Player Discussion Dominik Kubalik

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
And to think I got resistance when I was saying "Keep Joseph, trade Kubalik" this summer.

Getting Kubalik was a bit to save face with the DeBrincat trade, but just another it blew up in our face move.
No you didn't anyone who said that was high on crack. It would have cost a 1st rd pick to dump Joseph in the off-season. Moving him instead of Kubalik would have been moronic.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He might not be scoring, but Kubalik is fine in our own end and is legitimate top 9 depth.

Sucks that he's not scoring, but I think he has more value to us if we're trying to make the playoffs than moving him for something. Having said that, if management doesn't see playoffs in the picture, take what you can get for him. Ideally some GM panics (looking at you Holland), and gives us Broberg for him lol

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd like to see Smejkal in the lineup . Given Kubalik a player not know for his defense has been better defensively than offensively and his big shot has not been a threat .. I will be looking to see if Smejkal can replace Kubalik and free up space for Pinto.

Problem is who is taking Kubalik straight up? He could be a fit somewhere , he is not a total dud.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
he really isn't

Joseph is what I would call a good all around player this year
Eh, I’d say Jospeh has been excellent this year . Kubalik is kind of like what good defensive defenders are in terms of always being below the radar.

I would n’t bring him back at this point because we need a guy that has a high level of talent at SOMETHING on the third line, and Kubalik is kind of just there, like many guys over the years that we have had holding places but not really doing much.

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
Eh, I’d say Jospeh has been excellent this year . Kubalik is kind of like what good defensive defenders are in terms of always being below the radar.

I would n’t bring him back at this point because we need a guy that has a high level of talent at SOMETHING on the third line, and Kubalik is kind of just there, like many guys over the years that we have had holding places but not really doing much.
I was hoping Kubalik would evolve into one of those Jacques Martin all-round wingers (Dackell, Arvedson types) that would thrive in a system with 200 ft game.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
What id give to have magnus arvedson on this team

Exactly the type of player this team needs. Strong defensively, can move up and down the lineup, kills penalties.

Would be nice to have a shutdown type line. When Pinto returns, him and Joseph would be a start.

There is a distinct lack of defensively responsible forwards on the team as constructed. Ostapchuck could develop along those lines.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
For a guy that doesn't make a lot of blantently poor defensive plays, his -10 is a bit surprising.

camZ

Jan 28, 2021
Exactly the type of player this team needs. Strong defensively, can move up and down the lineup, kills penalties.

Would be nice to have a shutdown type line. When Pinto returns, him and Joseph would be a start.

There is a distinct lack of defensively responsible forwards on the team as constructed. Ostapchuck could develop along those lines.
Man oh man how the Sens fans dream of Joseph pinto formenton for the next 10 years as line 3 has crumbled lol.

Reactions: DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
No you didn't anyone who said that was high on crack. It would have cost a 1st rd pick to dump Joseph in the off-season. Moving him instead of Kubalik would have been moronic.

Sorry it takes me a while to come back on stuff these days... I guess I was high on crack lol

First time I mentioned it on HF I think (have been more active on another website) was

"Which is one of the reasons why the smartest thing to do would be to trade Kubalik for a pick instead of paying (once again) to move Joseph"

Another post on the same day :

"The smartest thing to get cap compliant would be to trade Kubalik for a pick instead of paying anything to move Joseph's contract"

But my main post about this was on

I posted this last week for the first time on HF but I have pretty much been on this since Tarasenko has been signed. My reasoning :

The smartest thing to get cap compliant would be to trade Kubalik for a pick instead of paying anything to move Joseph's contract

All these guys need PP time :

Thomas Chabot, Jakob Chychrun, Jake Sanderson, Erik Brannstrom, Tim Stutzle, Claude Giroux, Brady Tkachuk, Josh Norris, Drake Batherson, Vladimir Tarasenko, Dominik Kubalik, Shane Pinto and Ridly Greig

13 guys, 10 spots (and 5 of these spots already don't get a lot of minutes)

Joseph plays a big role on the PK and... here's a comparison I made between the 2 players :

Kubalik is a pretty decent offensive player but look at the other Sens players, there won't be a lot of PP time available... Kubalik scored 17 of his 45 pts on the PP last season

Over the last 2 years, Kubalik has 51 ESP despite only missing 5 games. Joseph has 45 ES + PK pts despite missing 39 games...

So Joseph has a better scoring rate at ES (1.58 pts per 60 ES minutes vs 1.53 for Kubalik), is quite better defensively and is a TOP PK forward in the NHL.

What was Ottawa's weakness last season? 5v5, they finished 25th in GF%

Kubalik's contract (1 year vs 2.5 AAV) makes him attractive and would return a decent pick while clearing 2.5 AAV

Joseph's is a cap casualty (3 years vs 2.95 AAV) and would cost a decent pick to move

Plus, Kubalik will want a pretty significant raise if he puts good numbers in Ottawa... something that we won't be able to afford (as we might go after a bigger fish if Tarasenko is not kept) or want (risky contract for Kubalik?)

I know which guy I want traded. Ideally I'd want both but we still have so much dead money, no choice.

This is a NO BRAINER and hope Dorion makes the right decision

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Sorry it takes me a while to come back on stuff these days... I guess I was high on crack lol

First time I mentioned it on HF I think (have been more active on another website) was

"Which is one of the reasons why the smartest thing to do would be to trade Kubalik for a pick instead of paying (once again) to move Joseph"

Another post on the same day :

"The smartest thing to get cap compliant would be to trade Kubalik for a pick instead of paying anything to move Joseph's contract"

But my main post about this was on

I posted this last week for the first time on HF but I have pretty much been on this since Tarasenko has been signed. My reasoning :

The smartest thing to get cap compliant would be to trade Kubalik for a pick instead of paying anything to move Joseph's contract

All these guys need PP time :

Thomas Chabot, Jakob Chychrun, Jake Sanderson, Erik Brannstrom, Tim Stutzle, Claude Giroux, Brady Tkachuk, Josh Norris, Drake Batherson, Vladimir Tarasenko, Dominik Kubalik, Shane Pinto and Ridly Greig

13 guys, 10 spots (and 5 of these spots already don't get a lot of minutes)

Joseph plays a big role on the PK and... here's a comparison I made between the 2 players :

Kubalik is a pretty decent offensive player but look at the other Sens players, there won't be a lot of PP time available... Kubalik scored 17 of his 45 pts on the PP last season

Over the last 2 years, Kubalik has 51 ESP despite only missing 5 games. Joseph has 45 ES + PK pts despite missing 39 games...

So Joseph has a better scoring rate at ES (1.58 pts per 60 ES minutes vs 1.53 for Kubalik), is quite better defensively and is a TOP PK forward in the NHL.

What was Ottawa's weakness last season? 5v5, they finished 25th in GF%

Kubalik's contract (1 year vs 2.5 AAV) makes him attractive and would return a decent pick while clearing 2.5 AAV

Joseph's is a cap casualty (3 years vs 2.95 AAV) and would cost a decent pick to move

Plus, Kubalik will want a pretty significant raise if he puts good numbers in Ottawa... something that we won't be able to afford (as we might go after a bigger fish if Tarasenko is not kept) or want (risky contract for Kubalik?)

I know which guy I want traded. Ideally I'd want both but we still have so much dead money, no choice.

This is a NO BRAINER and hope Dorion makes the right decision
Yes I said anyone who wanted to trade Joseph + an asset was high on crack, trading Kubalik was the smart play if we needed money cleared for Pinto.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Poor guy. Prior to the season he was looking at cashing in on something like 5x3 in the offseason now he is going to be lucky to get something like 2x2

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Remember when some on here were saying this guy would be better for us than DBC? Good times!

Get rid of him yesterday. He's not terrible and probably could be decent as a cheap option alongside an elite player who can set him up cleanly a couple times a game. He can still shoot the puck. Colorado or Edmonton seem like they could be good fits leading up to the deadline.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Remember when some on here were saying this guy would be better for us than DBC? Good times!

Get rid of him yesterday. He's not terrible and probably could be decent as a cheap option alongside an elite player who can set him up cleanly a couple times a game. He can still shoot the puck. Colorado or Edmonton seem like they could be good fits leading up to the deadline.

I thought Kubalik would be better for us than he has been, but he just hasn't fit in at all. I don't think anybody expected him to be on pace for 24 pts and a -34,

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
After Joseph he's out best bottom 6 forward so he's not terrible value for his cap hit. If he's willing to extend for 1 year at his current cap hit I'd be open to keeping him but definitely should get us a something at the deadline

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
After Joseph he's out best bottom 6 forward so he's not terrible value for his cap hit. If he's willing to extend for 1 year at his current cap hit I'd be open to keeping him but definitely should get us a something at the deadline
What???

Ok, so assuming Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Giroux, Stutzle, and lets say Tarasenko are our top 6 forwards, that means you have Kubalik ahead of Greig and Pinto? I don't even have him ahead of Kelly these days....

Reactions: Cosmix and robsenz

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
What???

Ok, so assuming Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Giroux, Stutzle, and lets say Tarasenko are our top 6 forwards, that means you have Kubalik ahead of Greig and Pinto? I don't even have him ahead of Kelly these days....
Major brain fart on my end. Was looking at goals scored and he's apparently 7th for goals amongst our forrwads (but Joseph, Greig and Pinto have less games than him).

I done messed up, trade his ass

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

He's a good option for a rebuilding team, a team in transition or a team that lacks scoring depth but a terrible fit on a team like us that already has so many PP options... exactly like I was saying before the season. We needed more relentless 2-way forwards like Greig or Joseph, not a Kubalik type

Dorion is gone now but scary to think that he might have TARGETED him in the trade...

My list this season :

Giroux
Stutzle
Tkachuk
Batherson
Greig
Joseph
Tarasenko
Norris
(Pinto)
Kubalik

He's not a Top-9 forward on this team and he's less efficient than guys like Kelly and Kastelic on the 4th line (even Chartier and MacEwen have been good lately)

Reactions: New Ed

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode

Yeah, he can definitely shoot the puck and that is always going to be attractive to a team looking for more offense going into the playoffs. He has always been streaky. Teams know that. If you can find a nice fit for him, I can see him scoring some big goals for someone in the playoffs.

That said, even with retention, at this point, the best you are probably going to get for him is a 5th round pick and/or a lower tier prospect.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, he can definitely shoot the puck and that is always going to be attractive to a team looking for more offense going into the playoffs. He has always been streaky. Teams know that. If you can find a nice fit for him, I can see him scoring some big goals for someone in the playoffs.

That said, even with retention, at this point, the best you are probably going to get for him is a 5th round pick and/or a lower tier prospect.
I agree that Kubalik is likely not going to get us much in a trade. He will be gone next season and we will have his $2.5M salary back as available cap dollars to help pay Sanderson's higher salary.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad