Does the NHL do anything for their retired players?

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Dude made millions.
If he pissed it all away, it's his fault.
No pity from me.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Aside from providing medical insurance for life, which they should considering all the problems these guys have after retirement, what would you like the NHL to do? There are thousands of retired NHL players, they can't just keep giving them money or find jobs for all of them. According to CapFriendly, Brasheer made over 16 million dollars in his career and that's outside of any endorsements. I feel bad that the guy is broke but let's not act like someone spent the money for him. He made a lot more money and played a lot longer than most guys who average 16 points a year.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Maybe the answer is that the NHL should partner with some investment firm, take a certain percentage of player's salary each season and invest it in a pension plan that pays out after leaving professional sports. It wouldn't take all that much to set up a plan that pays out well above what a minimum wage job makes.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
A more proactive idea would be to offer professional financial, legal, and personal advice to players before they retire. Make it a once-a-year mandatory seminar for the entire roster. It would cost the NHL zero -- accountant firms would line up to offer free courses for prospective future customers who are all millionaires.
I played a different sport. Had a meh career but made some money. Got hurt in a freak injury suddenly ending my career.
My financial advisor had a decent plan that I agreed with. I had a Loyds disability policy that stopped when I attempted a return(my mistake with hindsight). I bought at the time (1996), a House that was about 60% of what I could qualify for.
Had to go to work coaching which was significantly less than playing and we struggled to get our child through college. But the 2008 crisis killed my investments as well as my advisors and we are still up against it. Still have our home (barely) and continue coaching but i(we) tried to do everything conservatively but are still in a jam worse than I feel we should be. Sometimes it just blows up in your face I guess.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Some of you act like it's a sacrifice to play hockey. These guys get paid for something they love.
How many here can relate?

The Optimist

Jun 5, 2009
2754 days of hell
On top of their pension, there should be the payout from the class action lawsuit regarding the handling of concussions by the NHL. One would think Brashear would be entitled to something on that front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad