News Article: Domingue Drama - Louis Talks About the Trade and His Future

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Kind of a dick move making him stay at home waiting to be traded. Does that happen a lot?

Depends on how the news was delivered. "Go away" or "Hey we think we can find you a new home despite clearing, hang tight."

Still, it's not a good look. And the dude went from one of the worst organizations in the game to one of the best.

Cheering for him.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Kind of a dick move making him stay at home waiting to be traded. Does that happen a lot?

I dunno. I'm still trying to figure out what really upset Louie - the fact that the team wasn't going to pay for his practice time while they were working on the trade, or the fact that he wasn't allowed to go practice with the Roadrunners in Tucson. I mean, neither one is really a fantastic move for Chayka, no matter how badly Domingue crapped the bed after that Ducks game. But the latter makes a bit of sense considering they already had three goalies down there at the time, and for a team with no money it makes little sense to pay a guy to cool his heels with the farm team if he's going to be traded anyway.

I think Louie's a bit of a drama queen, personally, and if you pair that with an NHL franchise whose owner has no money and a GM who loves data so much that he might as well be a computer - and it shows in the way he treats people - you get a recipe for exactly the mess that ended up happening.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
No matter how you cut it, and no matter how much Domingue is or is not a primadonna, not allowing Domingue, a professional athlete, the opportunity to work out on Coyote ice was a dick move.

Players talk about this stuff and the team worsens its reputation among players by pulling stunts like this.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I dunno. I'm still trying to figure out what really upset Louie - the fact that the team wasn't going to pay for his practice time while they were working on the trade, or the fact that he wasn't allowed to go practice with the Roadrunners in Tucson. I mean, neither one is really a fantastic move for Chayka, no matter how badly Domingue crapped the bed after that Ducks game. But the latter makes a bit of sense considering they already had three goalies down there at the time, and for a team with no money it makes little sense to pay a guy to cool his heels with the farm team if he's going to be traded anyway.

I think Louie's a bit of a drama queen, personally, and if you pair that with an NHL franchise whose owner has no money and a GM who loves data so much that he might as well be a computer - and it shows in the way he treats people - you get a recipe for exactly the mess that ended up happening.
Not sure what the Coyotes did wrong here. He was the worst goalie (statistically) in the NHL, Chayka had to make an in season move (Wedgewood) to replace him. When he was waived, we all knew he would no longer play for this franchise.....but was still getting paid his $1,050,000 salary.

Again, wish him well....but come on.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
No matter how you cut it, and no matter how much Domingue is or is not a primadonna, not allowing Domingue, a professional athlete, the opportunity to work out on Coyote ice was a dick move.

Absolutely a dick move, but also understandable if you think of it corporately. The guy had passed through waivers and was essentially "fired" from the team. In business, if you fire or lay off a guy, you don't let him hang around the cubicles for a while to chat with his buddies or steal the Post-It notes. Having Louie work out with the Coyotes, knowing he's being traded, would have been a tad awkward and a hell of a distraction for a group of young players.

Let me state in no uncertain terms that I hate hate hate the way this franchise has treated their players, from John Scott to Shane Doan to Louis Domingue to everyone else in between. I'm just saying that, really, paying for some ice time wasn't a financial hardship for the guy, so why should he turn it into As the World Turns?

Last edited:

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Good points. He has kind of come off a bit dramatic before, but it's hard to tell if it's due to his passion for the game or if it's a characteristic tendency, so I can't comment on that. Thinking back, however, didn't we waive Chipchura and make him sit out of practices? The only time he was spotted were community events if i can recall, because we all started to freak out a bit due to some pictures the Coyotes posted on social media of him on a playground. Yet i don't remember there ever being a peep about him practicing or working out with the team. Maybe this is common? Who knows. Still sucks to hear how diminished he felt. I always liked him as a person.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm just saying that, really, paying for some ice time wasn't a financial hardship for the guy, so why turn it into As the World Turns?

The organization did an unnecessarily shitty thing that reflects poorly on them. Talking about it is normal.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The organization did an unnecessarily ****ty thing that reflects poorly on them. Talking about it is normal.

Sorry, was unclear in my original post - I meant that Louis was the one blowing this up into a potentially career-ending moment. Makes for a good SBNation article, I guess.

Interesting omission to Louie's interview.

Having grown up in Indiana, I don't really blame Louis for not wanting to fly to Fort Wayne for a couple of days just to get his reps in. :D But it's not like he was being told to stay on his couch.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The fact that Louie was offered a spot to play while they looked for another home for them is enough. It was Louie who refused to go, sit in Phoenix and toss a tantrum.

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You seemed okay with it then.

I still am. If he refuses his assignment, he gives up the right to complain. That doesn't make him having to pay for his own ice any less dumb. Let him practice with Tucson for a few days. It won't end the world. It prevents a dumb headline from being put out there. It's such a simple thing, yet they found a way. His punishment was ultimately a trade to a much better organization, just like Duclair.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
It's business and he's lucky to have been in it. That article had the same victim tone he took on in post game interviews for the last while. "...I almost quit hockey." Get real.

Reactions: Yandover

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
This is a headline story in F40.......yet no mention on the Tampa page. Says a lot about where these 2 organizations are right now.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Can't argue with that. I guess we've heard only his side. Don't know what his attitude was at the time.

His attitude was that he is better than the ECHL and it turns out he was correct.

Every time the Coyotes try to play the part of the hardass organization, the bluff gets called. You can't threaten someone who finds every outcome (the 'punishment' for noncompliance) preferable to playing for your organization. Being bad can, if unchecked, slide into what we can call the "Edmonton Abyss", except with zero external pressure (city doesn't care) and a lot less money. It goes from "this organization can at least give me icetime and let me have an impact" to "playing here will ultimately be bad for my career" real quick. It isn't any one thing that turns players, it's a pileup of nonsense. This is one more on the pile, just like John Scott, Shane Doan, Duclair, Downie's injury etc...

Reactions: _Del_

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Every time the Coyotes try to play the part of the hardass organization, the bluff gets called. You can't threaten someone who finds every outcome (the 'punishment' for noncompliance) preferable to playing for your organization. Being bad can, if unchecked, slide into what we can call the "Edmonton Abyss", except with zero external pressure (city doesn't care) and a lot less money. It goes from "this organization can at least give me icetime and let me have an impact" to "playing here will ultimately be bad for my career" real quick. It isn't any one thing that turns players, it's a pileup of nonsense. This is one more on the pile, just like John Scott, Shane Doan, Duclair, Downie's injury etc...

This is also what you get when your team owner treats his franchise like a thing to be put in a trophy case.

Contrast this with Dundon in Carolina, a guy cut from the same cloth as Mark Cuban. I don't blame 'Canes fans for being thrilled out of their minds about that guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad