Speculation: Does winning now help for the offseason

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
I like many have thought of the seemingly imminent loss of ekblad to our fine 2 horses Fasth and Scrivens. However, today i was reading the trade rumor thread and just saw how many teams say no one will waive to go to that ****** squad in edmonton. So I ask does winning now help when the dollars are on the table in the summer and a player is thinking of signing and says hey they started playing better maybe with my defensive skills i can shore up that blue line or as a solid 2c i can be the solution in all that skill.

Just curious what you guys think.

McDeathbyCheerios*

If we end the season on a high note the team will go into next year with optimism and confidence which will be great. Also players will probably be more likely to come here if we show improvement as the season goes on rather then flat out tanking. We still have a chance at Ekblad and doing good now helps us in free agency

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Absolutely, if this team "quit-out the stretch" that would look nothing but horrendous, of course it helps.

To what degree it does is the real question, I don't know that.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
I'd rather see the team win, personally. It's better for them.
An 18 year old defenseman isn't going to turn this teams fortunes around anyway.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
No, we need a stud d-man, and the cream of the crop free agents will never come here, and it's nearly impossible to trade for one. Coupled with the fact that outside of the first pick overall, this team is pretty incompetent at drafting.

Picking up Ekblad in the 1st or 2nd spot overall, is the only way this team has a chance to become competitive.

I've watched this team excel at losing for the last 8 years, what is another 20 games.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
If we end the season on a high note the team will go into next year with optimism and confidence which will be great. Also players will probably be more likely to come here if we show improvement as the season goes on rather then flat out tanking. We still have a chance at Ekblad and doing good now helps us in free agency

It didn't help last year, so I prefer to finish as low as possible while still playing good.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Yes, bottom line you have to start winning at some point. Winning I think will do a lot, given we are still near the bottom every one will be motivated this offseason, however winning is going to give every one a little confidence and take away the doom and gloom.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Yes because losing the last 15 games would be much worse hit both for free agent signings and the confidence and developing of the current roster than winning the last 15 games.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I don't think so. If the roster turnover is high like its being predicted we will have another big bunch of players learning systems and getting used to each other.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I thought this thread was from last season. Finishing the last games strong didn't help the team a lick last year. It cost us a stud #2C

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It does cause confidence for our youth which is good, but not enough to truly impact our start to next season. And worse draft position will hurt us long term as well.

Next year, when every team is in the playoff hunt and playing their butts off, Edmonton will again be a punching bag for the big bad Western Conference teams.

We should do better if for no other reason than goaltending and experience but for every good turn there seems to be an equal or potentially worse bad turn. Softmore slumps, injuries, etc...

And I can not even imagine how terrible this club could get if Eakins has a softmore slump. lol.

Last edited:

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
The players seem to think it'll help. I've heard Hall and others talk about the confidence boost they get when they see the team and goaltenders playing well. I don't really believe that it'll do us a world of good in attracting free agents, just a world of good in the dressing room, which is more important imo.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It didn't help last year, so I prefer to finish as low as possible while still playing good.

Winning 2 games in a blowout at the end of the year after losing 9 of the previous 10 is significantly different than putting together what could be a really strong 30 game stretch in terms of turning the table on the teams fortunes in both confidence and attraction of talent.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
No, at this point it's pretty meaningless free agents already have plenty to base their decision on. It does feel good though.

ElFossum

Nov 19, 2013
Saskatoon SK
Emotionally feels pretty good, but Ekblad though... If we keep winning you gotta hope FA's look at it in July as though we're turning the corner and maybe they're the "missing piece". We can only hope right?

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
What ever, I'm over drafting first overall and I'm sick of cheering when this team continues to grow it's culture of losing. The sooner it stops the better.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Though I don't believe that winning will automatically turn them into winners, I think losing only helps them perfect being losers.

Last edited:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
People who think winning helps lack any sort of logic. Really we did so much better with a non top 3 pick? Yeah getting a McKinnon or Jones would suck.

The only course for these guys to actually improve long term is to get a top 2 pick. We dont need more Sams cause our scouting sucks.

Ekblad or bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad