Post-Game Talk (GBU): Don’t care

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Watched 5 minutes of the first. The days of me busting my ass to make sure everything else in my life is squared away early just so I can escape for 2 1/2 hours to watch the Sabres are over. It was a fun couple months at least.

Member 308457

Okposo must have been overjoyed when he landed this huge, undeserved contract from the Pegulas. (Leino/Ehrhoff/Moulson curse) Now he's finding it impossible to live up to it. I feel AGAIN like I bought something expensive on ebay, it didn't work, now I can't return it. Over and over. What a nightmare for these neophyte owners, who never learn, and long-suffering fans. There are at least half a dozen players on the team who are passengers and are hanging on for dear life in the NHL. As for our our goalies...keep looking. The Sabres need a great goalie and they don't have one. These two are good but inconsistent. Maybe wait for or even call Ukka Lukka. Bottom line, in sports, there are designated winners and designated losers and our team is the latter.

Reactions: Fearnot

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Oilers fan here.

Yup, that was a pretty awful game by the Sabres. Like, Oilers 2010-2015 bad. Lucic had 1 goal in 82 games, and had 2 tonight. That alone is pretty shameful. Kassian also doubled his goal total this year with 2 tonight.

I will say though that I was VERY impressed by Dahlin. Based on what I've read he's been solid defensively but not had much going on offense. His offense was anything but quiet today. Looked Karlsson-esque today and for a rookie, that's pretty damn impressive.
The sad thing is, the Oilers looked awful for the majority of the first half of the game; the Sabres controlled play, but bad teams find ways to lose. What can ya do?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Okposo must have been overjoyed when he landed this huge, undeserved contract from the Pegulas. (Leino/Ehrhoff/Moulson curse) Now he's finding it impossible to live up to it. I feel AGAIN like I bought something expensive on ebay, it didn't work, now I can't return it. Over and over. What a nightmare for these neophyte owners, who never learn, and long-suffering fans. There are at least half a dozen players on the team who are passengers and are hanging on for dear life in the NHL. As for our our goalies...keep looking. The Sabres need a great goalie and they don't have one. These two are good but inconsistent. Maybe wait for or even call Ukka Lukka. Bottom line, in sports, there are designated winners and designated losers and our team is the latter.
Don't lump Ehrhoff in with goddamn Ville Leino, please.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Housley for the Jack Adams.

Botts is a genius.

ROR and Lehner were the reasons that the team was bad.

Man, I miss those days because the team was fun to watch.

It would be bad enough if it was McDavid torching this team. But, both Kassian and Lucic doubled their season goal totals last night and doubled up the Sabres all by themselves.

:facepalm:

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Housley for the Jack Adams.

Botts is a genius.

ROR and Lehner were the reasons that the team was bad.

Man, I miss those days because the team was fun to watch.

It would be bad enough if it was McDavid torching this team. But, both Kassian and Lucic doubled their season goal totals last night and doubled up the Sabres all by themselves.

:facepalm:
I'm glad it appears Lehner has his life back together

The Lehner we had was a hot mess.

Reactions: oldgoalie

pf8363

Feb 17, 2015
Nope, I am not advocating to push him out the door or anything but he's an interchangeable speedy middle six forward. Dime a dozen.
That's what we thought during the tank. "Just get the #1C, the depth guys are easy to find." While finding a #1C is probably still the hardest thing to do in hockey, the last few years have proved it's not as easy to find the depth guys as we thought. E-Rod has been one of the few bottom 6 bright spots the last 4 years. I would try to keep him around as long as his salary expectations are reasonable

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Do you guys view E-rod as a long term piece?
I actually do, but he shouldn't be penciled into the Top 9 going into next season. He should be seen as valuable depth, that CAN move up the lineup, if need be. I'd much rather have depth like him, than Sobotka.

Erod is probably much better on a more structured, well coached and solid team. He's had no consistency here, but seems to mesh with just about anyone. I think he's more skilled that we give him credit for. I still stand by that he's one of our better forwards and more noticeable game in and game out. That speaks more to our lack of depth, than it says about him. He should be a 4th liner on a good team.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
No depth. We need to draft and develop another young stud or two upfront. Draft 3 fing forwards in the first this year who can score.

Reactions: Reddawg

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
No depth. We need to draft and develop another young stud or two upfront. Draft 3 fing forwards in the first this year who can score.

TL;DR Don't draft high-floor, low-ceiling guys over those with big upsides. Asplund and Davidsson will play in the NHL, but man would it be nice if DeBrincat and/or Jason Robertson were in the organization right about now.

Reactions: Woodhouse and Rasmi

Roost

Apr 6, 2017
Erie
TL;DR Don't draft high-floor, low-ceiling guys over those with big upsides. Asplund and Davidsson will play in the NHL, but man would it be nice if DeBrincat and/or Jason Robertson were in the organization right about now.

Nope this organization doesn’t take chances on guys like that.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Exactly, drafting a safe Dman like Samuelson or a low ceiling forward like Asplund would drive me insane. We need to go after 3 skill forwards in the first round, it’s not even close what our biggest need moving forward is.

I fully expect us to draft a Dman whose upside is a 3, a centre with 2C potential and a power forward winger with top 6 potential...then in three years we have a new Scandella, a new Foligno, and a new Asplund while Boston walks away with another stud forward.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Exactly, drafting a safe Dman like Samuelson or a low ceiling forward like Asplund would drive me insane. We need to go after 3 skill forwards in the first round, it’s not even close what our biggest need moving forward is.

I fully expect us to draft a Dman whose upside is a 3, a centre with 2C potential and a power forward winger with top 6 potential...then in three years we have a new Scandella, a new Foligno, and a new Asplund while Boston walks away with another stud forward.

Man, that's REALLY pessimistic to compare Buffalo unfavorably to the very team that dropped a 1st rd with three straight picks into the porta-potty. :laugh:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I was looking at the potential first rounders in the 11-31 range this morning, and found most of them pretty underwhelming to say the least. Seems like this is a top-heavy draft for skill/scoring forwards, there's hardly anyone outside the top ten who is even PPG in junior. I really hope they take at least one home run swing on a DeBrincat type...but that requires a DeBrincat type forward to even be available to take.

Who are some guys we should be hoping for?

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
So whose pick ends up higher, ours or STL's?
It seems they are rebounding and we might get the pick
Its bad enough Botts didnt get an unprotected one with basically swallowing 2 ugly contracts

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

You mean like the 10 games were we basically came back no matter what
Maybe if you said back than "I have no idea why we are winning, or analytics are bad we are getting outshot but we are winning" I would believe you

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
The ghost of Nathan Beaulieu of seasons past returned last night.
Pairing him with Scandella seemed to pull the suck right out of each other.

Scandella's confidence is toast. I don't know how that gets fixed. You have to sit em for a few games Phil, you have no choice. He is not going to play his way out of the slump. He needs an apple-control-reset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->