Does the NHL do anything for their retired players?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Yea, 400 games is the threshold but thats with the NHLPA pension, NHL itself doesn't give one.

As for the OP - I have heard NHL will pay for things like rehab for former players if they need it. Probably expensive medical procedures too I would guess, or maybe the NHLPA would cover that too.

I don't imagine its terribly hard for former players to latch on with the league or a team for a job, you see all kinds of former players, usually guys who were AHL fodder/occasional NHL call ups, with jobs for the league or its teams.

It's only for 3 years after you've retired. For those 3 years retired players go ham with their insurance though. Massages like every day.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Certainly someone should be subsidizing the ex. millionaire athlete, right?

Minimum wage jobs are for the peasants.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's only for 3 years after you've retired. For those 3 years retired players go ham with their insurance though. Massages like every day.

Disappointing that the NHLPA does not give them lifetime coverage.

Plenty of unions do for their workers, granted majority are retiring 55+ but still, majority also don't pay in as much as NHLers do.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Maybe I'm bitter.. but I think most people could store away a couple million and live pretty nicely for the rest of their lives.. these guys make millions. If they ain't smart enough to handle the money they don't deserve help.

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
Maybe I'm bitter.. but I think most people could store away a couple million and live pretty nicely for the rest of their lives.. these guys make millions. If they ain't smart enough to handle the money they don't deserve help.

Hard to when you get accustomed to a certain lifestyle.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Nothing but respect for DB.

Instead of mooching money off the people around him and calling up ex-teammates (which I’m sure would get him something), he’s putting in honest work.

Nobody should ever be shamed or embarrassed by the job they do if they do it honestly. He probably has bigger dreams than working at Tim’s, as many would, but absolute full respect for him being willing to work there.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Is he actually confirmed broke now? Usually it's NFL and NBA players who go bankrupt after retirement, don't hear a lot about it in the NHL though (with the exception of this and the former player in Kenora)

that is Joe Murphy, seems that he made some progress this year and has settled in Thunder Bay.

the article says he gets 1K/month for and NHL pension

Murphy starts over in Thunder Bay

Last edited:

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
As per the pension plan link posted earlier, he should be eligible to $45,000 US/yr... and he made several millions in his playing days. Why the pity party?

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
I think on Spittin Chiclets they mentioned that the players get health insurance for a couple years after they retire and then after that they are enrolled into a good healthcare plan at a bit of a discount but that's it.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I want to be clear about this, so here some question.

1. NHL players can start withdrawing their pension benefits at the age of 45.
That means, when the player is 45 years old, he can ask for this pension? That means, he can receive every year until he is dead 45 000 USD (cca 3 750 / month).

2. How is it with IRS? How much do they take?

3. Players are not fully vested, however, until the age of 45.
What does it mean?

4. Players with less than 160 games of service receive the maximum benefit under Canadian law, and players with 160 games or more of service receive the maximum pension under U.S. law, which is $45,000 annually.
:help:

5. The maximum amount you may borrow from your qualified plan is either 50% of your vested balance or $50,000, whichever is less.
:help:

Im from Slovakia as you may know, so im not fully comfortable with all this stuff. But its interesting topic, so i want to understand it.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
OUR MISSION: HONOUR THE PAST
The NHL Alumni Association (NHLAA), established in 1999, is a charitable organization in Canada and the US that serves as a passionate advocate devoted to bettering the lives of its members (all former NHL Players).
The NHLAA exemplifies this commitment to its members in many different ways including financial assistance, commercializing player's rights, emotional support, physical care, post playing career transition and family aid, all in furtherance of its efforts to 'Honor the Past'. Since its inception, the NHLAA has acted as a liaison with its 29 local chapters and has become the largest membership association for retired proffessional hockey players

NHL Alumni

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You feel bad for some guys because they don't have the name recognition to get cushy jobs doing nothing.

I.E. Wendel Clarke makes over $100,000 to be an "ambassador" for the Leafs and shake hands at games, attend charity events. Thats not something everyone can do, especially the 3rd line guys who nobody remembers after they retire/leave the team.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I worked for Hilton hotels for many years--should they do something for me when I retire?

There is an organization call the NHLPA--not sure if you have heard of it--they have two different functions--helping current and retired players. There is only so much they can do. Joe Murphy is reportedly homeless again and is turning down the NHLPA's help.

Who's responsible for helping the players; NHL? NHLPA? The Agents? Bobby Orr and Rich Winter(yes Dr Evil) are the only two agents I know of who go out of their way to help the players after they retire. Shouldnt the agents do more as well?

in the case of DB there are something behind the scenes and why he is doing what he is doing--we can not discuss--he needs to prove he has a full time "legit" job currently

for me this an area where people get into nasty arguments-- there are up to 5 sides of the discussion

1) Those who believe the Owners need to do more
2) Those who believe the NHLPA need to more
3) Agents having due care for their clients
4) People who view players who have wasted million of dollars and brought the situation on themselves and needed to realize that the gravy train would not last for ever
5) Anyone who does not fall in the above 4 categories

"for me this an area where people get into nasty arguments"

If you are getting into "nasty arguments" a lot about this topic, maybe try starting your posts a little different than you did here. I'd bet you'd be surprised.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Its really hard for me to understand that even in the 90's a lot of fourth liners or goonish players were still making upwards of 400 000 to 700 000 thousand dollars a year. Even if you were in the league for 8 years, do the math, most of us will never make that kind of money in our lifetime. So knowing that your skill set is limited and you will retire before you are 40 you figure these guys would be better at saving their money?

Its hard for me to feel sorry for someone making that much bank. 400 000 dollars for even 5 years is 2 million bucks. That's hitting the lottery while playing a fun game. Life's tell isn't it.

Isn't the league minimum 700 000 now?

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Being in possession of something doesn't mean you're addicted to it, for crying out loud.
He must have been holding it for his friend or those weren't his pants, right?
XC85IU4.jpg

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I don’t see a problem with it.

sure Tim’s ain’t sexy but I’d go insane retiring at 43 from hockey, or any job for that matter.

upload_2019-10-18_9-25-25.jpeg

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
I don't know why the NHL should do anything for a guy who made close to 20mil during his career. Dude probably had plenty of fun blowing his money so I don't see why anyone should feel sorry for him. And it's not like he's all drugged out living under some bridge, he has a job and looks fine. Also a guy who's played over 1k games has plenty of nhl connections who have plenty of connections to other wealthy people, through who he could probably land some nice ok paying job.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Depends on the player. At the end of his career the new regime of the Coyotes rudely kicked Shane Doan to the curb without any thought for his contributions to the club during the ownership circus. If you remember he took a lot of bullets from the media about the lack of stability when the NHL took over the team.

The NHL stepped in and now he works for the NHL HQ brass.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1) Those who believe the Owners need to do more
2) Those who believe the NHLPA need to more
3) Agents having due care for their clients
4) People who view players who have wasted million of dollars and brought the situation on themselves and needed to realize that the gravy train would not last for ever
5) Anyone who does not fall in the above 4 categories

I think the PA and Agents should be doing more, to provide better education for the players, on how to protect their earnings, and make solid investment and financial decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->