OT: Don Cherry Fired form HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
You're right that there's an extent to which people's views are the product--victims?--of their time, but Cherry was also an employee. If you're an 80-year-old bookkeeper, you either learned Excel, or you stopped being a bookkeeper. If you're an 80-year-old broadcaster, you learned not to be racist, or you stopped being a broadcaster.

Eventually.

The issue is that his ignorant generalization belied a prejudice against new Canadians. We know this because reasonable people know many new Canadians wear poppies and we know many purported GCBs don't. That he thinks it's a topic worth discussion betrays his ugly biases.

Not really, considering he was specifically was using Rememberance Day to sow discord between Canadians and new Canadians.

I think Burke has the social awareness not to stick his foot in his mouth over something like this. Might still try to fight Kevin Lowe, though.

May have been a factor, but it was right at the end so they may also have been over time and he was just trying as much as everything to get it over with.

You're right, though, that there was an opportunity for MacLean to help and he didn't.

That is a fair point and Cherry should not have mixed politics into his analyses. It’s also very unfortunate that the network re-upped his program instead of letting him retire with dignity. I don’t disagree with any of those.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Help me understand something.

If 8% of Group A wears a poppy and 17% of Group B wears a poppy, it’s always wrong to point our that less people from Group A wears a poppy?

Apparently, but why?
Do you have these statistics handy?

one other person

Tripping thru time and space
Feb 19, 2018
Sunny St. Somewhere
Bah. Whatever. It’s a four minute sideshow during the first intermission of HNIC. I remember when Cherry wasn’t there and now I get to see the post-Don broadcast. That, for me, was during the WHA times and when I could like the Habs (hate em now.) I refuse to see all of this as some sort of microcosm of or statement on Canada. Just bring on the hockey already

Reactions: The Blue Baron

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Unless you are full aboriginal and posting here you are an immigrant.

No. My wife and children were all born in this country and have lived here all their lives. They are NOT immigrants, irrespective of people expressing ignorant opinions to the contrary.

You're entitled to your own opinions and I will fight for your right to express them.

You're not entitled to your own facts.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
No. My wife and children were all born in this country and have lived here all their lives. They are NOT immigrants, irrespective of people expressing ignorant opinions to the contrary.

You're entitled to your own opinions and I will fight for your right to express them.

Even aboriginal people migrated from Asia/Eurasia. Just a bad take all around.

My 2 cents on Cherry. Disagree with him on hockey, on the military, but don’t think his position of assimilation is offensive. He didn’t say anything many Canadians wouldn’t say, including immigrants. Also, not racism at all.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

If 8% of Group A wears a poppy and 17% of Group B wears a poppy, it’s always wrong to point our that less people from Group A wears a poppy?

Apparently, but why?
Is it people that can not handle the truth or is it the fake news pushing their agenda?
I know last year there was a teenage girl murdered here and it was a refugee that did but the police had to spend hundreds of man hours (Largest Ever) to investigate 200 other suspects hoping it was not Trudeau's refugee or were they trying to bury the story.
I live here on the west coast lower mainland where less than 50% of the population is white and I have never heard anyone play the race card but I always hear being used in the media ... why?

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
In today's political and social climate it was just a matter of time he'd be canned. He should of stepped away from Coach's Corner years ago and stuck to making appearances at Junior games and military bases.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Apparently, but why?

It's not his place to compare the two, and it's certainly not his place to suggest either is doing a better job of anything than the other.

He was given some leeway over time to say things such as, 'groups A and B need to wear more poppies'.

But he took that rope, and hanged himself with it.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
No. My wife and children were all born in this country and have lived here all their lives. They are NOT immigrants, irrespective of people expressing ignorant opinions to the contrary

I did indeed misspeak on this.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If you want to discuss the subject go to the main boards to talk about it, this isn't a Jets subject. Don't open a new thread.

Reactions: one other person
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad