Speculation: Does Tavares leaving New York have any bearing on future UFA's?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I think what happened between Tavares and the Islanders make other teams take notice that there is no guarantees that your star player will resign with your team. Islanders fans know that Garth Snow ****ed up this situation but Tavares is also to blame for not being up front with his intentions when it came to resigning with the Islanders. Hindsight is 20-20, but Snow should have down what Doiron in Ottawa is doing with Karlsson and what Blake in LA has down with Doughty, the year before free agency he should have sat down with Tavares and gave him a deadline when it came to resigning with the Islanders. Otherwise, depending if Tavares had a full NTC or partial then start exploring those trade avenues. Everything aligned for the Leafs to come in and entice Tavares with an offer to come home but it won't have any effect on future UFA's.
This was far from the norm so I don't think it will reflect on most situations. A struggling club and an arena issue and potential for being sold and idiot owner and awful GM and ECHL coaching staff the whole time he was here....

That is a perfect confluence of reasons to leave. If it was a flood it would be a 100 year flood.

I still do not let him off the hook for lying about wanting to leave which all his post-leaving statements confirm but I do understand why he left. I don't blame him for the reasons why he left.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I don't know it was a pretty rare case. Most players either want out or want to stay without as much indecision. Be more interesting from the PR side for the next one though. Do you say what you're expected to/ have to if you at all want to come back and risk the ****storm if you decide to leave or give complete non-answers and risk being labelled a distraction and the ****storm mideason
No **** storm in NY. Islanders get less coverage than Jamaican bobsled team. There was no reason for him to hide his intentions. That suggests he wanted to give the Isles nothing. Maybe this was a spite move for Wang and Snow wasting his RFA career. Sadly this hurt us the fans as well. I don't expect any sympathy out of Toronto fans on this board but we did get screwed in the process.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Circumstance plays a huge factor. The team the player is on and the direction they are heading in has a lot to do with it. I always thought Tavares would leave due to the Islanders defense and goaltending problems.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I find it weird that people are actually hating on Tavares because he didn't ask for a trade at the deadline.

We aren't talking about a bottom of the barrel team. Had he asked for a trade people would deserve to lose their mind that a captain would bail midseason on a team he's been with since 18yo and one that was in a playoff push.

It's not up to him to put deadlines on his intentions. At the deadline he very well wanted to stay and keep pushing away contract stuff because he wanted to focus on hockey. Managment allowed this to get to a point where he had the ability to weigh all the options.

They should have put a self imposed deadline.... if their main purpose was to gain value for a player who may leave.

Safe to say they also wanted to keep Tavares for their current playoff push, and deal with his contract after. They are 100% to blame....you can't expect anything. Don't act like Tavares is going to say anything other then " I want to stay here" etc. When asked midseason... he pushed away distractions from media. It's on managment to get him behind closed doors and lock it down....

Reactions: HockeysFinest

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There's a lot of people struggling here with the English language. Hard to blame them I guess as it seems that a lot of people in the media made the same mistake.

Tavares saying he doesn't want to be traded is not the same thing as him asking that he not be traded.

That is all.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I find it weird that people are actually hating on Tavares because he didn't ask for a trade at the deadline.

We aren't talking about a bottom of the barrel team. Had he asked for a trade people would deserve to lose their mind that a captain would bail midseason on a team he's been with since 18yo and one that was in a playoff push.

It's not up to him to put deadlines on his intentions. At the deadline he very well wanted to stay and keep pushing away contract stuff because he wanted to focus on hockey. Managment allowed this to get to a point where he had the ability to weigh all the options.

They should have put a self imposed deadline.... if their main purpose was to gain value for a player who may leave.

Safe to say they also wanted to keep Tavares for their current playoff push, and deal with his contract after. They are 100% to blame....you can't expect anything. Don't act like Tavares is going to say anything other then " I want to stay here" etc. When asked midseason... he pushed away distractions from media. It's on managment to get him behind closed doors and lock it down....

Didn’t Tavares said he’s using the off-season to become healthy? Maybe he did not want to be traded because he wanted to heal and not continue to delay being healthy... if not ever getting healthy.

Just spitballing ... islanders fans would know best about his health

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
To answer the OP's question.......you have the best player this franchise had since.......maybe ever and certainly during the modern era......leaving, most likely because of lack of support to build around him with solid players.........do you think potential UFA's won't notice that?
Regency bias or just ignorant on the organization?
Better than the likes likes of Potvin, Trottier and Bossy?:help:(not to mention LaFontaine and Turgeon)

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016

Yeah, he didn’t ask for a trade. That’s fair. He stayed and captained his team.

I’m sure if they asked him to wave his NTC/NMC he would have accepted.

It’s not like he went to the GM and demanded that he not get traded

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Didn’t Tavares said he’s using the off-season to become healthy? Maybe he did not want to be traded because he wanted to heal and not continue to delay being healthy... if not ever getting healthy.

Just spitballing ... islanders fans would know best about his health
I have a hard time seeing where JT is to blame here. It's an easy cop out; when in reality managment didn't step up when needed.

Put the player on the spot to answer tough questions. Blame him after when no one made him act on them....

Islanders were in a weird spot. They didn't want to tick off their captain midseason by putting a deadline...nor did they want to cloud a players head when they were pushing for the playoffs. But in reality... yes, yes this will change how dealings happen players in the future.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Your full of it. The photographic paper of that size alone has to be special ordered and matting and framing it is a job that usually gets sent out.

you're just another leaf fan covering for Tavares.people aren't stupid
You're actually trying to read Tavares' mind at the trade deadline based on his production of a photograph in July?

It's time to give your head a shake and get some fresh air!

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Im
I think we'll be seeing more and more of the top echelon Tavares types waiting it out til the interview window testing the waters before making a concrete decision.

I wouldn't say that Tavares will have any bearing, but that interview window sure does and will.
I'm not so sure because hockey is a violent sport and the risk of injury is high.

I was very, very surprised that Stamkos took it down to the wire and re-upped. He assumed a lot of risk to do that.

I think most players will continue to re-sign with their current teams early in the process just for peace of mind and security. Guaranteed contracts are a great thing. No contract -- no guarantee.

Those who do play it out would either have something else in mind, or they just don't have a satisfactory offer. There will be a few of the former, and a huge amount of marginal or run-of-the-mill players in the latter category.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I honestly preferred the days when I knew who played for which team across the league. I couldn't imagine a guy like Sakic or Yzerman playing for any other teams than the franchises they led all those years.

I agree to an extent.

I like when there are few players that play their whole careers with one franchise, but I also like the player movement that the NHL has.

What I WOULD HATE is for the NHL to even slightly mirror the NBA with guys trying to form "super teams"

That's a chicken shit way of trying to win.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I agree to an extent.

I like when there are few players that play their whole careers with one franchise, but I also like the player movement that the NHL has.

What I WOULD HATE is for the NHL to even slightly mirror the NBA with guys trying to form "super teams"

That's a chicken **** way of trying to win.

It's also impossible to do in the NHL.

Because of the importance of each player in basketball, one or two signings could literally win you a championship.

Lebron going to the Lakers is probably worth the equivalent of Price, Ovi, Hedman and Tavares going to a new team and even then I might be underselling what getting that big superstar does in the NBA.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Who’s the source that said Tavares asked not to be traded?

I still haven’t seen the original tweet or article and it’s been a month

I read the other poster under your post. My bad.

I think I saw tweet though.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

17 points out of a wild card 3 way tie. When you say playoff push what do you mean ? Having watched all the games I can say we were never really in a playoff push but we did finish the year with our patented don't mean crap 3 game win streak . As the thread topic goes in regard to my team we basically never sign big name FA 's anyway . Ladd was the biggest in years and he is a turd

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Pretty sure Sakic signed an offer sheet with the Rangers but Colorado matched.

He did. NYR did them dirty front loading more than 2/3rds of the contract as a signing bonus. But 5 first round picks as compensation must have been somewhat tempting. Wish we saw more big time offer sheets in today’s NHL.

Sakic Signs Offer From Rangers

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The one thing that this Tavares saga taught all GMs - be prepared to lose your superstars for nothing if you don't trade them before the deadline.

Seguin, Bobrovsky, Panarin should be hot topics if they aren't signed by February.

As a Devils fan, if Taylor Hall doesn't sign with the Devils next summer, I would hope he is traded sooner rather than later. I wouldn't want that distraction in my locker room as a GM

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
You're actually trying to read Tavares' mind at the trade deadline based on his production of a photograph in July?

It's time to give your head a shake and get some fresh air!

Yeah I'm trying to figure this out, too.

Like.. My mom has all of my childhood photos scanned and saved digitally. It would take 5 minutes for me to call her up and ask her to send me every single one of them.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
Hopefully. I just hope the next who is in Tavares’ shoes handles the situation better and inform about it earlier that he may go free agency and wont say ”dont trade me”.

So imagine being a captain of a hockey team and telling your teammates/fans you no longer want to be a part of it. How do you think you would be treated? I realize he pulled kind of a **** move but its not like he could've flat out said "I want to play for Toronto". How would've the fans reacted? The captain has a certain standard to live up to and IMO telling the media you will not be re-signing with the team your are currently captaining may not have been the best decision.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad