Speculation: Does Tavares leaving New York have any bearing on future UFA's?

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Looks like Dallas is discussing re-signing Seguin but what if they can't get it done by the TDL? Will Tavares' actions have any ripple effects on other future UFA's. What would you do of you had an elite center that was undecided by the TDL?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
MY guess is the big thing that will hurt the Islanders in the next few years is the arena(playing in 2 different arenas). Once they move to Belmont they should have less problems

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
MY guess is the big thing that will hurt the Islanders in the next few years is the arena(playing in 2 different arenas). Once they move to Belmont they should have less problems
I'm not trying to reopen a wound for Islanders fans. I think it safe to say with or without Tavares the Arena concerns are real.

This discussion is purely about elite level UFA's. They have almost always re-signed with their teams. Stamkos even went the whole season and signed just before. Will Tavares' actions have any effect on GM's or teams who get a little worried that their star may leave and therefore trade them before it happens.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I hope the NHL becomes more fluid with player movement like the NBA, better for the game imo.

My question is why hasn't that really happened that much in the past and if Tavares is just a one off or is the start of perhaps more elite level players testing the market.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This discussion is purely about elite level UFA's. They have almost always re-signed with their teams. Stamkos even went the whole season and signed just before. Will Tavares' actions have any effect on GM's or teams who get a little worried that their star may leave and therefore trade them before it happens.

I think it depends on if they are in the playoff race or not then. Assuming they not I think many teams will learn their lesson from the Islanders not to hold on some 50-50 hope(that you may feel is 80-20 at the time)

Now if you are in a playoff race you just look at it as a playoff rental and hope you can resign them come July 1

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I think it depends on if they are in the playoff race or not then. Assuming they not I think many teams will learn their lesson from the Islanders not to hold on some 50-50 hope(that you may feel is 80-20 at the time)

Now if you are in a playoff race you just look at it as a playoff rental and hope you can resign them come July 1

So all we are saying is if a team is bad enough their star players would leave? Who was the last elite level UFA that left?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imo definitely yes

A lot of times there are informal rules that are followed because people fear the unknown. Now that the league has seen Tavares go through this with no real negative repercussions it is inevitable that other superstars will try.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So all we are saying is if a team is bad enough their star players would leave? Who was the last elite level UFA that left?

Parise and Suter I would guess, then Niedermayer. Maybe the lesson is don't have Lamerillo as a GM. lol

I guess the real question is how many elite players last till the trade deadline just before they will become UFAs on bad teams. Kovalchuk comes to mind as a team who dumped him before he had a chance to sign elsewhere. Ottawa traded Spezza and Vancouver traded Kelser both with 1 year left on their deals.

Reactions: Dustin

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Not sure there will be an impact. Maybe if he has tremendous success in Toronto it would plant the odd seed.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I don't think it will have any direct bearing. Although I do think it could serve a cautionary tale for Nill. Apparently the way Parise and Ryan Suter left their longtime clubs has been forgotten by some GMs.
I guess if I was a GM with a young pending UFA #1C that was not re-signed by the TDL, I'd definitely be looking to move him. Even though it likely would not be for full value, as I would not be negotiating from a position of strength. Something is better than nothing.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not trying to reopen a wound for Islanders fans. I think it safe to say with or without Tavares the Arena concerns are real.

I don't believe so, because 99 times out of 100 the elite player is dedicated to their original team and wants to re-sign. Tavares clearly wanted the opportunity to play for his childhood team.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Most teams know they're not the shitshow the Islanders are and have a better chance of keeping their players.

Reactions: HFBS

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
It's really not. Yes the viewing numbers are good for NBA but super teams don't help the health of the league.

Also I don't think this changes much, its player to player and each situation being different.
Player movement doesn't imply super teams so that's not really relevant, but I agree that super teams are bad for most fans.

The reason you don't see more star players hit UFA is because they want to sign long contracts as soon as possible. They're playing a dangerous sport with guaranteed contracts. Waiting another year to sign might land you on your favorite team as a kid but it might also cost you tens of millions of dollars if you have a career threatening injury. Ignoring financials, players spend most of their 20's with the team that drafted them, so they've put down roots in that city.

In the rare case a player really wants to leave, it's in everyone's best interest to make that clear so they can be traded to a team they're willing to sign with ASAP. Less risk for the player (see above), the old team gets some assets and the new team gets the guy a year early.

Tavares being undecided until the last second is the unusual part, more so than the Islanders not moving him.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
It's really not. Yes the viewing numbers are good for NBA but super teams don't help the health of the league.

Also I don't think this changes much, its player to player and each situation being different.
The NBA's problem is they don't have a hard cap like the NHL. The NHL's salary cap makes it harder for super teams to be formed anyways.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I hope the NHL becomes more fluid with player movement like the NBA, better for the game imo.

Don't see that happening without shorter contract lengths.

At 8 years most players are locked in for too long to get that kind of movement.

NBA deals are 4-5 years so stars bail when they see their team on a downswing (ie LeBron etc)

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Player movement doesn't imply super teams so that's not really relevant, but I agree that super teams are bad for most fans.

The reason you don't see more star players hit UFA is because they want to sign long contracts as soon as possible. They're playing a dangerous sport with guaranteed contracts. Waiting another year to sign might land you on your favorite team as a kid but it might also cost you tens of millions of dollars if you have a career threatening injury. Ignoring financials, players spend most of their 20's with the team that drafted them, so they've put down roots in that city.

In the rare case a player really wants to leave, it's in everyone's best interest to make that clear so they can be traded to a team they're willing to sign with ASAP. Less risk for the player (see above), the old team gets some assets and the new team gets the guy a year early.

Tavares being undecided until the last second is the unusual part, more so than the Islanders not moving him.
Tavares wasnt undecided, he just didnt want to be living in a hotel for 3 months, so he lied to islander ownership and played them so he wasnt inconvenienced.

if he was as you say undecided til the last moment, Then how was a 25 year old picture located, professionally retouched, blown up, framed and matted, all on a sunday morning after midnight

come on are you really that gullible ? that kind of work takes days to prepare. dont get me wrong as a free agent he had every right to go where he wanted. but dont buy the sham. We are hockey fans, but we arent imbeciles

ask anyone who has ever planned a wedding how long it took to get their wedding albums, then tell me he was undecided to the last minute, and I'll sell you a bridge in brooklyn.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Tavares wasnt undecided, he just didnt want to be living in a hotel for 3 months, so he lied to islander ownership and played them so he wasnt inconvenienced.

if he was as you say undecided til the last moment, Then how was a 25 year old picture located, professionally retouched, blown up, framed and matted, all on a sunday morning after midnight

come on are you really that gullible ? that kind of work takes days to prepare. dont get me wrong as a free agent he had every right to go where he wanted. but dont buy the sham. We are hockey fans, but we arent imbeciles

ask anyone who has ever planned a wedding how long it took to get their wedding albums, then tell me he was undecided to the last minute, and I'll sell you a bridge in brooklyn.
Still pissed?

The conclusion you draw is not self-evident from the evidence you cite. It's pretty thin reasoning.

You should go do something fun -- away from the Islanders -- and just forget about Tavares.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Hopefully. I just hope the next who is in Tavares’ shoes handles the situation better and inform about it earlier that he may go free agency and wont say ”dont trade me”.

Reactions: LamorielloAndSon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad