Does the draft lottery system need to change?

Does the draft lottery system need to change?

• Total voters

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Yes

Just use reverse order and leave it alone. Tanking is a myth and the different lotteries have made things a bigger cluster.

Fun fact, with reverse order McDavid is a Sabre and the Oilers pick 3rd in the 2015 draft

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That depends on what you think the intent is. On the surface it's presented as preventing another Edmonton situation, but I think they're really doing it for fan interest and discussion. Clearly that's working. The Canucks have been bad for over half their 50 year history and have no first overalls and only 4 top 2 picks so I don't have a lot of sympathy for draft lottery failure.

The point of the draft is to improve the bad teams. The point of the draft is not the lottery. Unless that has now changed, I was unaware it had.

To be clear I think there should still be a lottery but the bad teams odds are not where they are supposed to be.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
The problem with that is what if the team who finished 7th worst was 1 point behind the team who finished 6th worst. Why should they be punished and not given a chance to win the 1st overall pick?

For the 2008 and 2009 draft lottery's Toronto finished 24th overall in both those years. However because you could only move up 4 spots that meant they could not win the 1st overall pick and had no chance at selecting Steven Stamkos or John Tavares. Plus in 2009 they finished with 81 points and were 2 points ahead Los Angeles who had 79 points and in the bottom 5 with a chance to get the 1st pick.

There's arbitrary cutoff points based on standings everywhere in the NHL. The playoffs themselves have an arbitrary cutoff of the top 8 teams in each conference, why is the 9th place team punished even if they're only back by 1 point?

The 24 playoff format this year is proof of that.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yes

Just use reverse order and leave it alone. Tanking is a myth and the different lotteries have made things a bigger cluster.

Fun fact, with reverse order McDavid is a Sabre and the Oilers pick 3rd in the 2015 draft
tanking isn't a myth. There were specific incidents pre-lottery that forced the league to take action.

The problem to me is that the league took the wrong tact, if the issue was that the Oilers got too many 1st overall picks. Like you say, the lottery is what delivered us those 1st overalls (except RNH and Hall), so those rules that the league made to expand the lottery could not have been a response to what happened with the Oilers.

A more obviously appropriate rule would be to just limit how many first overall picks a team can get in a certain time span.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I don't think it needs to change, but this year is stupid. No contending team should have the chance to get the top pick, that's just absurd.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Limit the lottery to the top-2 picks, and only let the bottom 8 teams participate in the lottery. Fringe playoff teams are too damm good to be getting top-3 picks.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There's arbitrary cutoff points based on standings everywhere in the NHL. The playoffs themselves have an arbitrary cutoff of the top 8 teams in each conference, why is the 9th place team punished even if they're only back by 1 point?

The 24 playoff format this year is proof of that.
Except the thing is since the 2013 draft lottery, all the non playoff teams have had a chance at winning the 1st overall pick.

If anything for this year I think the NHL should have waited and had the draft lottery after the play in round series were complete, when you knew which teams did not officially make the playoffs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
According to Brian Burke it was Yakupov's attitude.

One of Brian Burke's scouts trying to fight Yakupov doesn't say much considering Burke tried to fight Kevin Lowe for signing Penner to an OS.

FWIW Yakupov always seemed to have the best, most optimistic attitude on the Avalanche during his brief stint. Always smiling and happy despite being scratched. Nothing resembling the sullen character Burke describes.

Maybe it was just nerves and a cultural/language barrier?

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
the community loved him in edmonton. always helping out less fortunate and homeless. Didn't ask for media attention either. Word just got out from bystanders. His on ice IQ drove the hockey fanatics up the wall though.

Something is sticking in the back of my mind about him declaring that he wasn't willing to work on his defensive game. Didn't he come right out and say that he wasn't going to do that? Something along the lines of...."I'm a goal scorer, I'm not a defensive player"?

To me, that seems like a piss poor attitude.

I could be wrong, God knows I've been wrong in the past, but something is tickling my memory.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Something is sticking in the back of my mind about him declaring that he wasn't willing to work on his defensive game. Didn't he come right out and say that he wasn't going to do that? Something along the lines of...."I'm a goal scorer, I'm not a defensive player"?

To me, that seems like a piss poor attitude.

I could be wrong, God knows I've been wrong in the past, but something is tickling my memory.
Yes something like that did come out. His english was also trash so he came off very blunt with that question/answer. Ovi had similar answers when his defensive play was questioned early in his career and his english was very limited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad