Confirmed with Link: Dom Simon Likely Not Receiving Qualifying Offer

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If you think I haven't criticized JR for the last 3 years you're a lunatic.
JR the last few years seems like someone’s had his ear and using his normal stupidity against him. He makes some bad moves here and there but to change the make up of the roster just feels like he's had another bloke (my take will always be coach because he has heavily made moves based on his usage too). Which is why the last 3yrs I've wanted Sully gone and have quietly wondered when JR would f*** off to vocally joining your Gurgling sons ass in this now as well. It's just tiring to see such shitty management from GM to to coach for so long.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
That's pretty odd, honestly. I'm not the biggest Simon fan, but he's an NHLer at least and has some skill. Really weird.

And like 1200 other guys in North American are an NHLer at least. This is one of those...'well, a bottom six player left, and oh, wait, there is a billion more to come in, so whatever' things.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Not that I'm the biggest Simon fan in the world, but I'm a little surprised by this. I would think, at minimum, you qualify him, then don't guarantee a roster spot at camp. Send him through waivers if he doesn't make the cut.

Might be that his shoulder's worse than we probably thought it was or is on a longer recovery timeline than the Penguins were comfortable with. I'm ~10 months out from shoulder impingement and ac joint separation and I'm just now--as in this last week--able to do chest-flys and bench presses again without any noteworthy pain (it fatigues early, but I think that's mostly just from lack of use in those movements). I didn't end up needing surgery and I'm not trying to play a pro-level contact sport, so I guess it's not too much of a reach to think his recovery would be longer than mine was and that a team wouldn't want to wait that long for basically a journeyman.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I wonder if the shoulder injury/surgery Will affect his shot? If so, that’s not good considering his shot was sub AHL level.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
He can play in the NHL but really is a definition of meh. Playable in the TOP6 but you don't want him there, neither you want to give Sullivan that option. Playable in the bottom6, but you can find that level of a bottom6er everywhere for almost a league minimum and you don't want him to block more interesting talents. Good riddance I guess, even though I would love to receive some 5th round pick for him but whatever.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
The silver lining here is this increases Poulin's chances of making the squad.

That being said, I don't see how Simon is any worse than Sceviour.
He is tho. Not as an overall player maybe, because in TOP6 he is better than Sceviour. But in the bottom6 Sceviour is better than Simon. You still don't want Simon in the TOP6 tho. So you choose Sceviour over him for the bottom6. Easy.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Maybe it will affect his shot, but like in SMB, it'll actually go so far into the negatives, it becomes powerful thanks to a buffer overflow, and he'll come out blasting Al MacInnis slapshots from the red line?

Backhanded. From the bench. Crosby gives up the C for him.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
He can play in the NHL but really is a definition of meh. Playable in the TOP6 but you don't want him there, neither you want to give Sullivan that option. Playable in the bottom6, but you can find that level of a bottom6er everywhere for almost a league minimum and you don't want him to block more interesting talents. Good riddance I guess, even though I would love to receive some 5th round pick for him but whatever.
That's another big plus here. The option being taken away. I'll be relieved when it's confirmed that Sheary's not returning for this reason.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If he had any trade value, someone would throw a late pick for his RFA rights. He's a borderline NHLer who is now coming off a major injury. Good on JR to get rid of him.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
If he had any trade value, someone would throw a late pick for his RFA rights. He's a borderline NHLer who is now coming off a major injury. Good on JR to get rid of him.
It feels like he's been around for so long that he wouldn't qualify for RFA status. But he's definitely not a borderline NHLer.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
But he's definitely not a borderline NHLer.

Yes....he is. Especially coming off major shoulder surgery. That's why he is not getting a QO. If the team is afraid of him being awarded $1.5 million in arbitration, he's a borderline NHLer who can be replaced by easily someone on an ELC.

I'll say the same thing that I said about guys like Erik Christensen, Michel Ouellet, etc that some fans were all upset about getting rid of. He'll be out of the NHL within 3 years.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
It feels like he's been around for so long that he wouldn't qualify for RFA status. But he's definitely not a borderline NHLer.
IMO, he is a borderline NHLer. There are teams where he would find a place. Then there are teams where he would be a 13th forward. Like here. You can use him in every role when needed. For a league minimum, fine. But he is not gonna want a League minimum and does very little for bottom6 and we should all be scared from Sullivan playing him next to Sid. I just don't see a reason why we should even consider him for anything more than league minimum. Borderline NHLer, it is.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't think Simon's really borderline either, he's just not the greatest fit on this team anymore.

But I think it's probably a moot point and that he'll end up going back to the Extraliga if he doesn't get signed in the next few weeks.

Reactions: NMK11

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I think some people are also really undervaluing how serious his injury could be. Max Talbot went from being a premier bottom 6 player to essentially useless from a very similar injury. Luckily for Max, he got paid before the league caught on.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
One positive aspect of this off-season is we're getting rid of a lot of high injury risk players.

Sad to say, but Hornqvist has had his bell rung too many times for comfort, and continues to play the same reckless style. I'm scared he'll end up like Franzen post-career, who's daily life is a nightmare. For his health and for his family's sake, I wish he'd hang em up soon. He has nothing more to prove.

We traded Bjugstad, who barely played last year and his back problems could be career altering.

Simon's coming off major surgery. Who knows how his shoulder will hold up from here? It's not like he wasn't missing time before this happened either.

Then there's Schultz, who's missed 95 games to injury the last 3 seasons.

Lastly, Murray will get traded too. With how frail of a build he has, to me it's inevitable he will have injury problems his whole career.

---------------------

It's hard to deny that we've taken steps to be healthier next year. I'm sure the injury gnome will still find a way though.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also, lol, my neighbor just asked me if I knew what was up with Dom Simon not getting a contract.

Czechs care so much about dumb things sometimes.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not that I'm the biggest Simon fan in the world, but I'm a little surprised by this. I would think, at minimum, you qualify him, then don't guarantee a roster spot at camp. Send him through waivers if he doesn't make the cut.

Might be that his shoulder's worse than we probably thought it was or is on a longer recovery timeline than the Penguins were comfortable with. I'm ~10 months out from shoulder impingement and ac joint separation and I'm just now--as in this last week--able to do chest-flys and bench presses again without any noteworthy pain (it fatigues early, but I think that's mostly just from lack of use in those movements). I didn't end up needing surgery and I'm not trying to play a pro-level contact sport, so I guess it's not too much of a reach to think his recovery would be longer than mine was and that a team wouldn't want to wait that long for basically a journeyman.

The concern is what he's going to get in arbitration. They don't want to pay a player an arbitration award on a 1-way deal to play in the AHL, especially during a pandemic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad