Rumor: Dolan rumored to be selling Rangers/Knicks after Vegas MSG Sphere completes

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Since I don’t give two shits about the Knicks I kinda hope this isn’t true. If it is, come on down Uncle Stevie.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Can you explain this to me like I'm a high school freshmen?
Dolan/MSG properties having a stake in the Rangers/Knicks limited their ability to do certain corporate things because they're governed by the agreements with the league. This is to protect the financial health of the teams from overzealous owners. Dolan/MSG have wanted to build new properties like both spheres for years but had a hard time navigating the politics of it when MSG was one company (it's now two) for this reason. Spinning off MSG sports as its own company freed them to do a lot more to expand the company.

Unrelated to it, sports, even rich teams, are not money printers. it's a very mature industry that has limited ability to grow revenue. The Rangers/Knicks make a ton of money but MSG is restricted in their ability to do things with the MSG arena itself while they are tenants under MSG ownership. Dolan has clearly identified that the key revenue growth source is live entertainment and sports is getting to be not worth the hassle.

I don't think i explained this well but yeah

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
If he does sell keep an eye on WME-IMG, AND Endeavor. They have quite a presence in NY. Company is a Monster and have been providing celebs to visit the Garden for decades. They will be in on it if Dolan sells.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I’m still not seeing how you sell and get full values for the franchises without selling the arena too. And what’s stopping whoever buys these teams to throw up the middle finger to MSG the arena and build their own arena?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I’m still not seeing how you sell and get full values for the franchises without selling the arena too. And what’s stopping whoever buys these teams to throw up the middle finger to MSG the arena and build their own arena?
the significant tax breaks that MSG gets. it would be an extreme, daunting cost to build a new arena in the metro area.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Governments, the public, etc.

Dolan is strange in that being relatively hands off in the eyes of the public (which is a positive in relation to NYK), he gave free reign to Sather fcking the team up big time in the dark ages. We got very lucky with the Jagr resurgence and Lundqvist (and the cap reigned Sather in to be honest).

At the same time, he was willing to spend absolutely anything since in comparison to a bench player on the Knicks, hockey players are welfare recipients. Players WANT to come here because its all the perks of the high life without any of the drama.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Dolan made some serious cash this last playoff run....may milk Rangers till next rebuild

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
the significant tax breaks that MSG gets. it would be an extreme, daunting cost to build a new arena in the metro area.

Of course and I know Jimmy has got different politicians in his back pocket but I can’t help but wonder what happens if new owners get the teams and get someone on their side to stick it to MSG over the Penn Station and tax abatement shit.

I guess anyone buying the teams is doing it to watch the values go up over time and isn’t as concerned about money but I just keep cycling back to the franchises being as valuable as they are due to their ties to the arena.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Governments, the public, etc.

Dolan is strange in that being relatively hands off in the eyes of the public (which is a positive in relation to NYK), he gave free reign to Sather fcking the team up big time in the dark ages. We got very lucky with the Jagr resurgence and Lundqvist (and the cap reigned Sather in to be honest).

At the same time, he was willing to spend absolutely anything since in comparison to a bench player on the Knicks, hockey players are welfare recipients. Players WANT to come here because its all the perks of the high life without any of the drama.
While I certainly had my issues with Sather, he is one of the most accomplished GMs in the history of the league. Ownership getting him and giving him a blank checkbook 20 years to work with should be everything you want as a fan.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
While I certainly had my issues with Sather, he is one of the most accomplished GMs in the history of the league. Ownership getting him and giving him a blank checkbook 20 years to work with should be everything you want as a fan.
Sather did some dumb stuff man.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Sather was a joke and should have been fired before the teams played their first game after the 2005 Lockout.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
The 2018 letter was an epic embarassment.

The letter and the direction the letter stated was long overdue. It's worked out fine so far. Still, the prospects obtained during that time need to take their next steps, but things are heading in the right direction.

As someone said, it debunks the myth that you can't rebuild in New York; even the NY Yankees had a sell off in 2016 when they middling along in the standings. Fans, or at least the close followers, can understand when a rebuild is necessary and are willing to be patient. Does it guarantee future success, no, and teams have to develop those assets, prospects properly. But it gives a team a much needed change of direction and something to look forward to as (hopefully) the prospects/younger players develop.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Dolan as owner of the Rangers has been good. Deep pockets, signs the checks and rarely ever causes issues.

A new owner makes me anxious cause these are essentially expensive toys for these guys and they always want to have their say. Dolan is self aware enough to be hands off and let hockey people do their thing.

Be careful what you wish for on this one.

Reactions: NYRfan85 and Lua

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
I disagree with this as well.

Wilson is a known POS and they didn't handle that situation very well (the league) I would hope to see more teams call out the incompetence of the Player Safety douche-bags
No, it certainly wasn't handled well by the league, but making it public also inspired most of the league to laugh at us.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
No, it certainly wasn't handled well by the league, but making it public also inspired most of the league to laugh at us.
The definition of a nothing burger is that it doesn't need to be handled, thus can't be handled poorly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad