Rumor: Dominik Kahun not tendered QO by Buffalo

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
This one seems strange. The QO wasn't that big and how much was arbitration going to award him realistically anyway ? Guess the Sabres are really struggling with money

I would guesstimate arbitration between $2.6m and $3.0m.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
But... Isn't Kahun good?

He’s 25 and arbitration eligible.

He p,Ayer a season for Chicago, most of season with Pittsburgh, thrn a few games with buffalo.

He likely wanted a long contract at $3M+. Buffalo hasn’t seen much of him and offered a 1 yr $1.5M contract and he said no.

Buffalo also may trade

Montour for a winger/center
And Miller for a LD
Thrn look to sign a top 9 forward

Long term buffalo is looking at top 9 players as

Echel
Skinner
Olofsson
Reinhart
Cozens
A player they sign/acquire this offseason
1 yr from now
Mittlestadt
Quinn

THey can fill roster with shorter term.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Sabres got to keep this player in my opinion. If they get it done another way then great, but Kahun shouldn't be that expensive for what he can bring to the team.

It's guys like him who the Sabres have been lacking in recent years. Good depth players that can play up and down in the lineup.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Sabres got to keep this player in my opinion. If they get it done another way then great, but Kahun shouldn't be that expensive for what he can bring to the team.

It's guys like him who the Sabres have been lacking in recent years. Good depth players that can play up and down in the lineup.

They can still sign him before UFA starts.

It’s likely they didn’t want yo play with arbitration and wanted to negotiate

In Chicago he was 13-34-37 in 82 and in buffalo/Pittsburgh it was 12-19-32 in 56 games.

69 in 138
A 0.5 ppg player

He could get $3.5M+in arbitration. Buffalo probably wants him around $2.25M

Say for olofsson, Reinhart, and Ullmark is around $12M combined
Buffalo thrn is based on cap friendly

8/5/2 with $20M in space
Cozens on team
CJ Smith is 14F
Borgen is 3RD
11/6/2 with $17M in space

Montour RFA could be traded for a F around same money $3.5M
Miller as one of 6D could be traded for a bottom LD a little cheaper
Use one of their ELCs as 4th liner who is under $1M in that vacated space gained from Miller trade. Or if they sign Kahun for $2M which costs a $1m more.

So 13/7/2 with about $14M in space

They have space to be a player in teams unloading higher contracts.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

No, they don't.
Botterill is no longer GM, Adams is at the helm now, new GM, new game plan. Nothing shocking really.
Decent player? Yea, he's ok, nothing spectacular, but a serviceable 3/4 line guy.

Reactions: _Del_

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
No, they don't.
Botterill is no longer GM, Adams is at the helm now, new GM, new game plan. Nothing shocking really.
Decent player? Yea, he's ok, nothing spectacular, but a serviceable 3/4 line guy.

I certainly hope Adams' plan isn't to plug the middle 6 with shitty players.

Reactions: seagull

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Oilers should be all over this. I bet Leon is in Hollands ear already, these two grew up and played together.

Part of the first wave of German to hit the NHL in the last while.

I’ve like Kahun for awhile this is a bit perplexing.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Oilers should be all over this. I bet Leon is in Hollands ear already, these two grew up and played together.

Part of the first wave of German to hit the NHL in the last while.

I’ve like Kahun for awhile this is a bit perplexing.

Why would you want Kahun playing with Leon? Kahun would bring Leon down. Kahun is a 3rd line player at best, and I'm a fan of Kahun. I would never want him playing with Eichel.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
He’s 25 and arbitration eligible.

He p,Ayer a season for Chicago, most of season with Pittsburgh, thrn a few games with buffalo.

He likely wanted a long contract at $3M+. Buffalo hasn’t seen much of him and offered a 1 yr $1.5M contract and he said no.

Buffalo also may trade

Montour for a winger/center
And Miller for a LD
Thrn look to sign a top 9 forward

Long term buffalo is looking at top 9 players as

Echel
Skinner
Olofsson
Reinhart
Cozens
A player they sign/acquire this offseason
1 yr from now
Mittlestadt
Quinn

THey can fill roster with shorter term.
Peterka

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Why would you want Kahun playing with Leon? Kahun would bring Leon down. Kahun is a 3rd line player at best, and I'm a fan of Kahun.

Pretty harsh take.

I don´t know if I would play Kahun with Leon either, but that's only a chemistry thing.

Kahun so far:
138 NHL games
0.49 PPG
+18
only 14 PIM
50 % more takeaways than giveaways

All of this with only 13 min TOI.

Just a very smart player overall. Not a game-breaker, but pretty much perfect depth for any contender imo.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
They can still sign him before UFA starts.

It’s likely they didn’t want yo play with arbitration and wanted to negotiate
Why in the world would he sign with them before tomorrow?

He didn't like their offer and they don't even want to pay him what arbitration would award or make an offer that might come close to that. At this point it's clear he wants more than they want to offer. Might as well go to free agency.

Reactions: seagull

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Pretty harsh take.

I don´t know if I would play Kahun with Leon either, but that's only a chemistry thing.

Kahun so far:
138 NHL games
0.49 PPG
+18
only 14 PIM
50 % more takeaways than giveaways

All of this with only 13 min TOI.

Just a very smart player overall. Not a game-breaker, but pretty much perfect depth for any contender imo.

He's played 138 games and he is 25 years old, on his third team after getting benched then traded by Pitt.

It's not like he is a .5 PPG player at 22 years old on an entry level deal.

Kahun has been with 3 teams now and there seems to be a consensus on what he can bring. A guy that can play around 13 minutes of even strength on the 3rd line and put up 35 points. There just seems to be a lot of those guys in the NHL, almost too many.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
His cap hip would only be 837k. This is beyond baffling. Sabres better already have a contract worked out or this is just plain stupidity

No, it can do to arbitration for much more and for two years. Depending on $ amount, Sabres could also not walk away.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Agreed. Some good players too!

I guess every dollar count due to a decrease in $ because of COVID.
Ya, what isn't talked about too much is this year would be the 2nd year of lower revenue as I don't imagine a lot of money was made in the 2019-20 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad