Post-Game Talk (GBU): Don’t care

buffalojedwardo

Jan 3, 2019
Santa Rosa Beach
If we’re at a point where we are celebrating shots attempted and the amount of shots on net, then we’re not in a good place for this organization. Moral victories mean crap in today’s game.

Quality should always triumph over quantity, and I’d happily give up 15 listless shots from the point for 5 shots between the dots with traffic.
I meant the same man I just was surprised by the number! Ive never seen less creativity in a while. Same crap entering the zone time and time again. Everyone either takes stupid shots instead of passing or just tries to snipe it everytime rather than drive the net.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Put this in the Housley thread, but I guess it fits here also....
remaincalm-01.jpg

Reactions: sabremike

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Some offseason our organization's driving ideology will be to make the NHL's Buffalo Sabres better through the acquisition and development and retention of good NHL hockey players. I can't f***ing wait to finally see it. Let's leave the media-friendly nothing buzzwords and decade-long rebuild tropes behind.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
If we’re at a point where we are celebrating shots attempted and the amount of shots on net, then we’re not in a good place for this organization. Moral victories mean crap in today’s game.

Quality should always triumph over quantity, and I’d happily give up 15 listless shots from the point for 5 shots between the dots with traffic.

During the win streak many people tempered expectations by pointing out the poor analytics and the likely impending regression, doing the same during a rough patch is no different. It's the old "you're never as good as you think when you win or as bad as you think when you lose" mantra.

We had the better SCF% & HDCF% in this one as well while the game was still in question, so we had quantity and quality...

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
2 months ago, I would stay home the extra hour or delay activities to watch the games.

I'd much rather just do my research, hit the gym or the road now.

Reactions: Fearnot

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I actually like these quotes..not the woe-is-me of previous years

I guarantee you I can find Jack (and yes, Ryan) with identical sentiments from numerous postgame interviews last season, even if you don't like the tenor of some of Ryan's other interviews.

The reality is, attempting to glean anything from these soundbites is ludicrous.

The reality is, over a full NHL season, the content of your roster is by far the main driver of the results you see. And that's good, because that's the thing the people in charge of the team have control over. Yes, coaching can add and subtract wins, and there are times where teams need to make a change. Yes, there are coaches that would get better results than Phil likely does.

But our real problem right now has to do with the structure of the hockey club, particularly in the forward ranks. It's going to be the same problem no matter what personalities are in the locker room, until those personalities come with hockey skills that are conducive to succeeding in today's NHL.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Easily ours...stl might get in playoffs if their goalies hold up
If we aren't going to make it, I'm going to pour all my rooting energy into that team, in the hopes that the optics of that result kickstarts our team into joining the broader NHL movement of acquiring and keeping good players to have a winning team, which always winds up quieting goofy narratives somehow

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Nope, I am not advocating to push him out the door or anything but he's an interchangeable speedy middle six forward. Dime a dozen.
Because we totally don't have like, 2 of those on the team while Botts apologists keep telling me you can't get any more during the season.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Oilers fan here.

Yup, that was a pretty awful game by the Sabres. Like, Oilers 2010-2015 bad. Lucic had 1 goal in 82 games, and had 2 tonight. That alone is pretty shameful. Kassian also doubled his goal total this year with 2 tonight.

I will say though that I was VERY impressed by Dahlin. Based on what I've read he's been solid defensively but not had much going on offense. His offense was anything but quiet today. Looked Karlsson-esque today and for a rookie, that's pretty damn impressive.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Whoever started #eichelsfault on twitter, shame
It's Jack and Sam's turn. ROR, Kane, Lehner are gone, and we have a good handle on Risto's ceiling and abilities. Plus, he hits. There's no one else left.

The fan's ire in the face of potential continued struggling, despite having absolutely f***ing nothing to do with Jack and Sam, will be directed right at them.

It's how our fans work.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Wow there’s a lot of overreacting going on, there was a lot of ugly tonight but seriously we even outshot them basically 2 to 1 42 to 25.

Scored the first goal, the goaltending and powerPlay were atrocious as was our top line invisible.

It’s a good thing there’s an all star break coming up to refresh the minds, we deserved a better fate over
Tampa last game and tonight outplayed them too but we probably deserve to lose considering the score and all.

I get this is the place to vent but someone saying Eichel should take himself out of the all star game, why? Because he goes three games without a point for the first time all year following an injury, he even played well (not really well for him but well enough) being on the ice for two goals for he set up in the previous two games but tonight wasn’t very good.

Almost every team this season has been blown out.

We are 6-11-4 since the ten game winning streak but let’s all remember we were expecting a 6-11-4 type of season, and the fact we won ten in a row before that, infsct we were 13-2-2 at one point shows we still are progressing better then we should.

This stuff happens the Oilers were due and not only due but due to to whoop us we have beaten them badly so many times Eichel had five points the last time he played in this arena.

I do think changes need to be made and I’m not a fan of housley though.

But we just need to relax
A little, I’m just happy we’re in a playoff race but that’s me.

The goaltending was so bad

Reactions: Hasek

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
U
The Buffalo Sabres Organization

I loved this team around thanksgiving. It was so promising. Now I can’t stand so many players on this team. I can’t stand Housley. This team has no balls. None. Nada. They SUCK. Myle Moulposo trots his ass out there on a nightly basis and contributes nothing other than a ****ty drop pass to nobody every other game. The rest of the bottom 8 forwards are either incredibly below average or terrible on any given night. The defense has turned into a Sportsman South level beer league team at Northtown rinks.

Load up the rockets fellas, fire them all into the sun.

Just wow I hope your venting, this team has no business on paper fighting for a playoff spot in the best division currently in the league but it is and we are even outplaying teams on a.m nightly basis just aren’t getting the results most nights, we outshot them 42-25, and held the lead over the best team in the league in the third last game.

The coaching needs to be changed but this team has so many bright pieces doing forward. If you don’t want to be here for that we’ll theres the door I guess.

Oilers fan here.

Yup, that was a pretty awful game by the Sabres. Like, Oilers 2010-2015 bad. Lucic had 1 goal in 82 games, and had 2 tonight. That alone is pretty shameful. Kassian also doubled his goal total this year with 2 tonight.

I will say though that I was VERY impressed by Dahlin. Based on what I've read he's been solid defensively but not had much going on offense. His offense was anything but quiet today. Looked Karlsson-esque today and for a rookie, that's pretty damn impressive.

Unfortunately Eichel skinner and the rest had a rare off game. They’re never that bad usually, Eichel had a 5 point game against you guys last time, you were bound to blow us out and due for a win after all the losses lately, this buffalo team is not like those Oiler teams, those teams competed for lottery picks the sabres have turned a corner there just not a top team yet but tonight looked like a lottery team it happens.

Even the best teams get blown out, don’t judge the team from one game where nothing went right. Especially when you got outshot 42-25

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
It's Jack and Sam's turn. ROR, Kane, Lehner are gone, and we have a good handle on Risto's ceiling and abilities. Plus, he hits. There's no one else left.

The fan's ire in the face of potential continued struggling, despite having absolutely ****ing nothing to do with Jack and Sam, will be directed right at them.

It's how our fans work.

Having gone through a lot of garbage the last 6 or so years, I would urge caution if a team is thinking of tanking to get the #1 pick.

There is a huge difference between top picks, isn't there?

McDavid was a #1; Eichel would have been a #1 in any other draft in the last 15 years probably. Dahlin was a #1, and Reinhart was too, if you think of him as the #1 forward taken in his draft, with only a D man going before.

The gaps between those players are pretty large.

I would suggest McDavid was worth a full season's tank. Hopefully Dahlin will be too, but that's still undetermined. Not sure about Eichel, and definitely not Reinhart.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Having gone through a lot of garbage the last 6 or so years, I would urge caution if a team is thinking of tanking to get the #1 pick.

There is a huge difference between top picks, isn't there?

McDavid was a #1; Eichel would have been a #1 in any other draft in the last 15 years probably. Dahlin was a #1, and Reinhart was too, if you think of him as the #1 forward taken in his draft, with only a D man going before.

The gaps between those players are pretty large.

I would suggest McDavid was worth a full season's tank. Hopefully Dahlin will be too, but that's still undetermined. Not sure about Eichel, and definitely not Reinhart.
the funny part is that we were trying hard to win when we got Dahlin....sure a couple rebuilding moves after we lost contention but nothing bad...Eichel missing 20ish games sure didn't help either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad