Post-Game Talk (GBU): Don’t care

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
TL;DR Don't draft high-floor, low-ceiling guys over those with big upsides. Asplund and Davidsson will play in the NHL, but man would it be nice if DeBrincat and/or Jason Robertson were in the organization right about now.

To be fair, that's exactly what the 2013-15 drafts were supposed to be, it is exactly how we described guys like Hurley, Bailey, Possler, Cornel, Karabacek, Martin, Guhle, Stephens, Estephan, etc.

I get where you're coming from though, the Samuelsson & Davidsson picks do seem safer though

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
To be fair, that's exactly what the 2013-15 drafts were supposed to be, it is exactly how we described guys like Hurley, Bailey, Possler, Cornel, Karabacek, Martin, Guhle, Stephens, Estephan, etc.

I get where you're coming from though, the Samuelsson & Davidsson picks do seem safer though
You have no idea just how terrified I am that passing on Bode Wilde for Samuelsson ends up being a colossal mistake.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Lets see who you scratch next game Phil.
Accountability just seem to concern young players.

Reactions: Fearnot

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
They’ve still hit a lot. We haven’t had a pick like Pastrnak or McAvoy since I’ve been a fan.

Why you have to mention McAvoy? About any GM takes him, Chychrun, or Sergachev while they were sitting there on a silver platter...but we take Nylander... I still get the shakes any time someone says their names...thanks a lot!

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Why you have to mention McAvoy? About any GM takes him, Chychrun, or Sergachev while they were sitting there on a silver platter...but we take Nylander... I still get the shakes any time someone says their names...thanks a lot!

Yeah. That's the one that sticks in my craw more than anything. If we hadn't gotten Dahlin, that mistake would look even more massive than it is.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Ah yes, any GM takes Chychrun. That's why he went 16th...

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
At this point we need Nylander more than a defenseman anyways.

At this point, absolutely. But at the time?

Also -- imagine we got Svechnikov or Kotkaniemi or Tkachuk and not Dahlin. Now we'd be imploring Botts to trade Nylander for a D that probably isn't in the McAvoy/Sergachev/Chychrun tier.

That decision from Murray (Nylander over one of the D) would truly be a killer right now.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
At this point, absolutely. But at the time?

Also -- imagine we got Svechnikov or Kotkaniemi or Tkachuk and not Dahlin. Now we'd be imploring Botts to trade Nylander for a D that probably isn't in the McAvoy/Sergachev/Chychrun tier.

That decision from Murray (Nylander over one of the D) would truly be a killer right now.

IMO, we needed both. We had nobody in our forward ranks with elite skill, but we also needed some blueline help. I was fully on the Chychrun train for the year, and he was my preferred pick, but let's not act like Nylander was some reach at the time. He was drafted where he was pretty much slotted. I don't think it was a wrong pick, but I wouldn't have went that direction if I had a say.

But this board at the time of the draft, and the discussions about forward vs defenseman or need vs BPA, yikes...

Reactions: Zman5778 and DJN21

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I would've passed on both Nylander and Mitts(even though hes grown on me). Defense always wins and people put too much hope in Risto. Dahlin was an afterthought so he doesn't really count. Our drafting has been abysmal in a ton of ways but is righting itself lately. Pekar, Samulesson, Guhle(even though I'm losing faith), Laaks, etc are shaping up far more quickly that prior picks. When we took Nylander I called him ennis at best and t this point that might be generous. Mitts will likely come around though some of the Dmen that draft are far more tantalizing. Is what it is...

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
IMO, we needed both. We had nobody in our forward ranks with elite skill, but we also needed some blueline help. I was fully on the Chychrun train for the year, and he was my preferred pick, but let's not act like Nylander was some reach at the time. He was drafted where he was pretty much slotted. I don't think it was a wrong pick, but I wouldn't have went that direction if I had a say.

But this board at the time of the draft, and the discussions about forward vs defenseman or need vs BPA, yikes...
Nylander was actually supposed to be gone by the time we picked. Until Jarmo and Jimbo messed everything up.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Oh, you're absolutely right. Nylander wasn't a reach at all and was drafted right around where he should have been. I was more referring to my personal desire to take a Dman there (Chychrun was my #1 pick there as well, followed by Serg)

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Yeah our secondary drafting especially has been lacking which is a tough pill to swallow because I remember like 10 years ago when half of our teams stars were late or later draft picks. I'm not too sure where the blame really lies, whether its the drafting itself or the development but theres obviously a problem somewhere.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Doesn’t help when multiple 1sts and 2nds get traded away for... nothing that has survived.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Yeah our secondary drafting especially has been lacking which is a tough pill to swallow because I remember like 10 years ago when half of our teams stars were late or later draft picks. I'm not too sure where the blame really lies, whether its the drafting itself or the development but theres obviously a problem somewhere.
In 2008-09, our top six scorers (45+ points) were all first or second rounders, aside from Jaro Spacek who was a fifth.

Roy, Pominville, Vanek, Connolly, Stafford and Spacek.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
They've bricked all their 2nd and 3rd rounders for a while. As much as people don't want to hear it, that's more luck than anything.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
They’ve still hit a lot. We haven’t had a pick like Pastrnak or McAvoy since I’ve been a fan.

The thing that impresses me most about Boston is their support players are so well coached and trained to be as "plug and play" as possible. They are just like Tampa in that regard, and it's looking teams like Nashville and Toronto are following suit, though at different levels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad