OT: Don Cherry Fired form HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Just one more reason to not watch Sportsnet or CBC Hockey Night In Canada.

giphy.gif

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
The guy was raised in a different era and should be viewed through such a lens. To require him to be PC, a far more recent phenomena, is insulting to the older generation. The younger generation should respect their elders, and accept that they were raised in a different world. Even a civil rights champion from a 100 years ago have said something that today would not be PC, and it should not tarnish their legacy.

Last edited:

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
The guy was raised in a different era and should be viewed through such a lens. To require him to be PC, a far more recent phenomena, is insulting to the older generation. The younger generation should respect their elders, and accept that they were raised in a different world. Even a civil rights champion from a 100 years ago have said something that today would not be PC, and it should not tarnish their legacy.
Let’s be real, plenty of Canadian-born people don’t wear poppies and plenty of immigrants do so yes, what he said was both wrong and clearly intended to be a shot at immigrants, specifically people of colour. Being old =\= automatically worthy of our collective respect.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
That's far from the worst thing he ever said so it's weird that's what got him canned.

If he had said "people that come to Canada to enjoy our way of life should appreciate the sacrifices that made that possible", no one would care. Add a "you" in front of that same sentence and suddenly it's derogatory? I saw more outrage on Twitter from the usage of "you people" than the actual point of the rant (singling out immigrants instead of all people not wearing poppies).

In any case, I won't miss political rants during hockey games. Keep the military away from sports.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Had he said it 100 years ago it probably wouldn’t have been much of a problem, but he said it in 2019 and should not be excused because he’s from a different generation. His views have no business being broadcast in today’s society and fortunately Rogers understands that. I’m also sure a number of people of Cherry’s generation disagree with him. Age is no excuse for ignorance.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
It makes me happy when I see a new immigrant wearing a poppy. It shows they respect Canada and are proud to adopt some of our culture.

Reactions: Guyantics

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Had he said it 100 years ago it probably wouldn’t have been much of a problem, but he said it in 2019 and should not be excused because he’s from a different generation. His views have no business being broadcast in today’s society and fortunately Rogers understands that. I’m also sure a number of people of Cherry’s generation disagree with him. Age is no excuse for ignorance.

When you are close to 80 a lot of the views you’ve been taught in your childhood will be obsolete. That doesn’t make you not a good old Canadian boy.

And that is exactly what “respect your elders” is about, to let them have the views they were raised with, even if they don’t reflect the current climate.

None

Feb 22, 2012

It sounds like they even gave him a chance to walk his comments back and explain it in a more appropriate way and he wouldn't. I get what his rant was about, but it was very obviously targeted and I think that was the biggest issue.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
When you are close to 80 a lot of the views you’ve been taught in your childhood will be obsolete. That doesn’t make you not a good old Canadian boy.

And that is exactly what “respect your elders” is about.
No, that is not what respecting your elders is about.
With age comes wisdom , you can decide to learn and adapt as times change or you can stay rooted in the past. Cherry decided the latter and he’s now rightfully taking his place on the sidelines. It’s where he’s chosen his place.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Being an ass is being an ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad