Does the Art Ross change your Hart ballot for the 'Big 3'?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hart = Player deemed most valuable to his team

McDavid could sit the rest of the season and still win it. It's not a slight to either of those guys, but McDavid is more important to the Oilers than Kuch is to Tampa or Mack to Colorado.

Why? The numbers this year generally show them to all be similarly important this year. Sure he’s more important in general, but the award is for the season at hand.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
how is anybody talking about a "lock" when all 3 are at pretty much the same point total.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
You get 2 assists for every goal , do the math .
Remind me when teams are going to give space to McDavid because they aren't afraid of him scoring goals when in reality his teammates get all the space because teams are so committed to stopping him after lighting it up last year any time teams didn't respect his speed.

It really takes stat watchers to not understand the value of an assist from McDavid compared to your average player.

Last edited:
Reactions: cupface52

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Why? The numbers this year generally show them to all be similarly important this year. Sure he’s more important in general, but the award is for the season at hand.
Because I think the drop off in production you'd see on Edmonton would be much bigger than in Tampa/Colorado, without their stars. I don't think Hyman scores even 30, I think Bouchards point totals get cut in half, I don't think they sniff a WC spot.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
As an aside, I actually think Auston Matthews should at least be in the conversation though I concede falling out of the top 3. If anything he's underrated in the overall game and influence which should mark Hart candidates. Was talking about this with a buddy the other day (both not Leafs first fans) and we were in total agreement that whenever Matthews is on the ice he is absolutely a dominant threat continually. On par with the other big names if not maybe a millifraction off. It's the truth.
Matthews is 30 points behind those other guys. Yes he has scored more goals but contributed to far less goals so I dont think he would be close to the top 3 for the Hart

Reactions: Macheteops

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
There's a bigger gap between Mack and 3rd/4th/5th/6th place on his place than there is between Kucherov and his counterparts. By definition, Mack would be more deserving than Kuch.

Rantanen 100p > Point 82p
Nichushkin 50p < Stamkos 67p
Drouin 48p < Hagel 67p
Colton 36p < Cirelli 41p
Lehkonen 27p < Paul 39p

The "Bigger gap in points" I think is a silly argument.
Ya only the point gap over second matters. they won’t care about the gap for fourth etc.

Reactions: Macheteops

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hart voting will be interesting this year. If Matthews hits 70 goals or close he'll likely be in the top three leaving one of MacKinnon, Kucherov, or McDavid out.

yeah but relative to kucherov and mcdavid?
Tampa without kuch and oilers without mcdavid are dumpster fires. Colorado without mackinnon is still a playoff team.
You sure about that? MacKinnon drives that offense/team.

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 are all examples of someone with at least 100 assists that didn't win. It is a nice shiny number but does the lower goal total compared to the other two go against McDavid? I think it might.
I mean it’s more that McDavid would have done something only Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr did. I think anyone besides Gretzky should get the Hart when they do something as rare as 100 assists.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Matthews is 30 points behind those other guys. Yes he has scored more goals but contributed to far less goals so I dont think he would be close to the top 3 for the Hart

I am wondering just how much more valuable Matthews has been to the Leafs than Nylander this year, because if he has been, it has been not by much.

I mean it’s more that McDavid would have done something only Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr did. I think anyone besides Gretzky should get the Hart when they do something as rare as 100 assists.

I agree, but there are a couple of other monster years here and combined with a potential voter fatigue with McDavid I am not sure he is the favourite here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad