Does the NHL do anything for their retired players?

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I just read an article about Donald Brashear working in a Tim Hortons in Quebec, it's really a very sad story. I looked up his DB profile and he has played over 1k games in the NHL, you'd think the NHL would be doing something with their retired players

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I just read an article about Donald Brashear working in a Tim Hortons in Quebec, it's really a very sad story. I looked up his DB profile and he has played over 1k games in the NHL, you'd think the NHL would be doing something with their retired players

They're eligible for a pension if they play a certain number of games (400 I think?).

What should they do? It isn't the leagues fault Brashear pissed away more money than most average Joe's will see in a lifetime....

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They're eligible for a pension if they play a certain number of games (400 I think?).

What should they do? It isn't the leagues fault Brashear pissed away more money than most average Joe's will see in a lifetime....

Yea, 400 games is the threshold but thats with the NHLPA pension, NHL itself doesn't give one.

As for the OP - I have heard NHL will pay for things like rehab for former players if they need it. Probably expensive medical procedures too I would guess, or maybe the NHLPA would cover that too.

I don't imagine its terribly hard for former players to latch on with the league or a team for a job, you see all kinds of former players, usually guys who were AHL fodder/occasional NHL call ups, with jobs for the league or its teams.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yea, 400 games is the threshold but thats with the NHLPA pension, NHL itself doesn't give one.

As for the OP - I have heard NHL will pay for things like rehab for former players if they need it. Probably expensive medical procedures too I would guess, or maybe the NHLPA would cover that too.

I don't imagine its terribly hard for former players to latch on with the league or a team for a job, you see all kinds of former players, usually guys who were AHL fodder/occasional NHL call ups, with jobs for the league or its teams.

Yea, but there are only so many teams and only so many jobs. Not every retired player can get a job with a team or the league.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
The NHL doesn't have any obligations to baby retired players having a hard time because they can't handle money properly.

I get it, they are probably lost when they cannot play anymore, but they should at least have enough money on the side to pursue an education / some sort of job training afterwards.

Jeremy Hronek

Aug 18, 2009
chilliwack , bc

The article I saw, said his friend bought a Tim Horton's and he's just helping him out until the store gets going.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
I live a few minutes from the store he works at, dude had a sweet Lamborghini back in the day made over 15m us in his career and today he's front page of newspaper in a big color photo showing him working a minimum wage job, that must be very very humbling

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I worked for Hilton hotels for many years--should they do something for me when I retire?

There is an organization call the NHLPA--not sure if you have heard of it--they have two different functions--helping current and retired players. There is only so much they can do. Joe Murphy is reportedly homeless again and is turning down the NHLPA's help.

Who's responsible for helping the players; NHL? NHLPA? The Agents? Bobby Orr and Rich Winter(yes Dr Evil) are the only two agents I know of who go out of their way to help the players after they retire. Shouldnt the agents do more as well?

in the case of DB there are something behind the scenes and why he is doing what he is doing--we can not discuss--he needs to prove he has a full time "legit" job currently

for me this an area where people get into nasty arguments-- there are up to 5 sides of the discussion

1) Those who believe the Owners need to do more
2) Those who believe the NHLPA need to more
3) Agents having due care for their clients
4) People who view players who have wasted million of dollars and brought the situation on themselves and needed to realize that the gravy train would not last for ever
5) Anyone who does not fall in the above 4 categories

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Top Pro Athlete Pension Plans

There’s an article that summarizes all of the major North American sports and how they handle retired players.

Pretty cool how the MLB offers lifetime life insurance for anyone that’s on a MLB roster for only one day.

I’ve actual read stories of teams putting players on the active roster because one of their children had cancer and it ensured healthcare for the child. For those that don’t know, minor league players in the MLB are paid basically nothing.

Reactions: IlikeEich

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Is he actually confirmed broke now? Usually it's NFL and NBA players who go bankrupt after retirement, don't hear a lot about it in the NHL though (with the exception of this and the former player in Kenora)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Should it be sad? Plenty of adults may find themselves needing to take a job at a place like Tim Horton's, doesn't really change things just because one's an ex-NHLer.

Like has been mentioned with 400 games played does get an NHL pension. If after retiring that isn't enough they can always take a coaching/scouting/management job with an organization. Inevitably though when you have hundreds/thousands of ex-NHL players some are going to slip through the cracks. Relative to other NHL players Brashear didn't make that much money that some bad investing and a messy divorce could leave him broke and needing to work at Tim Horton's 10 years after the NHL. I don't know any other details and do feel a bit bad for the guy but it could be much worse. If you look at him as someone from the 'entertainment' industry it's actually quite common.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
If he's healthy and working, what's the big deal here? I would never be ashamed of honest hard work no matter what it is. Happiness in life comes from many sources. For all we know, he's happy. I wish him well.

Why is this the NHL's problem anyway? Am I responsible for anyone that's ever worked for me for the rest of their lives?

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Getting that sweet Tim Hortons paycheck just like Crosby and MacKinnon. Seriously though, it's a low status job but why should the NHL protect him from having to live a regular person's life?

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
A more proactive idea would be to offer professional financial, legal, and personal advice to players before they retire. Make it a once-a-year mandatory seminar for the entire roster. It would cost the NHL zero -- accountant firms would line up to offer free courses for prospective future customers who are all millionaires.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
There's nothing stopping him from going back to school, or learning a trade

Hell, he could go work for The Brick doing furniture delivery and make at least $20 an hour to start

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
He was still making over a million for a few seasons. For me to make a million it would take me 10 years. Sad but these guys even the enforcers/4th line players are still paid quite well and not the league's fault they went broke imo

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
It would be sad if he was homeless, had an addiction, was caught stealing things or something of that nature. Having an honest low income job isn't sad at all.
He used to make millions, maybe he squandered it or maybe he didn't, it doesn't really matter because he's got a paying job.

Reactions: JBeast and LeHab

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Top Pro Athlete Pension Plans

There’s an article that summarizes all of the major North American sports and how they handle retired players.

Pretty cool how the MLB offers lifetime life insurance for anyone that’s on a MLB roster for only one day.

I’ve actual read stories of teams putting players on the active roster because one of their children had cancer and it ensured healthcare for the child. For those that don’t know, minor league players in the MLB are paid basically nothing.

That's how you do it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Being in possession of something doesn't mean you're addicted to it, for crying out loud.

Look at the context to the arrest. Wednesday, middle of the day after smashing a building window.

Not to mention he’s bankrupt (presumably st least partly from spending it on cocaine)

I dunno sure seems like he has issues with it

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Look at the context to the arrest. Wednesday, middle of the day after smashing a building window.

Not to mention he’s bankrupt (presumably st least partly from spending it on cocaine)

I dunno sure seems like he has issues with it

making a lot of assumptions

Reactions: Aspirine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad