OT: Don Cherry Fired form HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
just saw a quote from him. paraphrasing it. he said he has no regrets on what he said and that everybody should wear a poppy on remembrance day. had he just said that he would not have been fired.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think what’s getting lost in all the furor and sides digging their heels in, is Cherry simply decided to call out a specific group of people for not wearing a poppy. By doing so he stereotyped an entire group and marginalized them. Whether intentional or not, his comments create divisiveness in an increasingly decisive world. Had he simply called out everyone for not wearing a poppy and mentioned why everyone should, it would have been more about the significance of doing so. Unfortunately he made it about immigrants and they just isn’t fair.
Racism has many forms, what he said isn’t systemic racism or even hateful racism. I don’t think Cherry hates immigrants or wishes them ill will. His comments are casual racism though. He used his platform, as a member of the majority, to generalize about the behaviour of the minority. It’s simply not fair and if I was a minority wearing a poppy or not, I would be rightly offended.
As it stands I’m not personally offended, because I have no right to be. I’m a white male, I don’t have the right to be offended, I haven’t suffered one bit of racism in my life and I likely never will. I simply disagree with what he said, I have no more skin in the game.
What he said was xenophobic, not racist. After all, there are lots of white Europeans that have immigrated to canada (including my own relatives 120 years ago).

Immigrants come from all over the world. Not all of them are of different races, but they are all from different cultures.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Again he didn’t say that in those words.
I actually got a chuckle when he called out the city of Toronto for being guilty of non poppy support.
Don Cherry was calling out old and new Canadians to be aware of and support our military both from days gone by to the present.
The simple act of wearing a poppy shouldn’t be too much of an ask for any Canadian new or old.
Don Cherry is now gone and probably half the board is rejoicing.
Time for a new voice and hopefully whoever it is has the courage of their convictions like Don Cherry had.
Onwards time to move on.
oh its going to be burke. no doubt about it. cant wait.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
oh its going to be burke. no doubt about it. cant wait.
Interesting...he’d be good but wondering if they will go in a much younger direction.
Cheers... I think most sides have been covered and it’s safer here than the main boards

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
If he was really upset about people not wearing poppies he would have mentioned that a large portion of the people not wearing poppies on remembrance day are born and raised canadians. But he didnt. Basically he doesn't have a problem if your white and not wearing a poppy but if your not white and possibly an immigrant and not wearing a poppy he has a big problem with that.
I don’t think he said that. You’re taking quite a leap there.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
My mother goes to a Mennonite Church. She says they do not wear poppies, and are against them, because they symbolize War, which they are against.
I have a different opinion. Poppies symbolize the freedom we Canadians have due to the sacrifice people my grandfathers age made for future generations. I wear poppy proudly on remembrance day and try to support Legions close to my home as a thank you. Those poppies represent the freedom people have to say ignorant things, they don't fully understand.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
This is the real reason cherry should have gotten canned:

He has lost it

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Old Ronnie gave it a thumbs up but apologized the next day and he is still there...
See ya Grapes, I didn't always agree with you but you always said what was on your mind...

Oh ya, thanks for that "too many men" penalty too...

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
What he said was xenophobic, not racist. After all, there are lots of white Europeans that have immigrated to canada (including my own relatives 120 years ago).

Immigrants come from all over the world. Not all of them are of different races, but they are all from different cultures.
Honestly I think there is probably a bit of overlap. I don’t think Cherry has a fear of immigrants, nor do I think he hates them. He’s intolerant and perpetuates stereotypes.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
The only thing my wife liked on coaches corner was the fancy new suits Cherry worn at each segment

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Honestly I think there is probably a bit of overlap. I don’t think Cherry has a fear of immigrants, nor do I think he hates them. He’s intolerant and perpetuates stereotypes.
Maybe, but I have never heard him disparage a particular race.

If we're gonna put a label like "racist" on someone, we oughtta have some direct evidence.

Sure he's intolerant and perpetuates stereotypes, but I've never heard him do so against a specific race.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The guy was raised in a different era and should be viewed through such a lens. To require him to be PC, a far more recent phenomena, is insulting to the older generation. The younger generation should respect their elders, and accept that they were raised in a different world. Even a civil rights champion from a 100 years ago have said something that today would not be PC, and it should not tarnish their legacy.

His comments (and others he has made over the years) were never acceptable. They may not have been a firing offense 60 years ago but they were still offensive.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Rogers only fired him because he said something bad about their biggest market and the biggest demographic they are after. $$$

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He is going to start an online sports talk (read rant) show...

Sour Grapes!

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
McLean has done an outstanding job doing his hometown hockey without Cherry. Not having to be Cherry's punching bag anymore must be a great relief I would think.

From what I remember reading Ron Maclean’s book, I would think this is a terrible position for him to be in, as it seems to me they were quite close off the air.
But every Saturday was probably like taking an old mean dog you love to the dog park and hoping he doesn’t bite someone. Seemed inevitable.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Maybe, but I have never heard him disparage a particular race.

If we're gonna put a label like "racist" on someone, we oughtta have some direct evidence.

Sure he's intolerant and perpetuates stereotypes, but I've never heard him do so against a specific race.

So, he's an equal opportunity xenophobe?

Anyway, don't feel sorry for Cherry--he has raked in the $$ and notoriety for years because he was 'controversial', not because of anything new or insightful he had to say.

But people seem to love old guys making inflammatory pronouncements...so I suggest they replace him with Sip :sarcasm:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Help me understand something.

If 8% of Group A wears a poppy and 17% of Group B wears a poppy, it’s always wrong to point our that less people from Group A wears a poppy?

Apparently, but why?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Help me understand something.

If 8% of Group A wears a poppy and 17% of Group B wears a poppy, it’s always wrong to point our that less people from Group A wears a poppy?

Apparently, but why?
It has less to do with right vs wrong and more to do with appearances, pandering, and virtue signaling on the part of the network.

Nobody can say anything negative about group a, whether true or not. However, it's not only ok to point out negatives of group b, but openly encouraged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad