. As it is its pretty clear everyone sees these guys as the joke they are.
Read all of these posts. Not all people think of these playoff performers (leafs playoff performers) as jokes. McLaren and Orr are few of the only players who have played playoff games with the maple leafs during these past 11 years. LOL, 11 years is a lifetime. I know hockey and so does don cherry. We knew that the leafs should have played games with McLaren and Orr this season. We would have still lost every game, but these guys make others teams pay. That's identity and identity is the most important thing. Next season we won't need these two players, as we are trying to win games again. We will trade a lot of our losers, soft losers away and get some new warriors with us. Me and cherry know that shanahan wants that maple leafs identity back. That's what gets new fans and keeps us old hockey followers watching. Me and cherry know what to do and therefore we are winners. Even when we lose we win in away we make others pay the price. Nobody walks over us. Like they did walk over kessel, phaneuf and reimer and gardiner and bozak.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Someone should tell Tim Jackman and the Ducks that to find success in the new nhl, you don't need a guy like him. Imagine that, getting playoff minutes too.

Oh and look, Reaves is getting playoff ice time in St Louis.

Sort of funny isn't it? We Leaf fans and media trying to sound all authoritative on what works in "today's" NHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad