Speculation: Does winning now help for the offseason

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
We've been getting high picks forever, our problem isn't missing out on anyone... It's development, we can't develop what we have properly because we are bringing our prospects up in a losing environment. Losing and gaining another high pick won't elicit any different results. "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result". Winning right now and changing that culture even if the season is already lost is more important in my opinion.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
People who think winning helps lack any sort of logic. Really we did so much better with a non top 3 pick? Yeah getting a McKinnon or Jones would suck.

The only course for these guys to actually improve long term is to get a top 2 pick. We dont need more Sams cause our scouting sucks.

Ekblad or bust.

even if we finish last, that doesn't guarantee us Ekblad

seeing the Oilers play like garbage and lose night in and night out means there isn't any PROGRESS

winning and seeing the Hall, RNH, Yak, Schultz, Marincin, Eberle playing well is more important than breeding a constant losing culture

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
The Edmonton Oilers have such a culture of losing that even the fans have been accustomed to cheer for losing.

Myself included.

Think about that Mr. Lowe. Mr. I think I know a thing or two.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
The last year in the Hawks rebuild, they went on a tear at the end of the season. I believe they just missed the playoffs that year, and that was their breakout year. They went from a constant losing environment for years, including the beginning of that season, to a winning mentality and haven't looked back since. Not saying we've got a team like the hawks, but these players want to win. Period! Start it now. Continue it into next season. They aren't just being spoilers. They have shown improvement in their game. They are playing with confidence. They are playing (for the most part) a full 60+ minutes. This isn't the same team that started the year. This is the team I want to watch next year. Winning is good. I want to be as close to 500 at the end of the year as possible. And take out some of the strong teams for a change to end the season. It's time we started beating the likes of ANA, LA and ST LOU.
t

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
People who think winning helps lack any sort of logic. Really we did so much better with a non top 3 pick? Yeah getting a McKinnon or Jones would suck.

The only course for these guys to actually improve long term is to get a top 2 pick. We dont need more Sams cause our scouting sucks.

Ekblad or bust.

Conversely you could make the argument that we have done no better getting 1st overall picks. Three straight years of them (and taking the BPA at the time) and we are still in the pits.

If these years of misery have shown us anything it's that trying to rely so heavily on the draft is a horrendously stupid approach that flat out does not work. The only way the Oilers are going to get better and take the next step into legitimate NHL team is bring in legitimate NHLers to play key roles on the team.

Another 1st or 2nd overall pick wont fix this team anymore than Hall, RNH, or Yakupov have fixed this team.

I also wonder why you bring up Mackinnon or Jones like the Oilers missed out on a chance to get them. The Oilers tanked it hardcore last year. They won 3 of their final 12 games to go from tied for a playoff spot to 7th worst in the league. It was a stupendous collapse. A tank of epic proportions.

Last edited:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Conversely you could make the argument that we have done no better getting 1st overall picks. Three straight years of them (and taking the BPA at the time) and we are still in the pits.

If these years of misery have shown us anything it's that trying to rely so heavily on the draft is a horrendously stupid approach that flat out does not work. The only way the Oilers are going to get better and take the next step into legitimate NHL team is bring in legitimate NHLers to play key roles on the team.

Another 1st or 2nd overall pick wont fix this team anymore than Hall, RNH, or Yakupov have fixed this team.

I also wonder why you bring up Mackinnon or Jones like the Oilers missed out on a chance to get them. The Oilers tanked it hardcore last year. They won 3 of their final 12 games to go from tied for a playoff spot to 7th worst in the league. It was a stupendous collapse. A tank of epic proportions.

The point is as abysmal failures as Hall RNH Yaks have been they have been WAY better than if the Oilers garbage management and development picked around 8-12 in a draft.

Will a top two fix the team? No. But its sure as hell a lot better than another Sam Gagner floating around in obscurity.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

I also wonder if there had been a full season where we would've ended up? I'm guessing we'd have Jones right now, since I'm sure they would've picked him 1st.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Best case scenario - Oilers keep winning and still finish 2nd last. With all the wins they've been wracking up lately, its surprising they're still in 29th place.

But they've had a relatively easy schedule recently. Their last 10 games are much more difficult against some top teams.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Best case scenario - Oilers keep winning and still finish 2nd last. With all the wins they've been wracking up lately, its surprising they're still in 29th place.

But they've had a relatively easy schedule recently. Their last 10 games are much more difficult against some top teams.

Starting a season 4-20 will do that to a team.

Shibumi

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
The point is as abysmal failures as Hall RNH Yaks have been they have been WAY better than if the Oilers garbage management and development picked around 8-12 in a draft.

Will a top two fix the team? No. But its sure as hell a lot better than another Sam Gagner floating around in obscurity.

How does he get thrown under the bus here?

I think winning as much as they can to close out the season will help out more than a higher draft pick.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Winning is very important now. If MacT put up the white flag and didn't make the trades for Hendricks, Scrivens, and Fasth, or the Bryzgalov signing for that matter, then we would have preserved our draft but just imagine it.

We need to start next season with confidence and high spirits.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
there used to be a time when the draft was no big deal, and you got whomever you got, didn't really think about the kid till he actually made the team. Wouldn't it be nice to go back to those days?

Forget this Ekblad and the whole draft. whomever it is, he's going to be a top 5 pick and hopefully will be a good player in about 3 years. And if it turns out to be another Soules, Rieson, Hulbig, Bonsignor, Kelly, Niinamiki, Rita, Henrich, Michnov then we rip the organization then. (hey, the got a few right; Arnott, Hemsky, Smyth, Stoll).

Just win, baby!!!

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Winning our last 2 games after going 1-9 isn't "ending on a high note"

Not sure why you'd quote my post and immediately try to misrepresent what I said.

If the Oilers wouldn't have won the last games they would have been in a position to draft Monahan. Pretty simple. Which would have allowed MacT to trade Gagner while his value was at its peak.

But hey let's all pretend that they carried the momentum from those wins forward to this season.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Not sure why you'd quote my post and immediately try to misrepresent what I said.

If the Oilers wouldn't have won the last games they would have been in a position to draft Monahan. Pretty simple. Which would have allowed MacT to trade Gagner while his value was at its peak.

But hey let's all pretend that they carried the momentum from those wins forward to this season.

What's wrong with Nurse? We need blue chip defenseman just as bad

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Winning any time is good.

Not when you lose out on a viable piece for the future, and are right back where you were at towards the end of the season, in the next year's season,again.

Oilers win 2 games and lose out on Sean Monahan

Next year

Oilers suck

Oilers win too many games and lose out on Aaron Ekblad,

Next season

Oilers suck again and are right where they were the year before,again.

Win when it matters and lose when it matters.

Thought on trying to win all the time is not smart long term.It is just prolonging the suckage of this team longer.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
there used to be a time when the draft was no big deal, and you got whomever you got, didn't really think about the kid till he actually made the team. Wouldn't it be nice to go back to those days?

Forget this Ekblad and the whole draft. whomever it is, he's going to be a top 5 pick and hopefully will be a good player in about 3 years. And if it turns out to be another Soules, Rieson, Hulbig, Bonsignor, Kelly, Niinamiki, Rita, Henrich, Michnov then we rip the organization then. (hey, the got a few right; Arnott, Hemsky, Smyth, Stoll).

Just win, baby!!!

Just brilliant thinking!

It's going to be awesome to see this team win more useless games only to get a lousy pick and be another **** team,next year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
For all we know Nurse could turn out better then Jones. Winning now won't help us at all next season if this team is mostly intact but at least it gives the players confidence in our goaltending. Whatever happens we will be drafting top 5 and with our biggest needs being a future top pairing D and 2nd line C, we will be sure to be able to draft one of those where we finish.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Not when you lose out on a viable piece for the future, and are right back where you were at towards the end of the season, in the next year's season,again.

Next year

Oilers suck

Next season

Thought on trying to win all the time is not smart long term.It is just prolonging the suckage of this team longer.

So it happened...once

And we filled our biggest need... A defenseman

Brilliant logic :laugh:

Enjoyed the game tonight I take it? Oilers looked awful...great signs of progress! They're really turning it around with their losing mentality!

One can only hope RNH continues to stink, Hall goes ice cold, Marincin's play heads south and Yak's continues to look like a bust...then they can lose horribly the rest of the way and ruin another #1 overall and let him catch the LOSER bug and we begin the McDavid sweepstakes

It's no wonder this franchise is in the midst of the worst run of professional hockey in the history of the NHL
:shakehead

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
For all we know Nurse could turn out better then Jones. Winning now won't help us at all next season if this team is mostly intact but at least it gives the players confidence in our goaltending. Whatever happens we will be drafting top 5 and with our biggest needs being a future top pairing D and 2nd line C, we will be sure to be able to draft one of those where we finish.

99% on that being not true.

Further proof that our Players are losers.When things get hard they crack everytime and use the ol'confidence excuse.Either you can get the job done when it matters or else
we'll have to go else where.The winning at the end of the season to build confidence for the next season is beyond ****ing embarrassing.

Winning players win when it matters and do not take it as actual progress if you are winning against teams at the end of the season when these teams no longer give a **** anymore.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

Next year

Oilers suck

Next season

Screw Sean Monahan and Screw Aaron Eklbad if we can't draft him. These are top 10 picks the team is getting, you can blame constantly losing on a couple draft spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad