OT: Don Cherry Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The problem with Rogers is that they don't deal kindly with those who don't follow their dogmatic "values". Just ask Damian Goddard what a simple statement can do for one's employment there. Cherry offered an opinion, which Rogers said had nothing to do with sports and was "divisive". Neither did the opinion of Rogers, which is also divisive.

Reactions: Ill Woods

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'm going to miss Coach's corner, I remember watching from the time I was a little kid on Saturday Nights.

Reactions: Moreaupheus

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Don says "you people", at least pay some respect when you come over, and wear a poppy.
Fired.

another one wears blackface, and brown face, gets elected prime minister.

Canada....@ss backwards country.

Said the same thing and got an instant message from "troll stomper" :laugh:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
His comments were more about immigrants than soldiers. My issue with his comments is his ignorance.

His comments were “you people” who come to Canada and don’t wear a poppy. I don’t condone what he said but it’s clear the context is about respecting the fallen of the Canadian military.

Your turning into a flat earth conspiracy about the military industrial complex.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I was always a huge Cherry fan over the years but his act became increasingly tough to take. He should have sailed off into the sunset a decade ago.

Wonder if they replace him with Brian Burke.

He's truly out of touch and offers little, if anything. If Sportsnet hadn't hired him, he'd still be sleeping in a cardboard box on Stephens Avenue.

Reactions: Wretched Oil

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Don Cherry is old and harmless. His comments, while wrong, are as well.

Very disappointed this will end the career of an icon.

He was often wrong but when he was right he was bang on. Often cutting through the BS to just tell it as it is.

**** all this lame overtly PC bull****.
not sure on how correct he was on things, but you never got the idea he was holding anything back. And I would rather listen to somebody who is telling me what they think, rather then what is pc to convey.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Meh. I found him entertaining as kid, but then I grew up and began to understand the game better. The more that I got to know and love the game, the more I realized that he has been out of touch for decades.

I won't comment specifically on the remarks that got him fired or the 'justification' for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sportsnet has been waiting for a reason to make this happen.

Really curious who they go with next. If he were Canadian and unemployed, I would love Torts. :laugh:

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I was talking about Don. Someone else mentioned Alex Jones.

Mass migration is the result of mass occupation. If he can't include that in his rant, he should shut up.

Yeah it was me who mentioned him after you commented some mass conspiracy cockamamie shit that sounded like it came right from his jowels and sent this thread WAAAAYYYYY off the rails.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I mean we’ve known Cherry is xenophobic for awhile now.

He’s not wrong though, I attended a Remembrance Day ceremony this morning and then watched a bit of the ottawa one on tv and in both instances the crowds definitely lacked diversity.

It’s just not something that is important to many new Canadians.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I should mention that Cherry probably shouldn't have targeted one group. There are legal immigrants who, I imagine, do have respect for our veterans. But, there's other groups out there, who are Canadian born, who are increasingly having no respect for the military or veterans.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad