Does the draft lottery system need to change?

Does the draft lottery system need to change?

• Total voters

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I like that there is less incentive to tank, but it doesnt make sense that a team like Detroit actually had higher odds to pick 4th than they did anywhere in the top 3. The percentages need to be tweaked. Dead last shouldnt be guaranteed 1st overall but they should have something like 65 percent chance of picking top 3.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Why doesn’t the nhl make winning the true reward. If you win the cup you get the 1st pick. Maybe it would force GMs to actually think creatively instead of just having terrible teams for years. I know that’s a wrong way to do it but seems like no one will ever be happy so there is really no solution.

This would also force scouts to be good at their evaluation rather than guessing on kids outside the top 25
Go down the list of who would have gotten the top pick in the last 5 years and you tell me if you actually think that is going to help the bad teams get better. I am sure Chicago would love having McDavid though.

member 149439

Go down the list of who would have gotten the top pick in the last 5 years and you tell me if you actually think that is going to help the bad teams get better. I am sure Chicago would love having McDavid though.
My post was a joke!!!!!! Just like debating on a way to make a chance drawing fair!!!

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
I remember this same discussion after the yakupov draft lottery. Y'all complained for change and the change gave us McDavid. You all complained for change again and now we have this mess. So yes lets ask for more change and see how it plays out.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
According to Brian Burke it was Yakupov's attitude.

the community loved him in edmonton. always helping out less fortunate and homeless. Didn't ask for media attention either. Word just got out from bystanders. His on ice IQ drove the hockey fanatics up the wall though.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
dude read my whole post and realize I’m in no way serious. More making fun of the fact that no matter how it changes the teams who don’t get 1st overall are mad. So my satirical take on giving it to the cup winner is clearly not reality. Jesus I realize it’s hard to convey humor via strict text but come one not everything posted on this site is thought of as absolute fact...oh wait that’s how everyone takes everything because they have to be right on the subject non of us totally are qualified to act like experts on.
Yeah, no. How in the hell was I supposed to know that was a joke? "and realize I'm in no way serious". Maybe in your mind when you were writing it maybe. But that's it. You didn't express that well at all.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
the community loved him in edmonton. always helping out less fortunate and homeless. Didn't ask for media attention either. Word just got out from bystanders. His on ice IQ drove the hockey fanatics up the wall though.
That's all well and good with him helping the less fortunate and homeless.

However you have to think if he's telling Brian Burke why are you bothering to interview me since I'm projected to go 1st overall since Toronto had the 5th pick in 2012, that does seem to make him cocky and arrogant.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Burke has always called it as he sees it. Thats why I believe him, hes not one to lie. Sure sometimes hes dead wrong or may say something offensive (Bobby No Intensity Ryan) but hes a straight shooter.

He also said at the draft that Rielly was #1 on his board the whole time. Now maybe he had him #1 the whole time, or Yak's poor attitude turned him off.
I guess Burke must figure he won't be working with another NHL team and will remain at Sportsnet for as long as they want him. So he won't get in trouble for telling stories like that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's pretty obvious the tank teams need the high draft picks, so I would actually be okay with no lottery and just have the teams pick in reverse order of the standings. That way, when your team is falling apart, you know that's a reliable route to get better instead of having your emotions toyed with.

People make light of tanking teams that stay at the bottom of the standings and want to punish them, but there are real fans that are sitting there night after night for 41 games every season. They need something to hang their hopes on.

Reactions: Erik Alfredsson

member 149439

Yeah, no. How in the hell was I supposed to know that was a joke? "and realize I'm in no way serious". Maybe in your mind when you were writing it maybe. But that's it. You didn't express that well at all.
Probably the part of the post that clearly says this isn’t reality

either way just let it go who cares.

Last edited by a moderator:

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
If a team wants to draft 1st overall by blowing up their team; let them have it. Getting 1st overall isn't the end goal, winning the cup is. All the weighted random number generator does is arbitrarily reward mediocre teams at the cost of everyone else.

Reactions: Erik Alfredsson

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Expanding the playoffs to 20 teams and reducing the number of draws to 2 would be good. 32nd would be guaranteed 3rd overall instead of 4th overall and the number of "actually good" teams in the draw would be reduced

According to Brian Burke it was Yakupov's attitude.

Brian Burke traded up to pick Tyler Biggs 22nd overall. Anaheim turned around and took John Gibson and Rickard Rakell with the picks he gave up. Brian should stick to scheduling barn fights against undeserving HoFers and avoid evaluating 18 year olds.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Brian Burke traded up to pick Tyler Biggs 22nd overall. Anaheim turned around and took John Gibson and Rickard Rakell with the picks he gave up. Brian should stick to scheduling barn fights against undeserving HoFers and avoid evaluating 18 year olds.
With the benefit of hindsight it was a bad move. However at the time trading the 30th and 39th picks for the 22nd pick didn't look like a bad move to trade up. Plus no one knew who Anaheim would even select and how good they would become playing for them.

Edmonton screwed up with a 1st overall pick and it was a player their scouts didn't want. However Daryl Katz overruled them and said to select Yakupov. So that will always be worse compared to Brian Burke trading up for Tyler Biggs.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
That's all well and good with him helping the less fortunate and homeless.

However you have to think if he's telling Brian Burke why are you bothering to interview me since I'm projected to go 1st overall since Toronto had the 5th pick in 2012, that does seem to make him cocky and arrogant.
He wasn't wrong though, he was gone 4 picks before toronto's pick. I understand teams trade and he was being cocky but he was right in the end. Had he turned out to be a superstar no one would be saying anything about it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He wasn't wrong though, he was gone 4 picks before toronto's pick. I understand teams trade and he was being cocky but he was right in the end. Had he turned out to be a superstar no one would be saying anything about it.
What if Toronto wanted to trade up for the 1st overall pick and possibly select Yakupov. That's why we see all teams have interviews with the top rated prospects, even if they won't have a chance to draft them.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
With the benefit of hindsight it was a bad move. However at the time trading the 30th and 39th picks for the 22nd pick didn't look like a bad move to trade up. Plus no one knew who Anaheim would even select and how good they would become playing for them.

Edmonton screwed up with a 1st overall pick and it was a player their scouts didn't want. However Daryl Katz overruled them and said to select Yakupov. So that will always be worse compared to Brian Burke trading up for Tyler Biggs.
Yakupov was close to consensus 1st overall pick in Bob Mackenzies rankings that year was he not. So a majority of teams had him ranked first. It's easy to say you wont take a guy in hindsight when you know how everything played out. Hence Burke giving up Gibsons and Rakell's picks for Biggs. Oilers management can look back and say they never would have done that now because its clear that it was a screw up

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
What if Toronto wanted to trade up for the 1st overall pick and possibly select Yakupov. That's why we see all teams have interviews with the top rated prospects, even if they won't have a chance to draft them.
I literally said " I understand teams trade" in the post you quoted. But I can understand a guy being ranked #1 doing 30 interviews in a day being annoyed. Spitten chiclets made a joke about teams interviewing Mcdavid and they were picking in the 20's. Edmonton wasn't trading that pick let the kid live a little you will hear all about his reputation once his career starts.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

The point is that Burke traded up to draft a player because of his character and grit instead of his skill. Yakupov was right to think an interview with 5th overall Toronto was pointless. If he started to slide from 1st/2nd was an interview going to be what stopped the slide?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I literally said " I understand teams trade" in the post you quoted. But I can understand a guy being ranked #1 doing 30 interviews in a day being annoyed. Spitten chiclets made a joke about teams interviewing Mcdavid and they were picking in the 20's. Edmonton wasn't trading that pick let the kid live a little you will hear all about his reputation once his career starts.
I guess it's something Yakupov should have never said and kept a thought like that to himself.

Reactions: KidLine93

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The point is that Burke traded up to draft a player because of his character and grit instead of his skill. Yakupov was right to think an interview with 5th overall Toronto was pointless. If he started to slide from 1st/2nd was an interview going to be what stopped the slide?
Did you not see my reply where I said what if Toronto wanted to trade up for the 1st pick to select Yakupov. That's why all teams interview the top prospects. Plus it wouldn't have been something out of the question moving from the 5th pick to the 1st pick.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Did you not see my reply where I said what if Toronto wanted to trade up for the 1st pick to select Yakupov. That's why all teams interview the top prospects. Plus it wouldn't have been something out of the question moving from the 5th pick to the 1st pick.
Maybe he didn't want to go to Toronto and deal with their media every day. It's not his job to humor some boomer that thinks he's going to red paperclip his way into the top spot.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
It’s fine. Just cause one odd pandemic year it got a little weird doesn’t mean you gotta change the whole system.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
CRAZY IDEA:

Draw all of the picks for the ENTIRE draft, based on a weighted lottery with draw odds that goes down all the way to the end of the draft. So all 217 picks have a probability associated to them, and draw every pick until they're all gone.

Given the way the odds are weighted, the last place team might luck out with three picks in the top 30, but their odds of getting the first overall pick aren't super high.

Generational talents would be more randomly distributed throughout the league, but teams at the bottom would quickly bounce back by adding multiple talents each year.

Also, pretty sure I have a gambling problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad