Rumor: Dolan rumored to be selling Rangers/Knicks after Vegas MSG Sphere completes

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Is Dolan a good owner?

What's the difference in Dolan approach between the Knicks and Rangers?

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
In the end the letter ended up working out for the team. Gorton wouldn’t have got us to this point
Yeah but that’s all hindsight. At the time of that letter, no one would have known that, and at the time, JD and Gorton both shouldn’t have been fired. I’m not upset in the slightest since it all worked out fine.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The 2018 letter was an epic embarassment.
How? It was more transparent than most teams around here. Also it put to bed the stupid "you can't rebuild in NY" myth that the national media literally manufactured (the Rangers have done at least 4-5 rebuilds since the Emile Francis days).

Dolan's been mostly fine since the 2005-06 reboot. The Rangers have been entertaining and one of the better run teams in the league. Sure there is some nitpicky stuff (elite forward development, Hartford issues, and that period when prospects 7-8 prospects left) but Drury seems to slowly be addressing it.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Should have made it this:

Edit - beaten to it, and how the f*** do you attach copied pictures now?
Madison_Cube_Garden.jpg

Click on Insert Image (or hit Cntrl-P) and switch to the Link tab.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Good! How about someone who doesn't have bosom buddies?

Isiah, Scott Mills, Glen Sather, Chris Drury

Big if true. New York teams don’t come up for sale very often. Plenty of deep pocketed bidders would be lining up and both teams would set league records.

Yep. If Dolan does indeed sell, it's going to be for a record amount. The Knicks itself may set a new record, as they've been consistently valued as the most valuable franchise in the NBA. The Rangers have been either 1 or 2 in the NHL, so they'll set the record for the NHL. Couple all of that with the fact that MSG doesn't pay taxes and you may see a whoooole lot of moolah flying around.

I wonder if Steve Cohen gets involved?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The 2018 letter was an epic embarassment.
How? It was more transparent than most teams around here. Also it put to bed the stupid "you can't rebuild in NY" myth that the national media literally manufactured (the Rangers have done at least 4-5 rebuilds since the Emile Francis days).

Dolan's been mostly fine since the 2005-06 reboot. The Rangers have been entertaining and one of the better run teams in the league. Sure there is some nitpicky stuff (elite forward development, Hartford issues, and that period when prospects 7-8 prospects left) but Drury seems to slowly be addressing it.
Yeah, I'm curious as to how the 2018 letter was an embarrassment?

They let the fan base know the direction they were going. I'm not sure what was embarrassing about that.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Mixed feelings as a Rangers fan about this... Would hope someone like Steve Cohen ponies up and buys them both should they be up for sale.

Reactions: Richard Banger

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
not a surprise, owning NYR/NYK is obviously prestigious and makes money but it's very restrictive to Dolan's ability to do things with the rest of MSG. there's a ton of stuff in the agreements between the league on how much debt parent companies can take on (which is vital for expansions/upgrades/changes) etc. sports are also very mature and have limited true growth potential.

if the sphere is anywhere as good as it should be Dolan would be wise to sell out.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
We’ll see. I remember sportswriters like Wallace Mathews telling us the Steinbrenner family would sell the Yankees once George died. Seems to me sports franc are a gold mine. Yes you can get a lot of money for them. But you also have a steady income stream.
Still the Dolans are often an embarrassment even though they tend to leave the Rangers alone. But so are a lot of other owners.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
not a surprise, owning NYR/NYK is obviously prestigious and makes money but it's very restrictive to Dolan's ability to do things with the rest of MSG. there's a ton of stuff in the agreements between the league on how much debt parent companies can take on (which is vital for expansions/upgrades/changes) etc. sports are also very mature and have limited true growth potential.

if the sphere is anywhere as good as it should be Dolan would be wise to sell out.

Can you explain this to me like I'm a high school freshmen?

Reactions: leetch99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad