2019–20Chicago BlackhawksNHL683016461694484
2020–21Chicago BlackhawksNHL5617213818
2021–22Chicago BlackhawksNHL7815173216
2022–23Detroit Red WingsNHL8120254524

2018Czech RepublicWC7th83580
2019Czech RepublicWC4th1066120
2021Czech RepublicWC7th73360
2023Czech RepublicWC8th884120
Kubalik seems to have a scoring touch, so that is a good thing to add to the roster. He should be able to provide at least 20 goals and 20 assists this coming season. Not as good as Debrincat offensively but the team can certainly use his offensive skillset. I suspect he will play in the top 6 as we currently don't have 2nd line W and still need a 3rd line W. Hopefully Formenton returns. :)

if Kubalik is better than DeBrincat we are in trouble next july when his contract ends and we have to pay him
That would not be ideal; however, if Kubalik scores 40 goals for us I would be happy. EDIT: I would love it if Kubalik scored 40 goals and consider that a GOOD TRADE if he does that; perhaps we sign him part way during the season at a decent AAV if he produces at that level..

No. He played with some combination of Copp/Suter/Veleno as his center more than he played with Larkin. He got less than 15 minutes a game in primarily a 3rd line role apart from a hot couple months with Larkin and then he got yanked off the top line never to return. If he got steady top line icetime all year, he's 30+30 easy.
Why was he "yanked"off the top line? Defensive weaknesses?

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Stutzle is definitely a talent that can carry guys, so he might get Kubalik to 30 goals who knows and he will have Giroux to help him.

They should put back Brady-Norris-Batherson together as that was our most impressive dominant healthy line.
Whatever is working game to game is what I would put together. Chemistry on a line is great as long as it is working (scoring goals and preventing goals against).

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He was put on the top line when Bertuzzi broke his hand and Vrana entered the PAP the first week of the season. Bertuzzi came back and was given the top line spot. Kubalik struggled a bit after his hot start on the top line and never got the opportunity back even after Bertuzzi got hurt again.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Trade Joseph & Brannstrom for Laughton LW.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Batherson
Laughton - Norris - Giroux
Kubalik - Pinto - Sokolov
I think Sokolov may be elsewhere next season.

He was put on the top line when Bertuzzi broke his hand and Vrana entered the PAP the first week of the season. Bertuzzi came back and was given the top line spot. Kubalik struggled a bit after his hot start on the top line and never got the opportunity back even after Bertuzzi got hurt again.
Thanks for the info.

Reactions: norrisnick

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I’m getting Milan Michalek vibes from Kubalik (and not just because he’s Czech)

Doesn’t seem like this guy has a hard time staying healthy. Milo was always considered a top 6 lock where this guy is a middle 6 guy. Pretty diff players aside from them both being Czech

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Sokolov may be elsewhere next season.

Thanks for the info.
Really? He is an RFA & they have yet to sign him, but could likely sign him for league minimum if they wanted, they have only 43 contracts signed out of 50 so far. He's only 23 yrs old & led Belleville in scoring for 2 of 3 yrs with only a pt behind Luccini a yr ago. I was hoping they would give him a shot on the 3rd line & move Joseph out but who knows, they could add him to some trade package too.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If he wasnt the main piece coming back in the DBC trade I'd honestly be very happy with this acquisition. He fortifies our shallow bottom-6 and seems like an overall likeable guy.

But if we don't go out and get Tarasenko or his equivalent, and Kubalik is forced into our top-6, I'm not a fan.
Kubalik and Formenton at $2.5M each might be a good 2LW and 3LW combo. I think Tarasenko might cost too much for a longer term than he would be worth.

Really? He is an RFA & they have yet to sign him, but could likely sign him for league minimum if they wanted, they have only 43 contracts signed out of 50 so far. He's only 23 yrs old & led Belleville in scoring for 2 of 3 yrs with only a pt behind Luccini a yr ago. I was hoping they would give him a shot on the 3rd line & move Joseph out but who knows, they could add him to some trade package too.
I think his lack of speed is a weakness at the NHL level. I hope he proves me wrong. We have the cap room now.

Who shall we sign, Sokolov or Formenton?

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Just not having to face him should be a win! lol

Seemed every time we played him, he would get a goal against us

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Kubalik seems to have a scoring touch, so that is a good thing to add to the roster. He should be able to provide at least 20 goals and 20 assists this coming season. Not as good as Debrincat offensively but the team can certainly use his offensive skillset. I suspect he will play in the top 6 as we currently don't have 2nd line W and still need a 3rd line W. Hopefully Formenton returns. :)

That would not be ideal; however, if Kubalik scores 40 goals for us I would be happy. EDIT: I would love it if Kubalik scored 40 goals and consider that a GOOD TRADE if he does that; perhaps we sign him part way during the season at a decent AAV if he produces at that level..

Probably yanked off top line, because Bertuzzi came back from injury

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Player Cards

I think Middle Six is a good way to look at him. On this team we have 5 better top 6 players.
If they add Tarasenko make that 6.. (I don't think they will)
Tatar is another middle six player.
So One may call him top 6 while another calls him top 9 .. No point in arguing about that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Player Cards

I think Middle Six is a good way to look at him. On this team we have 5 better top 6 players.
If they add Tarasenko make that 6.. (I don't think they will)
Tatar is another middle six player.
So One may call him top 6 while another calls him top 9 .. No point in arguing about that.

Personally. I like to think of guys as scoring line wingers, scoring line drivers, energy or shut down guys, ect.

Kubalik will play a roll as a support piece on a scoring line, whether it's the 1st, 2nd or 3rd line, the role is the same and I don't think he'd look out of place on any of those lines. What we can't do is expect him to carry a line.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Kubalik at $2.5 million in our top 6 is better than having Cat for $6.4 million, considering how much money we have tied up in Stu, Brady, Bath, Norris and Giroux. He's scored at a 46 point pace since coming into the league, while playing on bottom feeder teams and having inconsistent line mates. Cat has scored at a 68 point pace since he entered the league playing primarily next to Kane.

Most importantly, Cat regressed without Kane. Kubalik was still able to produce closer to his career mean when he left Chicago.

Cat is the better player, but for what this team needs, Kubalik is a good fit and gives us financial flexibility.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Kubalik at $2.5 million in our top 6 is better than having Cat for $6.4 million, considering how much money we have tied up in Stu, Brady, Bath, Norris and Giroux. He's scored at a 46 point pace since coming into the league, while playing on bottom feeder teams and having inconsistent line mates. Cat has scored at a 68 point pace since he entered the league playing primarily next to Kane.

Most importantly, Cat regressed without Kane. Kubalik was still able to produce closer to his career mean when he left Chicago.

Cat is the better player, but for what this team needs, Kubalik is a good fit and gives us financial flexibility.
We also got that late 1st which can be used to bring in another forward from a rebuilding team

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Kubalik and Formenton at $2.5M each might be a good 2LW and 3LW combo. I think Tarasenko might cost too much for a longer term than he would be worth.

I think his lack of speed is a weakness at the NHL level. I hope he proves me wrong. We have the cap room now.

Who shall we sign, Sokolov or Formenton?
We could probably afford both can we not? I'd still move both Brannstrom & Joseph to open up more cap room & maybe push Soko to the 4th line to create a RW roster spot.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
Kubalik - Norris Batherson
Formenton - Pinto - Sokolov

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
We could probably afford both can we not? I'd still move both Brannstrom & Joseph to open up more cap room & maybe push Soko to the 4th line to create a RW roster spot.

Joseph was hurt a lot last year, I’m willing to give him one more shot, for now, unless something better comes along.

I doubt that he would sign for the league minimum but I agree he would be a very good addition for our 3LW. I hope the London HC issue is resolved soon as it has dragged on for quite a while now.
Ya would be nice to see a resolution, whatever it is.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Tkachuk Stutzle Giroux
Crouse/Laughton Norris Batherson
Forms Pinto Kubalik

Use the 1st, Joseph, + to get Crouse or Laughton

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think we need three line drivers for the top 9 Tkachuk & Stutzle can drive line 1, Norris & Giroux can drive line 2 & Batherson & Pinto can drive line 3. Now all we have to do is fill in the blanks, we need a top line RW maybe Kubalik can play RW. Laughton could play 2nd line LW with his buddy Giroux driving that line. And Batherson could drive line 3 with Pinto & Formenton giving Ottawa a very good top 9.

Two questions:
1, Will Formenton be given a second chance here in Ottawa? I'm not sure he will, it's a flip of the coin at this point, but he would solve the roster cap issues given I think he would sign for peanuts.

2. What will it cost to get Laughton or better yet Crouse given Joseph & Brannstrom are not enough that we are willing to pay? Could we add that new D we just got or Thomson plus a 1st? Laughton might be available, but is Crouse?

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Kubalik
Laughton
- Norris - Giroux
Formenton - Pinto - Batherson

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I think we need three line drivers for the top 9 Tkachuk & Stutzle can drive line 1, Norris & Giroux can drive line 2 & Batherson & Pinto can drive line 3. Now all we have to do is fill in the blanks, we need a top line RW maybe Kubalik can play RW. Laughton could play 2nd line LW with his buddy Giroux driving that line. And Batherson could drive line 3 with Pinto & Formenton giving Ottawa a very good top 9.

Two questions:
1, Will Formenton be given a second chance here in Ottawa? I'm not sure he will, it's a flip of the coin at this point, but he would solve the roster cap issues given I think he would sign for peanuts.

2. What will it cost to get Laughton or better yet Crouse given Joseph & Brannstrom are not enough that we are willing to pay? Could we add that new D we just got or Thomson plus a 1st? Laughton might be available, but is Crouse?

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Kubalik
Laughton
- Norris - Giroux
Formenton - Pinto - Batherson
I have alot of faith (maybe too much) in Greig being able to play that 3LW slot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IF we can afford them both. Trasenko on a long term contract might turn out to be bad.
Would you consider 3 yrs long term for a 31 yr old coming off a 50 pt season? It seems he is close to signing with Carolina though, that would be unfortunate but we still have some options.

I have alot of faith (maybe too much) in Greig being able to play that 3LW slot.
I like Greig a lot but he might need just a little more time in Belleville maybe half a season. I like Sokolov too & he has done everything asked of him in Belleville but just not sure of his future here.

Reactions: BigRig4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad