GDT: Dogs VS Cats 6PM (MST) @ Gila Monster..I mean River Arena

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's only one game, so don't get to excited, but Hodgman played very well and deserved everything he got, and I think he has DT attention. Happy Gagne finally got a point, he also played well. Another young player, Murphy, I thought played very well.

Agreed on Murphy, he played very well defensively and wielded a very good stick. Best game I've seen from him so far.

(As for Hodge, if you factor in the preseason games where he scored all those points, it's more than one game. :naughty:)

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
Overall, I thought the game was better than the early pages of this indicate. 11+ minutes for Hodgman is NOTHING to complain about, given that we were on the PP for nearly a period.

Yandle's first turnover I could nearly forgive after 3:45 straight of ice time, but it was still a blunder. The second was bad. Just fell victim to a good forecheck. OEL's wrister is as good as anyones. Gagner was good all around.

Would of liked to win 5-1, but I'll take it.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Back from the game. Breezed through the GDT and had to laugh at the gloom and doom early in the game. I actually thought we played really pretty well. The major exceptions were, of course, Keith Yandle's two stupendous brainfades, which I'll admit had me ready to slit my wrists.

Hodgman, though. Remember when people were all over those of us who were mad about him getting scratched and sent down, saying how he hadn't earned his spot even though he'd scored all those points in preseason? Remember them spinning the whole thing about him not having a point in Portland? Oh, the schadenfreude right now is so delicious. Hodgman could have actually had a second goal if he had been able to settle a bouncing puck about 2 minutes after his first one.

Twitter was flooded with Canadian folks like Elliotte Friedman and Mike Commodore making note of Hodgman's goal. And Anthony LeBlanc seemed pretty happy about it too.

Also - Sam Gagner finally gets the monkey off his back and gets his first point. He had an absolutely SICK dangle earlier in the game bringing the puck into the zone (2nd period?) but his drop pass got muffed by the trailer. I think he's settling in.

Oh, and I really wish someone would have flattened Scottie Upshall after he crosschecked Connor Murphy with no penalty, but a loss is as good as a bloody nose for him, I suppose.

If Hodgman plays like that and produces points, he won't be sent back down. Once Hanzal is back, I still see Hodgman staying up. Moss will be out for a while regardless.

I thought we played well, and most importantly Smith looked good again, 2 games in a row he has been solid. We out shot another opponent, who would have thought that. We still need to cut down on some turnovers, Yandle's was the only one in the back of our net tonight but there were several others. Out PP had lots of opportunities and finally scored twice.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I really hope that this get's Gagner going. We really need the "offensive" players we do have in the lineup every night to start producing...hopefully Tipp will see that he needs some players with a little more finish

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
Agree with the comments.

Went to the game (section 230 row d)

Was rooting for the new number 12 all game. Had some flourishes but then the penalty. Thought the slashing call was particularly weak. Glad nothing came of it. He had a very good game. Loved the reaction when he finally scored. Gagner will come around. He is doing the right things, it is just a matter of time. Thought Murphy had his strongest game yet. Watched OEL and he has really not been his usual error free self. Many errors both in positioning and play. Its like he has gotten Yandle's mindset where offense can make up for defensive gaffes. Not buying it. Stone is fighting the puck. Where he should be stop and shoot he is bobbling the puck. Seems nervous. Noticed Z was hitting more than usual as well. If someone came in on his side he was ensuring they knew he was there even if it was just a tap. It also seemed the team sensed Smitty's fragile mindset and was playing more more defensively aware. Almost like they were playing in front of the backup and not the starter. More active sticks and blocks.

Miss Upshall. When playing against Murphy he was doing his best to intimidate despite the size difference. He is still plays bigger than his size. Say what you will about Luongo he is quality. There is no putting one past him from the perimeter, you HAVE to have traffic in front or he will get it. Solid game for the Panthers goaltender.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Fun game to be at. My combo of Yandle jersey and black hat is undefeated! Didn't get to wear it to the blues game because the hat was in a box from the move.

Good game all around. There were very sloppy moments but Hodgmans goal was the difference maker. So happy for him. Hope I never see Dave moss on the ice, unless he is in the Howler costume

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Fun game. Really great to watch.

Murphy looks like he's coming around. *PHEW* we need that.

Hopefully this goal gets OEL right. Until the third period, he's seemed...unfocused?...this season. Hopefully this wakes him up for good.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hopefully this goal gets OEL right. Until the third period, he's seemed...unfocused?...this season. Hopefully this wakes him up for good.

top-us.png

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Pretty good game all around. Like everyone else has said, great to see the smile on Hodgman’s face, and great to see Gagner get his first point. Now that Gagner has that monkey off his back, I think we’ll see a decent flow of offensive production from him.

I liked Crombeen’s reaction after the Upshall/Murphy scuffle. We didn’t have that presence last year.

OEL is still bobbling the puck quite a bit, but he gets a pass for the GWG. Vermette also looks a bit off, and he has for a few games. They’ll both figure it out soon enough.

Michael Stone has put together a string of solid games. He’s slowing bringing that consistent, physical edge to his game, which really is his only missing piece. Another solid game from Smitty tonight too. Don’t like Korpi on the PP, but he’s mainly there for his size in front of the net. That’ll be over once Hanzal is back.

I like the Panthers but they really need to clean up their game. A significant majority of their penalties were avoidable, unnecessary stick infractions.

rt

May 13, 2004
We're at 50% of possible points. Last year and the year before we collected 53%. Each of those two seasons, no team with less than 55% made it in. Nobody with greater than 55% failed to qualify, either. It seems 55% is the magic number. Shout have to be better than it. You can't be worse. So for in season pacing, that's what I'd keep an eye on. After 82, by the way, that'd be 90pts. So you'd better have 92.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
To early to tell but Strome should be available around 10-15.

Generally

McDavid
Eichel
Hanifin
Barzal

is definitely consensus top 4 IMO

from there Konecny/Marner/Kylington/Zacha/Andersson/Strome/White/Sprong are all about equal

I would be dumbfounded if Strome wasn't picked in the top 10.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think Strome has crept up to a comfortable and stable perch at number four for the time being. Zacha is probably on his heels there, though. I'd say that at this point, there's your consensus top five. "Six through..." hosts a much wider field, so far as I can tell. With Kylington, Barzal, and Crouse currently occupying the top spots tenuously with every waiting to see what Marner and Konecny do. Connor, Sprong, White, Rantanen, etc could easily jump right up into that mix, it seems.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I missed the game due to being busy all day, but glad to see a win. Can anybody sum up the game? Saw on FB that Hodgeman got his first NHL goal, awesome

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I missed the game due to being busy all day, but glad to see a win. Can anybody sum up the game? Saw on FB that Hodgeman got his first NHL goal, awesome

Coyotes dominated quite a bit but couldn't score(shocking I know). Luongo was really good. Coyotes got down a goal, tip shook up the lines a tad, Panthers continued to take stupid penalties.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pretty good game all around. Like everyone else has said, great to see the smile on Hodgman’s face, and great to see Gagner get his first point. Now that Gagner has that monkey off his back, I think we’ll see a decent flow of offensive production from him.

I liked Crombeen’s reaction after the Upshall/Murphy scuffle. We didn’t have that presence last year.

OEL is still bobbling the puck quite a bit, but he gets a pass for the GWG. Vermette also looks a bit off, and he has for a few games. They’ll both figure it out soon enough.

Michael Stone has put together a string of solid games. He’s slowing bringing that consistent, physical edge to his game, which really is his only missing piece. Another solid game from Smitty tonight too. Don’t like Korpi on the PP, but he’s mainly there for his size in front of the net. That’ll be over once Hanzal is back.

I like the Panthers but they really need to clean up their game. A significant majority of their penalties were avoidable, unnecessary stick infractions.

Yeah, I thought Vermette was off as well, but Korpi had a great game.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
When Hanzal returns, Tip can dress 6 centers, 3 rightys and 3 leftys. That's kind of a coach's dream. Hodgman looked good at the dot and Gagner looked better on the wing.

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Korpikoski-Hodgman-Gagner
Klinkhammer-Hanzal-Erat
McMillan-Vitale-Chipchura

I haven't been crazy about Korpikoski this year but he certainly steps it up when he gets out there with Gagner. Hodgman doesn't get that goal without Korpikoski's work in front. Erat was looking really good with Hanzal before he went down and I actually don't hate Klinkhammer on that line. Tip seems happy to rotate Crombeen/Chipchura down there on our top line. Moss out/Hodgman in kinda changes my entire attitude about this line-up, I will now refer to Korpi-Hodg-Gags as the hope line...

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Korpi is big and hits very hard. He also has some good speed. And one more thing I like about Korpi is he blocks shots pretty good. If he is with Gagner and Hodgman he can be a physical presence on that line.

I'd rather have Crombeen over Chip. I'm am tired of Chipchuras constant unproductive stick handling. It would be nice if he passed it or shot it but instead he normally gets the puck taken away.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
Korpi is big and hits very hard. He also has some good speed. And one more thing I like about Korpi is he blocks shots pretty good. If he is with Gagner and Hodgman he can be a physical presence on that line.

I'd rather have Crombeen over Chip. I'm am tired of Chipchuras constant unproductive stick handling. It would be nice if he passed it or shot it but instead he normally gets the puck taken away.

I'd do the opposite... chip over crombeen. I haven't seen enough good come out of Crombeen to take him over Chip at this point. That said, Chip is frustrating. There are flashes which show pretty nice talent (probably why he was a 1st round pick), but its just so often not good enough.

rt

May 13, 2004
When Hanzal returns, Tip can dress 6 centers, 3 rightys and 3 leftys. That's kind of a coach's dream. Hodgman looked good at the dot and Gagner looked better on the wing.

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Klinkhammer-Hanzal-Erat

I haven't been crazy about Korpikoski this year but he certainly steps it up when he gets out there with Gagner. Hodgman doesn't get that goal without Korpikoski's work in front. Erat was looking really good with Hanzal before he went down and I actually don't hate Klinkhammer on that line. Tip seems happy to rotate Crombeen/Chipchura down there on our top line. Moss out/Hodgman in kinda changes my entire attitude about this line-up, I will now refer to Korpi-Hodg-Gags as the hope line...

Your mouth to Tippett's ears. God willing.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I saw the new Smith last night. Or was it the old Smith? Seems like the New Coke Old Coke. He played very, very well.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I saw the new Smith last night. Or was it the old Smith? Seems like the New Coke Old Coke. He played very, very well.

Yeah Smith was good. Made some big saves for sure. I am going to call him the new Smith because he is like the first version but with no (or less) diving.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Klinkhammer-Hanzal-Erat

Love this post.

Let's not get carried away with Hodgman, but here's hoping he plays well enough to force Maloney to keep him here. This lineup with Klink/McMillan/Crombeen/Moss fighting for time would be interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad