Rumor: Dolan rumored to be selling Rangers/Knicks after Vegas MSG Sphere completes

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Yes but that's on Sather, not on Dolan.
Right, that's why I am conflicted on Dolan as an owner; good for Rangers in terms of his open pockets, bad that he was so far removed (again in the eyes of the public, what do I truly know) he let Sather do whatever he wanted at all times for that long.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Right, that's why I am conflicted on Dolan as an owner; good for Rangers in terms of his open pockets, bad that he was so far removed (again in the eyes of the public, what do I truly know) he let Sather do whatever he wanted at all times for that long.
At what point do you think it's appropriate for a trust fund billionaire to override the architect of the 80s Oilers?

That's a literal question, by the way. Let's say Dolan stepped in and fired Sather. When was it appropriate?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
At what point do you think it's appropriate for a trust fund billionaire to override the architect of the 80s Oilers?

That's a literal question, by the way. Let's say Dolan stepped in and fired Sather. When was it appropriate?
before the 2005 season.

Not only appropriate, but DESERVED

Reactions: DialUp

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't think this will necessarily be bad. Whoever can afford to buy the Rangers will already have a disgusting amount of money and likely won't penny-pinch the team -- they certainly won't need to.

Then again, the Steinbrenner's have been doing that with the Yankees as of late.

Reactions: pld459666

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
So you want ownership making the call to fire a legendary GM after 4 seasons?
Yes. After four absolutely disastrous seasons where he was provided a blank check book and shit the bed completely??

Absolutely.

No GM in the league was ever as lucky as he was to start his career with the roster he had in Edmonton.

He was average at best as a GM

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't think this will necessarily be bad. Whoever can afford to buy the Rangers will already have a disgusting amount of money and likely won't penny-pinch the team -- they certainly won't need to.

Then again, the Steinbrenner's have been doing that with the Yankees as of late.
All depends on whether it's someone who'd keep in place or hire people to run the team effectively or someone who wants to buy a team and then act like they know how to make hockey decisions and override their GM etc

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

Despite being historically bad for 20+ seasons the knicks are still the most valuable basketball team. If the knicks ever become good just look what happened to the value of the warriors. It would not surprise me for the kicks to get sold to an organization that will focus on fixing the knicks hoping to sell high while delegating the rangers to the marketing staff.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Yes. After four absolutely disastrous seasons where he was provided a blank check book and shit the bed completely??

Absolutely.

No GM in the league was ever as lucky as he was to start his career with the roster he had in Edmonton.

He was average at best as a GM
I'd rather be the Rangers, giving Slats a long leash, than the Knicks driving out Phil Jackson in the analogous situation.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Dolan is underappreciated as Rangers owner. This would not be good news
100% this. I know he sucks as the Knicks owner but as far as hockey goes, he's one of the best owners in the league. The whole JD/JG thing was a bit of a mess that could have been handled better but even though he handled it poorly, Dolan wasn't wrong.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC

After the Trottier disaster, objectively in my opinion.

If not then, subjectively, after signing Drury and Gomez and letting Nylander, then eventually Jagr walk. If not that, then allowing Torts to banish Gaborik.

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020

Looks like he is spinning the Sphere and TAO Hospitality out from MSGE, which includes The Garden, Radio City and other venues as well as the MSG TV networks. The split doesn't involve MSGS which owns the Rangers and Knicks. So if it goes through, their will be 3 companies, MSG Entertainment, MSG Sports and MSG Sphere, but I suspect when all is said and done the Dolan Family Trust will still own the voting Majority of all the companies.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

Looks like he is spinning the Sphere and TAO Hospitality out from MSGE, which includes The Garden, Radio City and other venues as well as the MSG TV networks. The split doesn't involve MSGS which owns the Rangers and Knicks. So if it goes through, their will be 3 companies, MSG Entertainment, MSG Sports and MSG Sphere, but I suspect when all is said and done the Dolan Family Trust will still own the voting Majority of all the companies.
No one will buy the Knicks or Rangers without full control.

Imagine telling some billionaire that they can’t play with the toy they own.

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020

Bill Gates already owns 3% of the Knicks and Rangers, as MSG Sports is a publicly traded company and anyone can buy it. But yeah, if the Dolan Family ever sold out(which they are not), it would include their voting rights.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Bill Gates already owns 3% of the Knicks and Rangers, as MSG Sports is a publicly traded company and anyone can buy it. But yeah, if the Dolan Family ever sold out(which they are not), it would include their voting rights.
Well yeah. But the premise of the thread is that Dolan will be selling the team, not some small percentage of shares that the Dolans own.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
not a surprise, owning NYR/NYK is obviously prestigious and makes money but it's very restrictive to Dolan's ability to do things with the rest of MSG. there's a ton of stuff in the agreements between the league on how much debt parent companies can take on (which is vital for expansions/upgrades/changes) etc. sports are also very mature and have limited true growth potential.

if the sphere is anywhere as good as it should be Dolan would be wise to sell out.
He controls the content of the entertainment side. not so much on the sports side.
Content is where the growth is.
Dolan does not like to share.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

The Wilpons tried that with Uncle Steve and he told them to f*** off. Now, Uncle Steve owns the majority of the team and he does whatever he wants to do.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
The Wilpons tried that with Uncle Steve and he told them to f*** off. Now, Uncle Steve owns the majority of the team and he does whatever he wants to do.
If the Wilpons really wanted to mess with Cohen they could replace the SNY booth. I could see Jeff trying to pull something like that.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
As the Knicks owner, Dolan's one of the worst owners in the NBA; he gets way too involved for his own good. As the Rangers owner, as others said, he's very underappreciated. Yeah, he may not be liked as a person, but at least he is smart enough to let the hockey people run the Rangers, while he signs the paychecks.

What I would fear with a new owner is an owner like Thomas Dundon, who bought the Canes. We don't need someone like that meddling in every single detail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad