Player Discussion Dominik Kubalik

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
One of, if not the most forgettable player we've had on our roster. Hard to believe Dorion thought he would be an asset worth trading for.
I actually thought he’d be a better fit than debrincat. Guess I was wrong. Should have known better than to judge a Dorion trade favorably.

Reactions: Cosmix

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He's pacing 15-20 goals and playing 3rd/4th line minutes most nights. I don't know what you guys were expecting. He's a shooter who's not good enough to fit in a top 6 and he's not a good fit in a bottom 6 either.

It was a dissapointment from day 1 to get this guy. We didn't really get anything for Debrincat. A late first and that's it. That's what? A 15% chance of getting a player who plays 100 NHL games?

Should've pushed for someone like Rasmussen who can actually play a role on a team even if we didn't get a late first. Now we're gonna pay a premium to grab a guy who can play a bottom 6 energy role.

I have a feeling he finishes the year here. No one will want a guy like him in their bottom 6 for playoffs.

Reactions: bicboi64

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
1000055947.jpg

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I have a feeling he finishes the year here. No one will want a guy like him in their bottom 6 for playoffs.
Maybe a team like NJD can use him given the injuries they've had. Or Vegas, they're always able to squeeze the most out of their bottom 6.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
One of, if not the most forgettable player we've had on our roster. Hard to believe Dorion thought he would be an asset worth trading for.
Maybe he was just a salary dump. Did he lose a step? He's so slow and always behind the play. No one takes him for free.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
He's pacing 15-20 goals and playing 3rd/4th line minutes most nights. I don't know what you guys were expecting. He's a shooter who's not good enough to fit in a top 6 and he's not a good fit in a bottom 6 either.

It was a dissapointment from day 1 to get this guy. We didn't really get anything for Debrincat. A late first and that's it. That's what? A 15% chance of getting a player who plays 100 NHL games?

Should've pushed for someone like Rasmussen who can actually play a role on a team even if we didn't get a late first. Now we're gonna pay a premium to grab a guy who can play a bottom 6 energy role.

Berggren has looked flat out dominant in the Grand Rapids games I've seen and that was a name a lot of people were calling for.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Not that I want him back or anything, but I wonder if part of him not looking that good is due to usage.

We like to stack our top 6 so when we have just 1 or 2 injuries, our bottom 6 is void of talent.

So we've either been putting him on the 3rd or 4th line with players who don't have offensive game...

OR

We put him with Tarasenko where he's obviously not the main trigger man.

I wonder how he would look on a team that spreads out their offense to have 3 offensive lines AND he's the main trigger guy.

Like how would he look on the third line with a playmaker and a 2 way grinder.

Right now we've only tried him with grinders or other snipers.

I wish we ranked our 3 best passers and 3 best scorers and spread them across 3 lines to make duos and then penciled in a grinder on each. Just roll lines. Stack up your powerplays.

Then I feel he could contribute on the third line as a sniper.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Not that I want him back or anything, but I wonder if part of him not looking that good is due to usage.

We like to stack our top 6 so when we have just 1 or 2 injuries, our bottom 6 is void of talent.

So we've either been putting him on the 3rd or 4th line with players who don't have offensive game...

OR

We put him with Tarasenko where he's obviously not the main trigger man.

I wonder how he would look on a team that spreads out their offense to have 3 offensive lines AND he's the main trigger guy.

Like how would he look on the third line with a playmaker and a 2 way grinder.

Right now we've only tried him with grinders or other snipers.

I wish we ranked our 3 best passers and 3 best scorers and spread them across 3 lines to make duos and then penciled in a grinder on each. Just roll lines. Stack up your powerplays.

Then I feel he could contribute on the third line as a sniper.
We just don't have enough good passers unfortunately.

Reactions: Cosmix

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
We just don't have enough good passers unfortunately.

I agree. We're lacking some secondary playmaking.

Maybe identify Norris, Tkachuk, and Tarasenko as your 3 main goal scorers. Identify Giroux, batherson, and stutzle as your main playmakers.

Tkachuk-stutzle-(joseph)
Giroux-norris-(greig)
Batherson-(Pinto)-tarasenko

Plug in your obvious holes... So Pinto 3rd line center. Then Joseph and Greig on the top 2 right wings.

Gives you a sniper, a playmaker, and a grinder on each line. And each grinder is capable of 40-60 points in theory so you should have a lot of offense from that set up.

Then the 4th line should just be guys who can crash and bang. Guys like Kelly or kastelic when their on their game. Maybe crookshank?

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I agree. We're lacking some secondary playmaking.

Maybe identify Norris, Tkachuk, and Tarasenko as your 3 main goal scorers. Identify Giroux, batherson, and stutzle as your main playmakers.

Tkachuk-stutzle-(joseph)
Giroux-norris-(greig)
Batherson-(Pinto)-tarasenko

Plug in your obvious holes... So Pinto 3rd line center. Then Joseph and Greig on the top 2 right wings.

Gives you a sniper, a playmaker, and a grinder on each line. And each grinder is capable of 40-60 points in theory so you should have a lot of offense from that set up.

Then the 4th line should just be guys who can crash and bang. Guys like Kelly or kastelic when their on their game. Maybe crookshank?
He would be useful as a “depth” sniper in case of injuries though. I’m not advocating for keeping him if we can get any asset back, but depth is good, he can be a 13th until we need him

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'd take literally anything for him. Too slow can't get open to get his shot off. Easy to play against. Like Brannstrom he is not a player any contending team has in their lineup.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Anyone willing to resign this guy for a few pennies and see if he can rebound, or we done here?

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Anyone willing to resign this guy for a few pennies and see if he can rebound, or we done here?

No chance. Actively makes the bottom 6 worse. Does not have the pace or physicality to effectively forecheck or cycle. Can't PK. Lots of guys can take his 2nd PP spot. A real shame they couldn't ship him out early in the season.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If he wants to extend for $1.5 million, that's fine. He's not a liability and a good depth option.

He's played in the bottom 6 and has double digit goals.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If he wants to extend for $1.5 million, that's fine. He's not a liability and a good depth option.

If he was a good depth option at 1.5, he'd have been traded at the deadline, he's terrible, not a fit in the bottom 6 and not good enough to fit in the top 6 on a winning team.

With 1.5, we should be able to find a better fit for a bottom 6 role, someone that can defend, provide energy and kill penalties would be a much better fit.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I expect him to follow in the tradition of underperforming Senators and have a bounce back year next year on a team like Bolts or Cats. He clearly just doesn’t care enough to try very hard here.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

I'm not sure he's a net positive value on the roster, despite the goals.
I'd be willing to keep him on, but he needs to be cheap and be willing to work on filling out his game.

I doubt he's going to do that though, since he's put up really bad numbers with us. I expect he'll want a fresh shot somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad